New closed headphones, or keep two amps?
Mar 6, 2006 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

doctorjuggles

Member of the Trade: Cable Builder
Hi all, I hope I can get some good advice on an issue I'm having.

I currently have a pair of HD650s and a pair of Beyer DT770-250ohms. I've been running both of them through a Headsave Classic amp, which does a great job on both of them.

However, I've recently borrowed an ANT Amber amp, which sounds absolutely fabulous with the HD650s and because of this, I plan on buying the Amber.

Unfortunately, though, the Amber emphasises the brightness of the Beyers far more than the Headsave Classic ever did.

Now I really need a good pair of closed cans for those times when I'm up and listening late at night and don't want to bother the other half. So I'm currently debating whether to keep the Classic (which isn't a bright amp and so matches well with the DT770s) or whether I should sell the Classic and the DT770s and upgrade to a set of closed cans that don't have the same excitable top end as the 770s.

I guess what I'd like to know is, am I likely to find another set of closed phones that are similar to the HD650s. The 650s are great for me because their top-end is a lot more relaxed and smooth, which suits me down to the ground as my ears really hurt on the top end. I guess 'sibilance' kicks in for me a lot lower than it does for others.

So in a nutshell, I'm after a closed can that sounds as close to the HD650s as possible (I realise that many feel there isn't one, but it's worth asking around.)
I don't mind if it errs on the bassy side, as I prefer a warmer, bassier sound. If someone says "these cans are a little less detailed than the 650s with a little more bass" they'd be just about right in what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions? Price is variable, I'd prefer not to spend much more than $300, but if there's a closed can out there for $400 and it's miles better than anything else I'm looking at, I'd happily rather pay the extra, but I don't want to throw money away for the sake of it, as they'd effectively be my second set of cans.

Alternatively I'd keep the Classic, but that's most definitely Plan B at this stage.

Thanks for any advice!

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks jagorev.
Any other opinions?
CD3000s, perhaps one of the Audio Technica range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back