New CIAudio DAC
Apr 26, 2002 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rajan

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking of posting this in one of the ART DI/O threads but thought otherwise. I happened to see this in stereotimes.com site. I searced the web for reviews but it looks like it is too new to have one.

I wonder if there are early adopters of this DAC within the community. Pricewise, it competes with a Boldercable fully modded ART DI/O at $350 and an MSB Link DAC.

Oh yeah, this is a Channel Islands Audio VDA-1 DAC at $349. It will be nice if someone can compare this with the ART soundwise as I feel that this has a better commercial configuration in terms of inputs and outputs.

PS Vert, if your ART does not work, you can opt to try this as the form factor is similar to a CAL Gamma DAC.

Apr 27, 2002 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 5
Looks nice, and has interesting choice of components. First DAC I've seen that uses Burr Brown receiver chip (I myself use newer version DIR1703 in my portable DAC).

Apr 27, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 5
Some of the folks over at AA have tried it, generally w/ positive results..it has an impeccable pedigree, though, since it's a Dusty Vawter (of Audio Alchemy fame) design.

Apr 27, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Some guys at HarmonicDiscord have done a shootout w/ the CI Audio DAC, a modded Art DI/O, and a Bel Canto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back