New Carbon Announcements
Jan 6, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 18
Well, the Pearl white one is a carbon, but the second one, is not...

They are calling it a CE2100 and it is apparently smaller than the carbon (and cheaper!) with the same outstanding battery life. Also it will most definitely be plug and play like the Carbon, so that will pretty much replace the Nitrus.

Looks interesting...

Jan 6, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 18
I was going to write out the full name, but since it looks just like a carbon, i am too lazy to write out all those letters and numbers they give different models.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
I was going to write out the full name, but since it looks just like a carbon, i am too lazy to write out all those letters and numbers they give different models.
biggrin.gif

Let me introduce you to copy/paste...
biggrin.gif

j/k

Cheers.

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by CNET
However, it'll be hard for it to compete against the Apple iPod Mini's seductive brand name, especially at the same $249 price.

Wrong

Nothing like reading a CNET article to make me lose faith in electronics editorial sites.

I do like the look of it, though.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thisp
Wrong

Nothing like reading a CNET article to make me lose faith in electronics editorial sites.

Yeah, but the retail price is the same, and that's the only price MOST PEOPLE are ever going to see.

We know better, most don't. Most don't even know that there really are alternatives to the iPod, let alone that they might be better.

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 18
It is true that most people use the retail price, but most people also know that there are alternatives to iPod, i havent met a person who didnt know there were options other than the iPod for big storage mp3.

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
It is true that most people use the retail price, but most people also know that there are alternatives to iPod, i havent met a person who didnt know there were options other than the iPod for big storage mp3.

Granted, they may know other things exist. But, if you ask them, they'll tell you that the iPod is better. They probably won't be able to tell you HOW it's better, but they'll be QUITE CERTAIN that it is, and that they would never get anything but an iPod. Trust me, my friend just got an iPod Mini, despite my trying to talk him out of it, and introducing him to the other options around.

For most people, the alternatives may as well not exist, because they're never going to consider them. Apple marketing at its finest.

Anyways, back on topic, it seems to me that the CE2100 would be a way better option for most people than a flash player. It's 2.5x-5x the capacity, about the same size (at least compared to iRiver/Rio/etc. players that have screens), and about the same price (I'm guessing ~$150 online, similar to the Carbon's discount). So, while it may seem illogical on Rio's part to have half the capacity at only $50 less, it does make sense, especially considering the success of micro-size players in general.

Jan 6, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 18
hmm the CE2100 could be a good replacement for my 1.5GB nitrus. I love small stuff. It should work well with my SuperDual amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
Granted, they may know other things exist. But, if you ask them, they'll tell you that the iPod is better. They probably won't be able to tell you HOW it's better, but they'll be QUITE CERTAIN that it is, and that they would never get anything but an iPod. Trust me, my friend just got an iPod Mini, despite my trying to talk him out of it, and introducing him to the other options around.

For most people, the alternatives may as well not exist, because they're never going to consider them. Apple marketing at its finest.

Anyways, back on topic, it seems to me that the CE2100 would be a way better option for most people than a flash player. It's 2.5x-5x the capacity, about the same size (at least compared to iRiver/Rio/etc. players that have screens), and about the same price (I'm guessing ~$150 online, similar to the Carbon's discount). So, while it may seem illogical on Rio's part to have half the capacity at only $50 less, it does make sense, especially considering the success of micro-size players in general.

Just shows how well apple does what they do. There may be better players out there for people, but they dont know it because the other players dont have any marketing. That is whats needed to take down the iPod, not a better player, but marketing. If people dont know it exists, they wont buy it. Same with Bose and all the companies like Bose.

Jan 7, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by madcow235
the carbon destroys the karmas ugly image. I like it alot
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe I can get rid of this clunky iPod that everyone and their dog has now because its "cool"

I agree. I didn't see the point to that player until I saw one in person next to my Karma - one's an ugly, plastic brick, while the other's a sleek, classy looking player smaller than most pocket mirrors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back