New Car
Jan 21, 2008 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
One of our cars got wrecked. I had to buy a new car a few years earlier than I had planned. I didn't feel like having a big car payment, so we took the insurance settlement, financed the bare minimum, and picked up a Honda Civic EX-L.

So far, I really enjoy the car. It has a 5-speed slush box, so the engine revs relatively low at 60 mph. That makes for a much quieter car at cruising speeds.

As far as features, it has just about everything our '07 Altima 3.5 SE has except:
1. Auto-dimming mirror
2. 6-disc CD Changer (in dash)
3. Power-adjusted seats
4. Climate control on the AC
5. Push-button start
6. 270+ hp V-6 engine that is smooth as butter and growls like a refined beast
7. CVT tranny
8. Traction control and some other stability control stuff (at least I don't think the Civic has those things)

However, it is superior to the Altima in the following ways:
1. It is silver, so it won't need to be washed as often for cosmetic purposes.
2. It is rated at 25/36 mpg, and the Altima is at 22/28 (with a strong tailwind going downhill and me as the only occupant)
3. The instrumentation layout is superior, and the gauges are easier to see.
4. Buttons and switches just seem more solid.
5. It has a cargo net in the trunk.
biggrin.gif

The stereo in the Civic doesn't measure up to the 10-speaker Bose rig in the Altima, that's for sure.
wink.gif
However, I'll take the Honda's blue backlighting over the Altima's orangish stuff.

Anyone else around here have to buy a car earlier than planned as of late?

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 27
yeah am in the final stages of getting rid of a 05 toyota sienna and picking up a 08 honda odyssey ex-l with dvd...man..you may laugh but these freaking minivans are approaching luxury car accoutrements...very nice as borat would say.....

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah am in the final stages of getting rid of a 05 toyota sienna and picking up a 08 honda odyssey ex-l with dvd...man..you may laugh but these freaking minivans are approaching luxury car accoutrements...very nice as borat would say.....

I agree. Good choice with the Odyssey.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely the feel of riding in a new car is awesome. I bought my 2008 Mazda 3 around September. I always liked the mazda line... and you can imagine how excited I got when I saw the 2008 version comes with factory-standard aux in.

My 2007 has it...

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Definitely the feel of riding in a new car is awesome. I bought my 2008 Mazda 3 around September. I always liked the mazda line... and you can imagine how excited I got when I saw the 2008 version comes with factory-standard aux in.

Hey I just got an 08 Mazda 3 as well and I am lovin it. Just replaced with air filter with a K&N, its zoom zoom all da way!

Btw, to the OP, congrats on your new car, yes it is an awesome feeling!

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 2007 has it...

really? I never saw one with it. Standard? Are you sure?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I just got an 08 Mazda 3 as well and I am lovin it. Just replaced with air filter with a K&N, its zoom zoom all da way!

Btw, to the OP, congrats on your new car, yes it is an awesome feeling!

Galaxy Gray (color)?

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 27
My crumbling old '95 Jetta got totaled about a year before i'd planned on making car payments again.

'03 GTI 1.8T is much better. 'reflex silver' isn't as dirt-hiding as 'champagne' was on the jetta, though.

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 27
I love those Nissan 3.5L engines

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 2007 has it...

I believe they started with the 07 (I have the 06).

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 27
Both our cars have that "aux" thing for DAPs. I used my iPod in the Altima, and it was cool. Only thing is I need a longer connection so I can tuck the iPod away safely in a compartment.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both our cars have that "aux" thing for DAPs. I used my iPod in the Altima, and it was cool. Only thing is I need a longer connection so I can tuck the iPod away safely in a compartment.

My Mazda has the aux in inside the little box compartment/armrest between the two front seats. so i simply tuck inm y irver h320 in there, close the lid, out of sight, set to go!

Jan 22, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #15 of 27
I haven't bothered to locate it on the Civic yet, but the Altima has it right on the front panel of the sound system. I thought that was a pretty dopey place for it. Although, if I have about an 18-20 inch cable, I can tuck it away in a front storage compartment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back