New cans, jobless budget. Novice knowledge. Keen ears. Not a good mix.
Jan 3, 2008 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

strangedaze39

Member of the Trade: HeadCoverage
Ok so I'm on a tight budget seeing I recently lost my job, so I have 350usd tops to play with. Although the less I have to spend the better in my situation.

Currently I own a pair of Aless' Music Series 1's that are beat to nothing, so these aren't going to cut it anymore. The cans before they were beat up were lovely and I enjoyed the sound they gave me except they have a small soundstage I believe thats what you guys call it. I'm running them through my DFI ALC885 onboard soundcard into my M-Audio Studio Pro 3 Ref speakers that have a internal amp, then lastly into the MS1's. Yeah gross.

So I figured I need to change 2 things for sure. 350usd
1. My soundcard is getting traded out for a alien dac I'm building. 40usd
2. My headphones ?
3. Bonus would be a SOHA tube amp. 80usd

That leaves me with 230usd for my headphones, that is expecting I buy the Soha amp.

Questions, and Concerns.

1. I would like a wide soundstage.

2. If I bought a pair of SR125's or SR225's and turned them into woodys basically cloning the look of the RS-1 and increased air flow would I get similar results as the RS-1 ?

3. I'm very interested in the K701's as well would my soha kit from Glass Jar Audio be able to power these ?

4. Not sure about the HD580 but heard that they're the same as the HD600 and people love them, so they are a potential canidate.

5. Should I save the 80 dollars from the SOHA kit because it wont matter in quality as much as a different upgrade would be ? BTW I have a old yamaha late 70's stereo amp that works well that I could use. Along with the M-Audio SP3 amp.

I am open to any suggestions, thank you for your time as I am sure you guys are sick of these kind of threads.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 14
I said I have 350 dollars to spend. Why do I need a job first ?

BTW I thought about it and I'm kinda leaning toward a SR225 Woody Mod and possible recable. Or maybe the SR125.

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 14
Because when you're jobless you should hold onto your cash in case you don't get a job and you need to pay rent for example.

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 14
if you are looking for a very wide soundstage the sr series isnt the way to go. unless you really like the grado sound, i'd suggest choosing another headphone for the soundstage quality

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 14
Just to clarify. I'm not going to starve or be homeless if I spend all my cash today. I'm currently in college and do not have bills thankfully for now or even for a couple more years.

Any thoughts on the SOHA amp idea ? Tangsta what other headphone would you suggest ?

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 14
Um... Don't you also need enclosures for the amp and DAC? That's gonna be more money out of your pocket
frown.gif
. BTW, Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet. (Man, I always wanted to say that
tongue.gif
)

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 14
The SOHA is nice but SOHA 1 lacks output power except when coupled with a buffer that you can't just buy.

SOHA 2 is on it's way. No ETA yet, but it's coming.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um... Don't you also need enclosures for the amp and DAC? That's gonna be more money out of your pocket
frown.gif
. BTW, Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet. (Man, I always wanted to say that
tongue.gif
)

HAHA well I'm glad you finally got to use that saying, As for an enclosure I'm just going to make one out of spare birch wood I have laying around or a old cigar box.

Eric you were saying that the SOHA's are nice but wouldn't help much ?

And what matters most are the phones being Affordable, and sounding A+ for music like Bjork, Radiohead, Jimmy Hendrix, Classical, and Beatles ect.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 14
for wide sound stage, you should consider SONY SA5000. Once in a while they pop up in the For Sale section for a little over $200 or even less. K701 has wide sound stage but the sound is so 'artificial' and you probably won't like them coming from Grado.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #13 of 14
I'd consider putting all cash on headphones. I picked Senns 650 for $310.00. Then made do with a basic portable amp to boost my ipod on the road at $119.00 (I know this is over budget). In six months I will replace the amp with a tube version, but love the Senn 650's headphones.

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangedaze39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eric you were saying that the SOHA's are nice but wouldn't help much ?

No, just saying that digi01's soha board is mere weeks from obsolescence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back