New Canalphone User - Initial Impressions
Jun 17, 2005 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

newguy

100+ Head-Fier
About 2 years ago I briefly tried a pair of Etys and could not insert them properly and returned them. Well I decided to take another chance and ordered a pair Shure E4Cs from Todd Green. They arrived today and I experimented with the various tips and I am initially happiest with the small Soft Flex Sleeves. They are comfortable. I like the isolation. The bass does not seem overwhelming which makes me wonder if I have inserted them properly. I like the sound and the comfort. But I can also hear a lot of detail and at times it sounds like the music is coming from inside my head. I like them so far. I also think they'll take some getting used to.

Any pointers for a newbie would be very welcome.

My source is my iPod.

Jun 17, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 7
NewGuy:

I also have the E4C's and have been experimenting with them for a week or so. I'm growing to appreciate them more and more with time...

I lowered the volume all of my ITunes/IPOD tunes using MP3Gain (85 average album gain). Now, with the IPOD Bass Booster EQ, the E4C's don't clip or otherwise distort. I still don't extend the IPOD volume to more than 90% of max and the loudness is plenty.

Like you, I find the smallest size of the soft flex tips the most comfortable with a good seal and easy insertion/removal. I have been applying the earpieces backwards, meaning R in left ear and L in right ear so that I can tilt the angled drivers in toward the ear canal and let the chord hang straight down. I've been reasonably pleased with the bass response, but it is certainly not spectacular. Tonight, for grins, I tried flipping them, but tilting them up (as pictured in the brochure) and running the chord over the ear. I was surprised that the bass response was noticeably better with this insertion method although, for the life of me, I cannot explain why.
confused.gif

KenB

Jun 17, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks KenB. It's helpful to hear your experience. I've had them in for about an hour and don't want to take them out. I really like what I'm hearing. There is less bass than with the Koss KSC75s but the overall experience is much better and the isolation I think will be great on the subway when the noise sometimes really competes with what I am listening to.

I need more time with them obviously but I can say when I hear a vocalist accompanied by a piano I am blown away. But not so by the bass I hear.

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 7
You might have better luck with the tri-flanges or foamies for better bass performance. A deeper/more isolating seal helps. But the E4c, while it has nice rich bass, does suffer from a modest bass deficiency straight out of the iPod (IMHO). If that's okay with you, I think they're fantastic for this application. Unfortunately, it appears there's no perfect canalphone yet in this category/price range.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #5 of 7
Newguy has been around since summer of 03'. I think its time for a different name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back