NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Nov 5, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #3,437 of 3,483
How do people like the Comply Foam tips?? I use them regularly on my Atlas. Best fit and comfort I’ve found for me.

I know others experiences will be very different.
Comply™ Professional Noise Isolating Earphone Replacement Tips | for NuForce, ISOtunes PRO, Q-Jays, Etymotic Research, Westone, Shure & More |Size Large, 3 Pairs https://a.co/d/biSuwpA

Nov 5, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #3,438 of 3,483
How do people like the Comply Foam tips?? I use them regularly on my Atlas. Best fit and comfort I’ve found for me.

I know others experiences will be very different.
Comply foam tips are good but expensive and don't seem to retain their slow expansion after compressing them for me so can be difficult to fit after a week or so of use, making them very poor value for money.

I'm currently using a generic foam tip from Amazon that are half the price for twice as many that seem just as good.

Nov 5, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #3,439 of 3,483
Comply foam tips are good but expensive and don't seem to retain their slow expansion after compressing them for me so can be difficult to fit after a week or so of use, making them very poor value for money.

I'm currently using a generic foam tip from Amazon that are half the price for twice as many that seem just as good.
Very cool. What is the model number or name of them ? I’d like to check them out. Thank you for your response. :)

Nov 5, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #3,440 of 3,483
Very cool. What is the model number or name of them ? I’d like to check them out. Thank you for your response. :)
They are SONICFOAM Memory Foam Earbud Tips from Amazon UK. I'm not sure if that brand is available on other Amazon sites though. Other generic foam tips are available though, you just have to try a few until you find one that works for you.

I've only been using them for a couple of weeks but I'm still on the first pair, around 20h use with no sign of any degradation so far.

Nov 6, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #3,441 of 3,483
They are SONICFOAM Memory Foam Earbud Tips from Amazon UK. I'm not sure if that brand is available on other Amazon sites though. Other generic foam tips are available though, you just have to try a few until you find one that works for you.

I've only been using them for a couple of weeks but I'm still on the first pair, around 20h use with no sign of any degradation so far.
That sounds excellent. I’ll look into them. Thank you, friend.

Nov 7, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #3,442 of 3,483
Sadly driver flex with those for me causes massive attenuation of the sound even when I just move my head or my jaw.

Yep I tried that, its just not comfortable for me, my odd ear canal shape I think, it goes almost vertical, my Dr once commented that I'm odd in that respect. :)
I had this issue when I first got the atlas—the combination of driver flex and suction such that the driver doesn’t flex back and you get attenuated sound. One thing you can try if you are getting this problem and don’t want to keep trying different tips is to take a piece of yarn or soft string, and place it in between the nozzle and the tip (running along the length of the nozzle/tip not around) so that it creates a little channel that allows some air pressure equalization. You can cut the string to be shorter than the tip is long so you don’t feel it or notice it in any way, but that can loosen the seal just enough to equalize the pressure and allow the driver to flex back so you get full volume and performance from the driver.

Nov 7, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #3,443 of 3,483
I had this issue when I first got the atlas—the combination of driver flex and suction such that the driver doesn’t flex back and you get attenuated sound. One thing you can try if you are getting this problem and don’t want to keep trying different tips is to take a piece of yarn or soft string, and place it in between the nozzle and the tip (running along the length of the nozzle/tip not around) so that it creates a little channel that allows some air pressure equalization. You can cut the string to be shorter than the tip is long so you don’t feel it or notice it in any way, but that can loosen the seal just enough to equalize the pressure and allow the driver to flex back so you get full volume and performance from the driver.
Good idea, I will give that a try. I wonder if a small pin hole in a suitable place on the tip would achieve the same thing?

Nov 8, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #3,444 of 3,483
Good idea, I will give that a try. I wonder if a small pin hole in a suitable place on the tip would achieve the same thing?
It might—I once tried to poke a small hole in some silicone tips with a pin/needle and found that the hole did not really stay open, resealing because of the flex in the silicone. But you may have better luck, particularly if you experiment with hole size and placement.

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #3,445 of 3,483
It might—I once tried to poke a small hole in some silicone tips with a pin/needle and found that the hole did not really stay open, resealing because of the flex in the silicone. But you may have better luck, particularly if you experiment with hole size and placement.
I thought that too, its just a property of silicone. I was thinking of drilling a hole with a 0.5mm or smaller drill and a Dremel not done it yet though. If I get a chance I may try over the weekend and post back here.

The thing is I really like the sound the Atlas produces with foam tips so I'm wondering if for me its worth it.

Nov 11, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #3,446 of 3,483
1668202668414.png

Step 3 here has completely eliminated driver flex for me, regardless of tips used. YMMV

Nov 12, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #3,447 of 3,483
1668202668414.png
Step 3 here has completely eliminated driver flex for me, regardless of tips used. YMMV
I'm not doing that everyone stares at me on the train and in the office. :wink:

Just kidding, I've tried it and after a while the driver flex is back, nope foam tips for me and I don't understand why everyone is so scared of foam to be honest. No matter how good a fit I have earwax/grease and sweat always causes silicone tips to depart my ears and I have to keep refitting the IEM. Foam tips, I can fit once in the morning and take them out five hours later, no problem.

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #3,448 of 3,483
Are the Atlas still worth it in 2023 ?

Apr 20, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #3,450 of 3,483
Are the Atlas still worth it in 2023 ?
That a bit tricky question. At one hand i really do like them being in my rotation after close to 4 yrs of ownership. All the people that have tried it also love it. But truthfully speaking, they have a glaring flaw and its the finnicky fit. They are heavy and being a bullet type it bogs you down fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back