NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
May 5, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #3,211 of 3,483
No they don't. The Atlas were my first upper echelon IEM-- the first one that truly blew my mind-- and I'll always have a soft spot for them in my heart. It's too bad they were more-or-less overshadowed by the Solaris almost immediately after they were released. Still, they have-- very slow but steadily-- been developing a fan base during the past year. The fact that you can have the Atlas in your stable alongside the Legend X and still justify keeping it is interesting to me...I haven't heard an Atlas in over a year. Since it's pretty much a buyer's market for the Atlas right now I may wind up picking one up just to see how it sounds to me after everything I've been through in the time since I sold it.
The atlas is definitely an underdog iem. I’ve had a pair since they first came out have have kept it and still listen to it regularly despite having gotten a number of other top tier iems since. They’re not my most used iem, but they always put a smile on my face and always surprise me whenever I go back to them by how good they are. I use my itsfit fusions and Solaris more, but if I just want to listen to music and rock out, they’re tough to beat. Everything sounds great on them, even crappy recordings, and yet they are still detailed and remarkably well rounded given how much bass they have. I listened to them head to head with legend x a few years ago and while the legend x’s we’re definitely better technically (more slam, bigger soundstage, better layering, higher resolution, etc), the differences were less than I thought they would be and I actually ended up preferring the atlas because it just made everything sound great—you just enjoy the music rather than try to pick the music apart to analyze the equipment.

May 5, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #3,212 of 3,483
The atlas is definitely an underdog iem. I’ve had a pair since they first came out have have kept it and still listen to it regularly despite having gotten a number of other top tier iems since. They’re not my most used iem, but they always put a smile on my face and always surprise me whenever I go back to them by how good they are. I use my itsfit fusions and Solaris more, but if I just want to listen to music and rock out, they’re tough to beat. Everything sounds great on them, even crappy recordings, and yet they are still detailed and remarkably well rounded given how much bass they have. I listened to them head to head with legend x a few years ago and while the legend x’s we’re definitely better technically (more slam, bigger soundstage, better layering, higher resolution, etc), the differences were less than I thought they would be and I actually ended up preferring the atlas because it just made everything sound great—you just enjoy the music rather than try to pick the music apart to analyze the equipment.

You're right that they make everything sound great. I dare say there is some of my music that hasn't sounded better on anything I've had since...which is saying quite a lot. If my financial situation had been better at the time I never would have sold them after getting Solaris as the two make a wonderful complimentary pair.

May 6, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #3,213 of 3,483
Bought the Atlas last week. So far absolutely loving them. It is such a treat to go back with these and listen to albums i've heard many times before. The bass and low end energy on these while still retaining so much clarity and separation is just so fun.

So far only issue is I would like to keep them in pristine condition, but feels clunky to put each earbud inside the individual cloth cases every time I put them away. Any recommendation on ways to keep them safe / scratch free for portable storage?

May 6, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #3,214 of 3,483
Bought the Atlas last week. So far absolutely loving them. It is such a treat to go back with these and listen to albums i've heard many times before. The bass and low end energy on these while still retaining so much clarity and separation is just so fun.

So far only issue is I would like to keep them in pristine condition, but feels clunky to put each earbud inside the individual cloth cases every time I put them away. Any recommendation on ways to keep them safe / scratch free for portable storage?

You need CFA's dual mesh pouch. It's essentially the same thing but they're connected and imho easier to deal with. I don't know why they went with the separate ones for the Atlas.

May 6, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #3,215 of 3,483
You need CFA's dual mesh pouch. It's essentially the same thing but they're connected and imho easier to deal with. I don't know why they went with the separate ones for the Atlas.

I’ve had the Atlas for about 2 years now and yes they have scratches but I still love them. Have been fortunate to own many other IEMs including Solaris SE. Pairing the Atlas with the Lotoo 6000 and Leonidas II tightens the bass, increases depth to the mids and adds a touch more sparkle in the treble. Elevated and enhanced an already engaging and addictive signature.

May 6, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #3,216 of 3,483
I’ve had the Atlas for about 2 years now and yes they have scratches but I still love them. Have been fortunate to own many other IEMs including Solaris SE. Pairing the Atlas with the Lotoo 6000 and Leonidas II tightens the bass, increases depth to the mids and adds a touch more sparkle in the treble. Elevated and enhanced an already engaging and addictive signature.

Do you not have the SE anymore? The OG Solaris was what lead me away from the Atlas. Had to sacrifice some bass but that holographic stage was too much to resist.

May 6, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #3,217 of 3,483
Do you not have the SE anymore? The OG Solaris was what lead me away from the Atlas. Had to sacrifice some bass but that holographic stage was too much to resist.
Totally agree with your assessment of the two IEMs! Had the OG and I still have the SE as it is compliments the Atlas so well. BTW, I’ve really enjoyed your reviews and following your journey in this ephemeral yet immensely enjoyable hobby. To think it all started for me with a pair of $50 Klipsch S4’s.

May 7, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #3,218 of 3,483

I’ve always used the two fabric pouches that came with the Atlas to store them. I’ve had them for well over a year now and they still look like new. I don’t think it’s too much effort to ask to keep your £1200 iems in perfect condition is it? 😉 Each to their own... maybe I’m just OCD

May 7, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #3,219 of 3,483
Just got these. I was a little underwhelmed at first (expecting huge midbass or insane resolution) but I took some time with them; and they are really balanced for a more bass-oriented IEM. Really really nice with strings (cello, violins, etc.); timbre is spot on IMO. Bass was not as excessive as I heard some say; actually maybe on some songs like electronica. I do wish the bass was faster, but the midrange makes up for it. And the treble is really quick and extends well without being fatiguing. In my opinion these sound similar to the older LCD-2's but with better speed, PRAT, and treble extension. Going to spend more time with them. I wonder what EQ'ing will do for them..hmmm. (Another mention; Sub bass is pretty powerful though)

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #3,220 of 3,483
Just got these. I was a little underwhelmed at first (expecting huge midbass or insane resolution) but I took some time with them; and they are really balanced for a more bass-oriented IEM. Really really nice with strings (cello, violins, etc.); timbre is spot on IMO. Bass was not as excessive as I heard some say; actually maybe on some songs like electronica. I do wish the bass was faster, but the midrange makes up for it. And the treble is really quick and extends well without being fatiguing. In my opinion these sound similar to the older LCD-2's but with better speed, PRAT, and treble extension. Going to spend more time with them. I wonder what EQ'ing will do for them..hmmm. (Another mention; Sub bass is pretty powerful though)

Are they used or new? The DD changes a lot in the Atlas after prolonged use.

May 7, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #3,221 of 3,483
The Atlas needs at least 150 hours to settle in.

May 7, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #3,223 of 3,483
May 7, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #3,224 of 3,483
Oh really? I never understood burn-in; how does it work? And what do they sound like after burn-in?
There are 2 ways to break them in.

1) Use them with the expectation that the sound will be changing until you hit 150 or more hours of listening.
2) Hook them up and play random music tracks at your normal listening level for the 150 hours.So do this for 6-7 days and then listen to them.

May 7, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #3,225 of 3,483
Oh really? I never understood burn-in; how does it work? And what do they sound like after burn-in?
It's a bit of a contentious topic. Supposedly the drivers will fully settle into place after some usage and because of that, there will be some audible changes as they settle. There's also some discussion with cables and dacs/amps that they need burn in too.

It's contentious because there is not a lot of objective evidence (or none really) to show any differences. Somehow also nothing ever seems to get worse after burnin, it's always mentioned positively, which also shouldn't be true. There's also a question that if things are better after burn in, why don't manufacturers just do it before selling them?

And there's a very real subjective phenomenon that we call brain burn-in where you just adjust to things you listen to a lot, to the point that they start to just sound "correct", even if no actual change has happened.

So, some swear by burn in, others, like me, think it's much more likely brain burn in.

So, you can do a dedicated burn in session as was described, or just use them normally. I personally just listen. If my headphones truly do change, I can enjoy the journey as I use them, and if they don't, then nothing gained or lost.

Also for the atlas, my experience was that after I adjusted to the sound, the bass felt much more balanced with the rest of the sound whereas originally they sounded very bass heavy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back