NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Apr 18, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #3,166 of 3,483
I definitely agree, atlas needs time investment to sound good, you have to be quite particulate with the nuances it makes when rolling cables/tips.

I couldn't agree more. Atlas requires ones time to be tuned in properly.

As someone who's been owning the Atlas for about a year now I'd like to share my experience with it as well as some tips to what I did to it to make it sound exceptional to my ears.

First off , burn in. This , as a dynamic driver , requires it and Atlas especially.
Overwhelming low end at first starts to begin seattling at about the 100hr mark, but I could hear changes up until 300hr, some say 500hr even.

The FR it then has to my ears needed EQ. As someone who prefers faster , dynamic music , rock and mostly metal I needed to eq the low end , especially at around 200hz by -3db and boost the midrange at 1200hz a bit.

Then came the ear tips.
This IEM is very sensative to fit and ear tip type.
As for the fit I found the Atlas sounds best with a fully sealed(non-loose) fit.
This however brigs me to the Atlas's biggest issue.
The driver flex.
Whenever I could get a good fit and seal that would introduce a complete or partial loss of sound coming from the monitor known as "driver flex".
Driver flex , as many of you know, occurs due to the vacuum created between the driver and the ear drum that disabbles the driver to move and thus create sound.
I believe this issue Atlas is especially prone to as its driver is very thin and light , as most high end DD membranes tend to be.

Foam tips would likely avoid this, but I found them to mess up the sound the most for me.
After testing many tips , I found the best for the Atlas sound wise to be the Spiral Dots by JVC (or the newer ++ )
But as they are made of silicon, a full seal fit would make driver flex a very common occurrence.
After a lot of frustration I have figured a solution to this.
I simply took a 14 gauge IM needle and pierced a few holes through the JVC tips ( at the tip of the boar).
This allowed air pressure to normalise after insertion in the ear and avoid the driver flex.
The pirced holes must not be too many or too wide as you would then loose the ability to have a full seal.
I found 5 holes around the tip with a 14 g needle to be sufficient.
Driver flex would still sometimes occur but much less frequent.

As for cable rolling I couldn't recommend the Alo Audio SXC8 more!
Even Ken Ball @KB recommended this pairing :)
This, to me , brings the Atlas to a whole new level of SQ and fidelity.

And lastly I found the Atlas to sound its apsolute best when playing through a quality set up REALLY LOUD.
This might sound weird to some but I recommend you give it a try at least.
I love listening at a few steps down from painful anyway but simply put I found this vastly increases bass timbre , positioning/imaging and provides a vary realistic treble presentation.

So to summarize I believe the Campfire Atlas is a very powerful thick sounding IEM on its own but with these tweeks regarding , Tips, Seal, Cable , Volume and Eq it juices them up to a whole new tier.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #3,167 of 3,483
I tweaked my setting slightly and updated my post above:
Type: BPF – Freq: 60hz – Gain: +0.5 db – Q: 1.0
Type: BPF – Freq: 180hz – Gain: -1.8 db – Q: 0.6
Those are the two lowest bands. Everything above that stays flat.

The wider Q on the bass reduction makes the transition smoother, and the sub-bass has been tweaked to keep it at the same level as before.

This sounds good. :)

Apr 19, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #3,168 of 3,483
Atm im running my atlas on a modded wm1a running Spring on 3.01 with E2 as its region on direct eith stock cable and razer hammerhead v1 biflange tips (these tips eliminates the resonance and makes the treble soar indefinitely!). At some songs its super similar to how z1r sounds minus the incredible separation (atlas tends to choke on complex segments).

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #3,169 of 3,483
This week if bought a 3 month year old andromeda and a brand new atlas for a grand total of £1100. Quite pleased. Can't wait for them to arrive. I already own a Sony z1r so hope these will all be a nice change

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #3,171 of 3,483
😲

Great deal!!
I was after a solaris but I kept an eye on the other two on ebay and thought sod it I'm getting them for good prices. I love my cascade headphones so am hoping I like the atlas

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #3,172 of 3,483
This week if bought a 3 month year old andromeda and a brand new atlas for a grand total of £1100. Quite pleased. Can't wait for them to arrive. I already own a Sony z1r so hope these will all be a nice change

Oh snap...looking forward to your impressions. I used to own an Atlas and still miss it sometimes. Do take a chance to demo an SE Solaris if you ever have the means...it's quite nice.

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #3,173 of 3,483
I was after a solaris but I kept an eye on the other two on ebay and thought sod it I'm getting them for good prices. I love my cascade headphones so am hoping I like the atlas

I used to own the andros, but i sold ithem because in 90% of the the i prefered the atlas... occasionally i miss them! for the price you bought these two iem‘s i would have probably kept both! enjoy!

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #3,174 of 3,483
Oh snap...looking forward to your impressions. I used to own an Atlas and still miss it sometimes. Do take a chance to demo an SE Solaris if you ever have the means...it's quite nice.
I just thought two iems with a different sq for that much was too much to miss. If I find a deal on solaris in the future I'll get them

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #3,175 of 3,483
BTW with corona worries. Is wiping down the andros with as much alcohol wipes enough to make them safe for use?

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #3,176 of 3,483
BTW with corona worries. Is wiping down the andros with as much alcohol wipes enough to make them safe for use?
I‘ve heard the virus can survive only about 48 hours on a hard surface. Depending on the ship time, a wipe down with an alcohol wipe should suffice.

Apr 20, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #3,177 of 3,483
Grats man!

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #3,178 of 3,483
Apparently they arrive today. Atlas first I think.

Apr 21, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #3,180 of 3,483
Nice, just wondering how much you paid as a guide line for the atlas (if you don't mind)?
£1100 for new atlas and 3 month old andromeda

Users who are viewing this thread

Back