NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Jul 23, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #2,926 of 3,483
I like lots of different types of music such as metal to classical to jazz. Are the atlas good all rounders?

Good enough try audition to see if they are right for you. I found the Atlas bass to be too much on some badly recorded '80s rock. But I enjoy them for most eveything else. A friend, who is a metal head, thinks the sub-bass is overwhelming and prefers other IEMs.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #2,927 of 3,483
What I don't understand: It's so easy to reduce the bass (in this case around 120 Hz) on the source side, so why renounce one of the best IEMs just because «an IEM in this price category shouldn't need equalizing»! Note that the perfect sound transducer still doesn't exist! Every single one I've heard benefits from subtle to massive tonal corrections. If you want to maximize the benefit from your gear and your listening pleasure, don't be so silly to renounce this option.

The Atlas is my favorite IEM on the go, together with the FiiO FH7.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #2,928 of 3,483
I love the Atlas but I think the Solaris is much better as an "all arounder". That said the Atlas is probably the best IEM I've ever heard for classical and instrumental jazz. The bass is perfect for those types of music, classical surprisingly so.

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #2,929 of 3,483
I love the Atlas but I think the Solaris is much better as an "all arounder". That said the Atlas is probably the best IEM I've ever heard for classical and instrumental jazz. The bass is perfect for those types of music, classical surprisingly so.
I still have to audition the Solaris, and I'm sure I will like it. But in fact I like the Atlas better than the Andromeda, not just for the superior low-frequency extension. So it's hard to imagine that I would prefer the Solaris. Of course I'm talking of an equalized Atlas. :relaxed:

X3 II EQ curve for Atlas.JPG

This curve is with Dekoni foam tips (instead of the former Comply Foams). I guess the missing wax-guard mesh is responsible for the increased treble openness with the Dekonis.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #2,930 of 3,483
I still have to audition the Solaris, and I'm sure I will like it. But in fact I like the Atlas better than the Andromeda, not just for the superior low-frequency extension. So it's hard to imagine that I would prefer the Solaris. Of course I'm talking of an equalized Atlas. :relaxed:

This curve is with Dekoni tips (instead of the former Comply Foams). I guess the missing wax-guard mesh is responsible for the increased treble openness with the Dekonis.

I vastly prefer both the Solaris and the Atlas to the Andomeda. When I initially demoed Solaris I wasn't expecting to prefer it to the Atlas...but it's holographic imaging, massive headstage and beautifully balanced sig were too enticing to pass up.

Jul 23, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #2,931 of 3,483
Thanks for the encouragement! So my interest is piqued a little more again. On the other hand I don't really need more than six high-end IEMs... :frowning:

Moreover I recently bought me a FiiO FH7. Incredible value, subjective sound quality (at least) on par with the Atlas – this with FiiOs silver cable.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #2,932 of 3,483
What I don't understand: It's so easy to reduce the bass (in this case around 120 Hz) on the source side, so why renounce one of the best IEMs just because «an IEM in this price category shouldn't need equalizing»! Note that the perfect sound transducer still doesn't exist! Every single one I've heard benefits from subtle to massive tonal corrections. If you want to maximize the benefit from your gear and your listening pleasure, don't be so silly to renounce this option.

The Atlas is my favorite IEM on the go, together with the FiiO FH7.

There are those that prefer not to use equalization, rational thinking or not. For me it goes all the way back to when I started 2-channel stereo in high school. It continues with portable audio today. The roots of the aversion are likely grounded in limited frequency controls and scratchy potentiometers in the analog days, and then early digital not sounding good. Old perceptions die hard.

But then, if I knew how to properly EQ a $50 IEM, why would I need to try out all these really good offerings?

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #2,933 of 3,483
...But then, if I knew how to properly EQ a $50 IEM, why would I need to try out all these really good offerings?
Most likely you won't find a $50 IEM that sounds as good as an Atlas or FH7, no matter how well you equalize it. Atlas, Andromeda, FH7, SE846 and IE 800 sound different enough even after being brought to very similar tonal balances. I never managed to bring the Etymotic ER-4PT to a comparable sound-quality level, despite my former conviction that multi-driver IEMs are just a way to get a better frequency response. Well, driver count isn't the equivalent to sound quality either, as the Atlas shows.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #2,934 of 3,483
There are those that prefer not to use equalization, rational thinking or not. For me it goes all the way back to when I started 2-channel stereo in high school. It continues with portable audio today. The roots of the aversion are likely grounded in limited frequency controls and scratchy potentiometers in the analog days, and then early digital not sounding good. Old perceptions die hard.

But then, if I knew how to properly EQ a $50 IEM, why would I need to try out all these really good offerings?
Frequency response is not the only thing that makes an iem sound the way it does.
If that was true, people would not have to buy different iems, they could just have eq presets, and substitute 1 iem for 50 others, hell 5000 even.
Graphs tell you next to nothing about how an iem sounds. Next to nothing....

Jul 27, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #2,935 of 3,483

Joke, guys. A joke.

Jul 27, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #2,936 of 3,483
Any tips recommended to prevent driver flex on atlas? Not got a set, asking for someone who does.

Jul 27, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #2,937 of 3,483
Any tips recommended to prevent driver flex on atlas? Not got a set, asking for someone who does.

I'm using Comply T-400 foam tips with mine, which prevents driver flex. I tried a few silicone tips but didn't work very hard at getting around flex with them, since I prefer the foam tips in general.

Jul 27, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #2,939 of 3,483
I sometimes chuckle at this thread. I have stated many times, you will be disappointed if you plug these in, out of the box and make an initial impression, these need time. Spiral Dots give the best sound, because of the wide bore, step down a size so that you receive a deep insertion and great seal. The driver flex you hear will go away. These are a super engaging IEM. Like most folks I had to get over the initial wall of bass, but believe me, with time you will be rewarded. To my ears, at this point, the Solaris is just a different signature, not better or worse.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #2,940 of 3,483
Joke, guys. A joke.
You'd be surprised. There are people on other threads EQing one iem to replace others they have on hand.
For example replacing multi BA iems with hybrid ones. It's kind of funny really :)
So yes it is a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back