NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Jul 5, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #2,896 of 3,483
I have ordered and am awaiting CA Atlas but after browsing the forum am a little concerned after learning about driver flex being an issue, given that I use silicone tips (Spinfits primarily) and don't get along well with foam. Is this likely to be an issue for me..?
It will as only silicone tips can cause driver flex

Jul 5, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #2,897 of 3,483
So quick discovery, but Atlas sounds amazingly good with Classical and large orchestral music :)

Agreed, except that I mostly hear the basses as a point source in the lower right, rather than filling the right side of the stage with sound. Kind of distracting and annoying to me. One of my few complaints about the Atlas sound.

I have ordered and am awaiting CA Atlas but after browsing the forum am a little concerned after learning about driver flex being an issue, given that I use silicone tips (Spinfits primarily) and don't get along well with foam. Is this likely to be an issue for me..?

I get driver flex from time to time. I wear my Atlas over-ear with the cord pointed between "up" and "forward". That's partly because, like briman1000 says below, I need the cord to help support the weight of the IEM and also that orientation points the sound pipe down my ear canal better than "down". I've used Spin Fit 240s (dual flange) to good effect, but their bore is too small to let all the sound through. I have also had decent luck with the included Final E, but again, I wish the bore were bigger.

Well a few things. Unless you wear them over the ear the weight will likely cause them to fall out anyway with silicon. I personally tried several different tips and settled on wearing them down with comply foams that I already had. Benefit is they stay snug, sound great, and no driver flex. Although I never experienced flex with any other tips either. Could not get them to stay in my ears either for long but my canals are small and shallow. Just try them and see. Worst case sell them. They are awesome though. I love them. Really impressed with the treble and mids presence and clarity. Bass is forceful but after a few minutes I always adjust and dont even notice. These are great for almost anything. Enjoy your purchase and don't worry about what might happen.

Which Comply do you use? And, do you push the tips into your ear canal like an ear plug, or use a foamie that's big enough to fill up your outer ear and not push the IEM in? I've tried the Isolation (medium and small) and can't get them seated properly in my ear canal. I haven't tried really big foamies to full up my outer ear, though.

I would really like to use Spiral Dots because the full diameter bore lets the last bit of treble sparkle through, but they don't insert deep enough in my ear canal to support the housing, even with the cable over ear.

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #2,898 of 3,483
Agreed, except that I mostly hear the basses as a point source in the lower right, rather than filling the right side of the stage with sound. Kind of distracting and annoying to me. One of my few complaints about the Atlas sound.

I get driver flex from time to time. I wear my Atlas over-ear with the cord pointed between "up" and "forward". That's partly because, like briman1000 says below, I need the cord to help support the weight of the IEM and also that orientation points the sound pipe down my ear canal better than "down". I've used Spin Fit 240s (dual flange) to good effect, but their bore is too small to let all the sound through. I have also had decent luck with the included Final E, but again, I wish the bore were bigger.

Which Comply do you use? And, do you push the tips into your ear canal like an ear plug, or use a foamie that's big enough to fill up your outer ear and not push the IEM in? I've tried the Isolation (medium and small) and can't get them seated properly in my ear canal. I haven't tried really big foamies to full up my outer ear, though.

I would really like to use Spiral Dots because the full diameter bore lets the last bit of treble sparkle through, but they don't insert deep enough in my ear canal to support the housing, even with the cable over ear.
You need to step down one size compared to what you generally use in Spiral Dots, ie. I generally use L but the ML are perfect with the Atlas

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #2,899 of 3,483

My 2 cents on your question...

First, driver flex will happen with Spinfits, but in my opinion and of many others here, it is the best tip for the Atlas, open sound, fantastic highs and all around balance.
It will take some time to get your ear canals used to the shape of Spinfits + Atlas, but once that's happened, driver flex will not happen much anymore. Give it some time, but don't despair, it's a matter of learning how to put them in and developing the "canal shape". Took me a couple of months, during which I had a pair of SPinfits with small holes to let the air out, and then even that wasn't needed any more.

Second, I'm not a fan of wearing them over ear, it's not their nature, just use a clip, as I and others do and have suggested in the past, pics included, and the weight will never be an issue.

Do remember Atlas needs ample burning to achieve their true sound (don't settle for less than 200 hrs and you'll see).

Hope this helps, and enjoy! They are fantastic!!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #2,900 of 3,483
You need to step down one size compared to what you generally use in Spiral Dots, ie. I generally use L but the ML are perfect with the Atlas

Understood. The problem I have is the Spiral Dots don't support the shells enough to give me a reliable fit. I get better support, but less treble, with Spin Fit or the OEM Finals.

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #2,901 of 3,483
Understood. The problem I have is the Spiral Dots don't support the shells enough to give me a reliable fit. I get better support, but less treble, with Spin Fit or the OEM Finals.
Which is the purpose of the step down, it allows a deeper insertion so the weight of the Atlas is more evenly balanced.

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #2,902 of 3,483
Which is the purpose of the step down, it allows a deeper insertion so the weight of the Atlas is more evenly balanced.
Agreed. Step down one size spiral dots has been cat’s meow for me. Wear down. Stay in fine. Deeper insertion. Haven’t looked back.

Jul 9, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #2,903 of 3,483
So quick discovery, but Atlas sounds amazingly good with Classical and large orchestral music :)
Amazingly good. The best I’ve heard. And in my estimation, the bass is perfectly rendered for this kind of music.

I go to the symphony a lot. Sometimes I wonder if people who listen to classical mostly at home, with only sporadic live symphony visits, perhaps forget the sheer sonic power that a world-class orchestra in a world-class concert hall is capable of producing. The bass hits like several tons of bricks. With the exception of the Atlas, I have never listened to an IEM that can deliver a decent approximation of the experience.

Listening to Marc Minkowski’s take on Mozart’s No. 40 in G minor, K. 550... Holy crap.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #2,904 of 3,483
Sadly, custom ADV tips for the Atlas are not for me. I can’t get used to the fit, and they alter the sound of the Atlas depending on how I have them inserted. Oh well, it was worth a shot. I’ve gone back to spiral dots and will have to limit my listening sessions to an hour or so, at which point my ears get sore from the weight.

On a happier note, I just picked up the RME ADI-2 Dac, and the Atlas blew me away on that device! Not sure if the Fiio M11 DAP is holding the Atlas back, but I’m glad I can finally hear the full potential of these babies. Now I just need to find an 8 foot balanced iem cable...

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #2,905 of 3,483
For anyone interested, my rig with the Atlas is the Apogee Groove 30th anniversary (in silver, not that it matters). Phenomenal pairing. Imagine a somewhat leaner Mojo: smooth, liquid highs, thick, powerful mids, and grippy, textured bass...That’s the Groove 30th. Excellent synchronicity with the Atlas.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #2,906 of 3,483
Sadly, custom ADV tips for the Atlas are not for me. I can’t get used to the fit, and they alter the sound of the Atlas depending on how I have them inserted. Oh well, it was worth a shot. I’ve gone back to spiral dots and will have to limit my listening sessions to an hour or so, at which point my ears get sore from the weight.

On a happier note, I just picked up the RME ADI-2 Dac, and the Atlas blew me away on that device! Not sure if the Fiio M11 DAP is holding the Atlas back, but I’m glad I can finally hear the full potential of these babies. Now I just need to find an 8 foot balanced iem cable...
Tried them with the cable over the ears and the tips? Failing that maybe the equinox might suit you? One other option is that Ken Ball mentioned they were going to be doing custom tips for the atlas. Maybe better suited than the adv ones?

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #2,907 of 3,483
Tried them with the cable over the ears and the tips? Failing that maybe the equinox might suit you? One other option is that Ken Ball mentioned they were going to be doing custom tips for the atlas. Maybe better suited than the adv ones?

I actually contacted campfire kind of recently about custom tips since I know they were making them for a little while as a beta program. But they told me they are not making them anymore and just referred me back to advanced sound anyways.

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #2,908 of 3,483

I'm done with custom tips, they cause more issues than they resolve (at least for me). I can live with normal tips, just not for long listening sessions. Over-the-ear didn't help anything either, but it's all good. I'm fortunate to have many great options for listening, this gives me an excuse to keep the other cans in the rotation.

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #2,909 of 3,483
I'm done with custom tips, they cause more issues than they resolve (at least for me). I can live with normal tips, just not for long listening sessions. Over-the-ear didn't help anything either, but it's all good. I'm fortunate to have many great options for listening, this gives me an excuse to keep the other cans in the rotation.

Or, if it is a comfort issue, just use a clip.
I’ve been using one since I got the Atlas, and weight has never been a factor. They’re easily very comfortable iems.

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #2,910 of 3,483

If the sound is different between the left and the right channel for you, maybe it would be a good idea to ask for a warranty, they should have bass in both ears in a similar amount :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back