NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Mar 4, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #2,642 of 3,483
You're absolutely correct. It's easy to fall down these rabbit holes. I'm kinda leaning towards the Atlas at the moment since I love the sound of the Cascades and I love my Comets. Seems like the best of both worlds. How often do you use your comets since you purchased the Atlas?

Amen to the the rabbitholes comment - I love my miss, but good live music has bass you can FEEL, so there's something missing for me if my headphones/earphones can't recreate that sense of physicality and power. The two audio brands that I have found in this hobby that get closest to recreating that sort of vibe were the old Aurisonics ASG series and the Campfire stuff.

Regarding your Q about the Atlas/Solaris, have owned all four models you mention (and still have the Cascade, Atlas and Solaris). Atlas is very along the same sort of sonic lines as the Cascade, so will be more of an in ear flavour of that sound rather than anything drastically different. The Solaris is much more like the Comet in terms of tonality (performance/SQ is another matter). The Solaris and Atlas both sound absolutely huge in terms of the sonic image they put in your ears, but the Solaris are a much airier and more immersive feeling IEM, whereas the Atlas have that big bass and in your face engagement factor.

The Solaris still have a good "live" feel to the sound due to the excellent subwoofer style feel to the low bass - not huge quantity, but great physicality.

Really depends whether you want a more portable Cascade style experience or you are looking for a different sort of tuning that lets you just drift away in the music. For my preference, the Solaris has displaced the EE Zeus-XR as my go to IEM when I truly want to sink into some music in my own home, but the Atlas gets a lot more use as a "daily driver" out and about. Hope that helps?

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #2,643 of 3,483
Amen to the the rabbitholes comment - I love my miss, but good live music has bass you can FEEL, so there's something missing for me if my headphones/earphones can't recreate that sense of physicality and power. The two audio brands that I have found in this hobby that get closest to recreating that sort of vibe were the old Aurisonics ASG series and the Campfire stuff.

Regarding your Q about the Atlas/Solaris, have owned all four models you mention (and still have the Cascade, Atlas and Solaris). Atlas is very along the same sort of sonic lines as the Cascade, so will be more of an in ear flavour of that sound rather than anything drastically different. The Solaris is much more like the Comet in terms of tonality (performance/SQ is another matter). The Solaris and Atlas both sound absolutely huge in terms of the sonic image they put in your ears, but the Solaris are a much airier and more immersive feeling IEM, whereas the Atlas have that big bass and in your face engagement factor.

The Solaris still have a good "live" feel to the sound due to the excellent subwoofer style feel to the low bass - not huge quantity, but great physicality.

Really depends whether you want a more portable Cascade style experience or you are looking for a different sort of tuning that lets you just drift away in the music. For my preference, the Solaris has displaced the EE Zeus-XR as my go to IEM when I truly want to sink into some music in my own home, but the Atlas gets a lot more use as a "daily driver" out and about. Hope that helps?

The more I read about the Solaris the more it seems to have replaced the Andromeda as the IEM I need to complement the Atlas. One day I'll be able to afford it lol

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #2,644 of 3,483

This makes me feel like the Solaris would be a better compliment to the Cascades. That's where I was leaning to begin with but the Atlas's sound like they're also full of that bassy goodness like the Cascades... but it's entirely possible to have too much of a good thing and it's nice to change things up once in a while.

Mar 5, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #2,645 of 3,483
Joined the Comet club this morning. I have a little NW17 Sony DAP that I am going to leave at my beach home with the Comet for nice long beach walks. My Vegas can stay home with my Sony 300 Walkman DAP. Ordered a PlusSound T-Metal 4.4 cord for Vegas as well as a Super Litz from Campfire. Would like to buy a Solaris or Andromeda in the future. Campfire makes Damn good IEMs!

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #2,646 of 3,483
Joined the Comet club this morning. I have a little NW17 Sony DAP that I am going to leave at my beach home with the Comet for nice long beach walks. My Vegas can stay home with my Sony 300 Walkman DAP. Ordered a PlusSound T-Metal 4.4 cord for Vegas as well as a Super Litz from Campfire. Would like to buy a Solaris or Andromeda in the future. Campfire makes Damn good IEMs!
And a damn good headphone, too.

Mar 8, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #2,647 of 3,483
How long is the break-in period for Comets?

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #2,648 of 3,483
How long is the break-in period for Comets?

They're single BAs so I don't think there is one, and I didn't notice any changes in the first 60 or so hours of using my Comets (as opposed to my Atlas where there was definitely a change around the 50-60 hour mark).

Mar 8, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #2,649 of 3,483
Loving these stainless steel titans 2019-03-08-10-48-33.jpg

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #2,650 of 3,483
Breaking in my Comets on my NW 17 Sony. Please note nice Litz cable transferred from Vegas. Also breakiing in my new NW 300 Sony DAP and Campfire's Super Lintz cable with Vegas. Going to put 150 hours on them 24/7 as best I can. Little NW 17 lasts 3 times as long as 300.
fullsizeoutput_12e9.jpeg

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #2,652 of 3,483
Mar 9, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #2,653 of 3,483
Mar 9, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #2,654 of 3,483
Mar 9, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #2,655 of 3,483
Note the wrong plugs on the image!

Oh snap I didn't realize there was more than one type of MMCX connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back