NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Jan 13, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #2,433 of 3,483
Jan 13, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #2,434 of 3,483
Hi all. whats better for the solars and atlis. single end 3.5. or bal. out 2.5..4.4mm ?
Completely depends on your source. There is no inherent benefit to balanced other than it generally allows more power to go to the iems from a given source. But there are plenty of single ended sources that supply more juice than certain balanced sources (think mojos and hugos).

The atlas definitely benefits from a little more juice and is less prone to hiss than the Solaris, although both scale very well with higher end sources. I’ve been listening to both balanced (2.5mm) out of my sp1000m recently; however they both sound fantastic single ended out of the hugo2 as well. Prior to getting the SP1000m, I was listening to them exclusively single ended.

Jan 14, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #2,435 of 3,483
Completely depends on your source. There is no inherent benefit to balanced other than it generally allows more power to go to the iems from a given source. But there are plenty of single ended sources that supply more juice than certain balanced sources (think mojos and hugos).

The atlas definitely benefits from a little more juice and is less prone to hiss than the Solaris, although both scale very well with higher end sources. I’ve been listening to both balanced (2.5mm) out of my sp1000m recently; however they both sound fantastic single ended out of the hugo2 as well. Prior to getting the SP1000m, I was listening to them exclusively single ended.
Congrats,you have beautiful gear!Do you find a noticeable difference going 2.5mm with SP1000M and Atlas?I'm debating on whether i should buy a balanced cable but i don't know if it will be worth it as there are contradictory opinions over at the SP1000 thread on whether balanced is an improvement or not.

Jan 14, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #2,436 of 3,483

I am finding that the Solaris pairs better. with the qp1r.se.. And the Atlis sounds better on the wm1a, bal.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #2,437 of 3,483
Congrats,you have beautiful gear!Do you find a noticeable difference going 2.5mm with SP1000M and Atlas?I'm debating on whether i should buy a balanced cable but i don't know if it will be worth it as there are contradictory opinions over at the SP1000 thread on whether balanced is an improvement or not.
I do prefer balanced with the atlas on SP1000M. I wouldn’t say it’s a massive difference, but balanced does seem to tighten things up a little bit. A little more clarity, definition, and tightness, which I like with the atlas. I am not using an expensive cable either...I’m using a pure silver cable I got on AliExpress on one of their site wide sales for about $60. Great quality actually.

Jan 19, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #2,438 of 3,483
I had the chance to take a pic of Campfire ATLAS and FiiO BTR1K during my FiiO Bluetooth receivers review :)

BTR1K can drive Atlas pretty nicely, if you're looking for a really portable BT Receiver.

FiiO-BTR1K-Bluetooth-Module-AMP-DAC-IEMs-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-22.jpg

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #2,439 of 3,483

I think with atlas you will get a nice improvement from the extra power out of 2.5 balanced considering its about double power. Dynamics tend to work well with the extra power. The stock cable works very well. Compared to effect audio thor II i prefered the stock. Keeps the sound signature that it was meant to have!

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #2,440 of 3,483
I think balanced unbalanced argument is just the difference between power. I think sp1000 unbalanced is about 2.1 vrms whereas balanced is 4.1. So that extra power will increase dynamics on headphone. Same thing with wm1a.

New lotto touch has 500 power on single ended and balanced and from one review I read said there was no difference between balanced vs not. Some daps also have dual dac and you only benefit from dual dac using balanced vs single ended you use one. I think thats on the shanling. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #2,442 of 3,483
Hi to all of you,

Well, after searching the perfect tip for my Comets, I finally found out what my problem was.
I was so impressed with the sound, that it not even occurred to me, the nozzle size is far to big for my ear canals.
I bought these in ears because of the good reviews, and I was so impressed that I didn't bother to verify the nozzle size.
My maximum size for comfort is 4mm, and the Comets nozzles are 6mm.

I also found out that the nozzle size isn't mentioned on any product specifications on the Campfire Audio website, and they are not the only ones in this case.

So, Ken Ball, if yourself or colleagues read this, please add the nozzle size of your in ear products in the specifications.
Not everybody has a shop in the neighborhood to go try them out, and have to rely on the specifications and comments.
I will search for another pair of Campfire in ears, hoping you added the nozzle sizes in the specifications of your products.

For my part, as I cannot return them anymore, I am going to offer them as gift, to one of my relatives, hoping he or here will appreciate them as much as myself.

Thank you.

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #2,443 of 3,483
Hi to all of you,

Well, after searching the perfect tip for my Comets, I finally found out what my problem was.
I was so impressed with the sound, that it not even occurred to me, the nozzle size is far to big for my ear canals.
I bought these in ears because of the good reviews, and I was so impressed that I didn't bother to verify the nozzle size.
My maximum size for comfort is 4mm, and the Comets nozzles are 6mm.

I also found out that the nozzle size isn't mentioned on any product specifications on the Campfire Audio website, and they are not the only ones in this case.

So, Ken Ball, if yourself or colleagues read this, please add the nozzle size of your in ear products in the specifications.
Not everybody has a shop in the neighborhood to go try them out, and have to rely on the specifications and comments.
I will search for another pair of Campfire in ears, hoping you added the nozzle sizes in the specifications of your products.

For my part, as I cannot return them anymore, I am going to offer them as gift, to one of my relatives, hoping he or here will appreciate them as much as myself.

Thank you.

Or you could get yourself some custom tips from the likes of Custom Art. They make them stick a little further out but the custom tips should fit you like a glove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back