NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Jun 3, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #1,201 of 3,483
I concur, the more you listen the more balance occurs. The treble extends well and the mids are clear and I have never heard the bass interfere. The tuning of the Atlas is addictive. As I stated a couple of times in this thread previously, that his opinion sounds like a short listen opinion. The bass is incredibly strong on first listen I actually questioned whether I would be able to deal with it, but man oh man with some time the Atlas is clearly a force to be reckoned with.
Thank you for providing your experiences about my concerns. I agree that the treble, mids and bass are all well placed. However, when they come together all at once I feel mids start to be recessed(At least compared to Andro). May I understand "The more you listen the more balance occurs." as my ears get adapt to the bass or the bass getting controlled in burning?

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #1,202 of 3,483
Interesting you heard the bass covering the vocals. The bass is big on the Atlas (with a capital B), but one of its strengths is that it DOESN'T overpower the mids, to my ears. I find them to coexist pretty well without one drowning out the other.
Emm....This happens to me especially when playing any electronic remix music like (Honest(Gil Glaze Remix)).

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #1,203 of 3,483
Interesting you heard the bass covering the vocals. The bass is big on the Atlas (with a capital B), but one of its strengths is that it DOESN'T overpower the mids, to my ears. I find them to coexist pretty well without one drowning out the other.
Or I simply should not compare dynamic driver with BA in terms of seperation? Since each BA does its own job at different frequency ranges.

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #1,204 of 3,483
For me, the bass is about right. Doesn’t cover the mid or highs at all. While it’s true there seems to be “to much” it did not seem so after the breakin. It’s that I was deprived of bass before.
I went to a Stones Concert in Boston years ago... bass was the driving force behind everything. Thunderous relentless and lots of it. No earphone could ever deliver that amount of low energy to ones ear. That said... the Atlas come damn close.
Paul Simon’s Kodachrome delivers to the Atlas what the Mastering had in mind...
and yet a Chopin piano is very happy.

To me, the Atlas is a keeper.
Good Work Campfire crew!
Phillip
Santa Fe

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #1,205 of 3,483
Thank you for providing your experiences about my concerns. I agree that the treble, mids and bass are all well placed. However, when they come together all at once I feel mids start to be recessed(At least compared to Andro). May I understand "The more you listen the more balance occurs." as my ears get adapt to the bass or the bass getting controlled in burning?
Mine is now well seasoned. It is a DD so it appears to improve with time. Many don't believe in burn-in but the Atlas has truly improved to my ears, it didn't take long. The mids are not at the edge of the stage but to me they are only a couple of rows back, not really recessed.

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #1,206 of 3,483
For me, the bass is about right. Doesn’t cover the mid or highs at all. While it’s true there seems to be “to much” it did not seem so after the breakin. It’s that I was deprived of bass before.
I went to a Stones Concert in Boston years ago... bass was the driving force behind everything. Thunderous relentless and lots of it. No earphone could ever deliver that amount of low energy to ones ear. That said... the Atlas come damn close.
Paul Simon’s Kodachrome delivers to the Atlas what the Mastering had in mind...
and yet a Chopin piano is very happy.

To me, the Atlas is a keeper.
Good Work Campfire crew!
Phillip
Santa Fe
I hear ya....Mr Santa Fe

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #1,207 of 3,483

I agree with the others here that the Atlas feels very well balanced. I personally do not hear the mids as being recessed. And I definitely do not hear the bass as overtaking the other frequencies, even though there is a lot of bass. I also have not burned mine in fully and just listen as I go, but I definitely remember with the vega that the bass seemed super huge at first, and then either because of actual burn in or brain burn in, I became much more accustomed to it, to the point that other IEMs just felt kind of flat and lacking in bass by comparison.

That said, even KB came in here and say they are not trying to make a tuning for everyone. It seems that this is a clear decision to tune them this way, and if it just isnt your cup of tea, then thats totally fine.

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,208 of 3,483
I concur, the more you listen the more balance occurs. The treble extends well and the mids are clear and I have never heard the bass interfere. The tuning of the Atlas is addictive. As I stated a couple of times in this thread previously, that his opinion sounds like a short listen opinion. The bass is incredibly strong on first listen I actually questioned whether I would be able to deal with it, but man oh man with some time the Atlas is clearly a force to be reckoned with.

Yes, this has been my experience as well. Whether it be actual burn in of the driver/cable, brain burn in, or some combination of the two, the more I have listened to the atlas the more I have grown to appreciate its sound signature. I have been going back and forth between the atlas and my EE phantom and while the atlas clearly has emphasized bass, there is still a lot of detail and presence to the mids and highs without the bass bleeding in to overpower/interfere with them. Compared to the phantom, the mids have a little less detail and texture, and they are less forward, but in general, I would consider the atlas mids to be well detailed with very good texture, and would not call them recessed. Listening to the atlas, there are some time it feels like you have to aurally peer through (or perhaps peer over) the bass to focus in on the mids and, to a lesser extent, the highs, since the bass is what hits you first; however, once you do focus in on them, you find that there is a lot of detail and texture there that is not crowded out interferes with. The bass serves to ground the sound and round out the bottom of the notes.

I also agree that the bass seems to have have settled and tightened and the mids and highs become more in focus as I have used the atlas (again be it real burn in, me getting used to the sound, or some combination of both).

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #1,209 of 3,483
Yes, this has been my experience as well. Whether it be actual burn in of the driver/cable, brain burn in, or some combination of the two, the more I have listened to the atlas the more I have grown to appreciate its sound signature. I have been going back and forth between the atlas and my EE phantom and while the atlas clearly has emphasized bass, there is still a lot of detail and presence to the mids and highs without the bass bleeding in to overpower/interfere with them. Compared to the phantom, the mids have a little less detail and texture, and they are less forward, but in general, I would consider the atlas mids to be well detailed with very good texture, and would not call them recessed. Listening to the atlas, there are some time it feels like you have to aurally peer through (or perhaps peer over) the bass to focus in on the mids and, to a lesser extent, the highs, since the bass is what hits you first; however, once you do focus in on them, you find that there is a lot of detail and texture there that is not crowded out interferes with. The bass serves to ground the sound and round out the bottom of the notes.

I also agree that the bass seems to have have settled and tightened and the mids and highs become more in focus as I have used the atlas (again be it real burn in, me getting used to the sound, or some combination of both).
Two days ago my FIBAE ME arrived and yesterday my Legend X both are said to be bassy. I cannot give a solid opinion yet of either but neither had as much bass as Atlas out of the box.

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #1,210 of 3,483
How are you guys liking the atlas with custom cables? I really like the stock cable the way it fits without the memory wire. But I really dont like the atlas with cables that have memory wire. Tried to fit over the ear and down. With my two cables the fit is pretty bad and awkward. Im using ref8 and thor ii

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #1,211 of 3,483
Two days ago my FIBAE ME arrived and yesterday my Legend X both are said to be bassy. I cannot give a solid opinion yet of either but neither had as much bass as Atlas out of the box.
Yes, I’m looking forward to your comparisons between the Legend X and the Atlas.!

Jun 3, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #1,212 of 3,483
How are you guys liking the atlas with custom cables? I really like the stock cable the way it fits without the memory wire. But I really dont like the atlas with cables that have memory wire. Tried to fit over the ear and down. With my two cables the fit is pretty bad and awkward. Im using ref8 and thor ii

Hmm this rather obvious fact (I missed) puts a dampner on my mutli cable comparisons.

Phew. Thanks. Saved me a lot of work.

Jun 3, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #1,213 of 3,483
I demoed Atlas and Comet at AXPONA. Compared to my Andro with 8-wires silver and gold cable, Atlas did a better job in terms of resolution, vertical soundstage, texture, and bass. Even I loved the sound signature of Andro a lot, Atlas can be considered as a direct upgrade from Andro at least to me. However, the bass is way too much and out of controlled. The bass frequently interferes with the midrange and covers the vocal a lot which is the only concern I have before purchasing Atlas. Will the bass be more controlled during the burning process? Will a good DAP like AK SP1000 or SE100 help with controlling the bass?
Your ears hear what they hear.

What tips did you use? The stock CA show foam tips? (Could be a possibility) Or your own tips?

(I remember my first impressions of the Vega, Dorado and Lyra ii were at a show with the foam tips, and later when I reviewer them got different results with silicone).

Did you try a cable swap with your Andro cable?

Which dap/player were you using?

——————————-

To others what tips have you settled on? Stock foam or silicone or after market?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back