NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Mar 19, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #3,151 of 3,483
I keep rediscovering and coming back to my Atlas. For me the game changer was installing Spiral Dot++ tips. The big openings give a huge sound stage and allow easy over the ear insertion without having to fidget with the angle of insertion. (The Atlas comes with big opening tips of its own, but the Spiral Dot++ are at a different level for fit and sound.)

I am driving the Atlas balanced from the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. This is a wonderful combination.

Mar 19, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #3,152 of 3,483
I keep rediscovering and coming back to my Atlas. For me the game changer was installing Spiral Dot++ tips. The big openings give a huge sound stage and allow easy over the ear insertion without having to fidget with the angle of insertion. (The Atlas comes with big opening tips of its own, but the Spiral Dot++ are at a different level for fit and sound.)

I am driving the Atlas balanced from the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. This is a wonderful combination.
how is the treble for you? When using those tips i always find myself wishing the treble was more subdued. I love the fit but the sound not so much.

Mar 19, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #3,153 of 3,483
how is the treble for you? When using those tips i always find myself wishing the treble was more subdued. I love the fit but the sound not so much.
I just checked my Atlas and I have the original Spiral Dots installed. Those have been my go to on Atlas. I will try the ++

Mar 19, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #3,156 of 3,483
Is there an atlas / IER-Z1R comparison?
Demoed the z1r a few months back (im gonna go off from my memory) and atlas is like a little brogther to z1r.

Mar 19, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #3,157 of 3,483
I found the included large bore tips to be heavy on the treble, but not so with the Spiral Dot++. They are quite different.
Yes, same thoughts i didnt like the stock tips and the FAD. I, however did settle with AET07.

Mar 19, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #3,158 of 3,483
Demoed the z1r a few months back (im gonna go off from my memory) and atlas is like a little brogther to z1r.
Alrighty, I'll hang on to the ierz1r's then

Mar 19, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #3,159 of 3,483
Is there an atlas / IER-Z1R comparison?
I own both (though I admittedly havent listened to either in a bit).

The ier-z1r is in my opinion better all around, but the atlas does excel at things the z1r does not. The z1r is a more "mature" type of sound. Its more balanced, and definitely closer to that audiophile target I think. I think it has better detail retrieval and is likely an easier listen with superior soundstage and imaging. The best way to describe the atlas is... BIG. The sound it puts out is just big. With a larger bass emphasis and then upper mid and treble emphasis to balance it out.

I may try and get some listening time in with both today if you are interested in more, but to me, the z1r is a more pleasant listen overall, while the atlas is the kind of iem you sort of have to be in the mood for.

Mar 19, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #3,160 of 3,483
I own both (though I admittedly havent listened to either in a bit).

The ier-z1r is in my opinion better all around, but the atlas does excel at things the z1r does not. The z1r is a more "mature" type of sound. Its more balanced, and definitely closer to that audiophile target I think. I think it has better detail retrieval and is likely an easier listen with superior soundstage and imaging. The best way to describe the atlas is... BIG. The sound it puts out is just big. With a larger bass emphasis and then upper mid and treble emphasis to balance it out.

I may try and get some listening time in with both today if you are interested in more, but to me, the z1r is a more pleasant listen overall, while the atlas is the kind of iem you sort of have to be in the mood for.
Thanks for your impression, something to think about :)

Mar 19, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #3,161 of 3,483
Yes, same thoughts i didnt like the stock tips and the FAD. I, however did settle with AET07.

Interesting that you mention FAD. I am confused but appreciative. :)

My #1 IEM is still the FAD Lab 1. It is a rare, limited edition 3D-printed laser-fused titanium classic. I choose not to take it travelling internationally as it is near impossible to replace. The balanced Atlas is IEM #2. What they have in common is no crossovers and some good mystical ambiance that follows. One driver (or parallel drivers in the case of Lab 1) to rule them all.

Imaging is everything. :)

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #3,162 of 3,483

This was my experience exactly (see my post from Feb 27). Once I got the Spiral Dot++s I stopped switching back and forth between other IEMs I have, searching for the best sound and fit, and I've been using the Atlases exclusively ever since.

Mar 25, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #3,163 of 3,483
I also found sony hybrid tips (yellow) to be a very good fit for the atlases. Not as good as aet07 soundwise but definitely way more comfortable (aet07 overtime, produces in ear pressure).

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #3,164 of 3,483
My latest PMEQ setting for the Atlas
Type: BPF – Freq: 60hz – Gain: +0.5 db – Q: 1.0
Type: BPF – Freq: 180hz – Gain: -1.8 db – Q: 0.6
Those are the two lowest bands. Everything above that stays flat.

With my LPGT, balanced cable, over the ears, Spiral Dot++ tips, and the above subtle bass shift, the Atlas is a spectacular headphone. It happens to have the form factor of an IEM which is handy.

I am listening to classics like Let It Be Naked, Van M's Into the Mystic, and taking in entire albums. Covid-19 gives us time, right? But also electronic music like Yazoo, and my dominant prog rock collection... Gentle Giant FTW. Also friggin' Police and Cars. And Crosby Stills Nash and Young (???). I never listen to this. But I have time and everything is sounding great.

The Atlas requires a bit of tweaking on tips and EQ to my taste. But it has the most solid foundation. This is a huge headphone in a tiny package with remarkable clarity and superb sound stage imaging.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #3,165 of 3,483
My latest PMEQ setting for the Atlas
Type: BPF – Freq: 60hz – Gain: +0.4 db – Q: 1.0
Type: BPF – Freq: 180hz – Gain: -1.8 db – Q: 1.0
Those are the two lowest bands. Everything above that stays flat.

With my LPGT, balanced cable, over the ears, Spiral Dot++ tips, and the above subtle bass shift, the Atlas is a spectacular headphone. It happens to have the form factor of an IEM which is handy.

I am listening to classics like Let It Be Naked, Van M's Into the Mystic, and taking in entire albums. Covid-19 gives us time, right? But also electronic music like Yazoo, and my dominant prog rock collection... Gentle Giant FTW. Also friggin' Police and Cars. And Crosby Stills Nash and Young (???). I never listen to this. But I have time and everything is sounding great.

The Atlas requires a bit of tweaking on tips and EQ to my taste. But it has the most solid foundation. This is a huge headphone in a tiny package with remarkable clarity and superb sound stage imaging.
I definitely agree, atlas needs time investment to sound good, you have to be quite particulate with the nuances it makes when rolling cables/tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back