NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Aug 26, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #1,892 of 3,483
Enjoying my Atlas! Comparing to my previous best headphones B&W P7, the closed back P7 felt muffled, whereas Atlas felt more open and 'real', maybe that's what folks talking about when they talking sound stage? The Atlas is much louder as well, had to use lower volume on my DAP.

Interesting thing is while doing thing listening to music, I will be attracted by the music and paused whatever else I am doing to listen more attentively.

Now I am wondering should I get a balanced cable for the IEM. First thing though, I am not quite sure how to remove the stock cable. Don't want to brute force it, these are not cheap man :D.

I found this video really helpful with attaching and detaching MMCX cables.

Aug 26, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,893 of 3,483
So, I just tried these tips today. So far the comfort is unmatched!
In terms of change in sound signature I would say that it adds warmth while at the same time making everything even more energized! There is added body to the bass (I think some might say that there could be a bleed into the mid-range, but this might me being crazy). You can really feel a rumble with these tips!

+1 For the complys. Just got my own pair in today, and as far as comfort goes, they're easily the best I've tried yet.

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #1,895 of 3,483
Decent balanced cable for Comets without breaking the bank please? Tried the brainwavz one from amazon uk and it's nasty (it was only £15). Don't want to go nuts with the pricing though. It's mainly the mic and lack of chin slider that I don't like about the original!

I am looking as well. Saw this $45 cable recommended in this thread in some earlier page:

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...-balaned-cable-with-mmcx-connector-2-5mm-jack

Planning to give it a try before going for the like of campfire reference 8 etc.

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #1,896 of 3,483
The campfire mmcx connectors are really nice and thus really firm. I usually get my fingernails between the iem and the connector and try to apply even, kinda-pinching force to pull it up out of the IEM. Otherwise if you can get a good grip on the connector itself go ahead and pull hard (just NEVER the actual cable).
As for balanced, I find it helps channel separation a good bit and adds a little to soundstage for most of my headphones, but YMMV. Does your DAP have a balanced output?

Going to try a Brainwavz candy cane cable that cost $45 to see how the balanced output on my DAP sound.

According to my DAP (A&K SE100) spec, the main differences seems to be:
output level: balanced 4.1 Vrms, unbalanced 2 Vrms.
signal to noise ratio: balanced 123 db @1KHZ, unbalanced 122 db @1KHZ
THD-N: balanced 0.0006% @1KHZ, unbalanced 0.0007% @1KHZ

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #1,897 of 3,483
Sounds good, thanks! Just figured out this type of cable is called MMCX, not litz as I originally assumed, also ran across that YouTube video yesterday.

MMCX is a type of connector; Litz is a type of braiding.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #1,898 of 3,483
Aug 27, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,900 of 3,483
Going to try a Brainwavz candy cane cable that cost $45 to see how the balanced output on my DAP sound.

According to my DAP (A&K SE100) spec, the main differences seems to be:
output level: balanced 4.1 Vrms, unbalanced 2 Vrms.
signal to noise ratio: balanced 123 db @1KHZ, unbalanced 122 db @1KHZ
THD-N: balanced 0.0006% @1KHZ, unbalanced 0.0007% @1KHZ

I'm running the Atlas balanced from the SE 100 and it's amazing. The unbalanced out is darn good, too. But the SE 100 really shines when outputting audio to a balanced cable.

Aug 27, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #1,901 of 3,483
Good information. I was thinking Litz refer to the whole cable, then thought MMCX is it. But looks like there is quite some more aspects to be considered when choosing/ordering a cable, like the MMCX connector, single end or balanced, etc, etc.

The cable that comes with your Atlas is a really good cable but I found running a balanced cable further improves the sound.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #1,902 of 3,483
I found this short video on how to detach and attach MMCX cables very helpful.

The best method I've learned through a lot of strenuous trial and error is actually to pull the cable head with your weaker hand (in my case left) and pull the earpiece with the stronger hand (in my case right). Insert your finger nail of your thumb and index between the MMCX if you can and pull straight.

I was doing it before in reverse (cable with stronger hand and earpiece with weaker hand) and had terrible results haha. Never enough strength.

Aug 27, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #1,904 of 3,483
Great to hear! Do you have recommendation for the brand of balanced cable?
So I actually ordered the same cable that comes with Atlas, except terminated in 2.5 mm balanced. It's available on ALO Audio's website as the Silver Litz, and you select your connector preference before adding it to your cart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back