New Cables for my AKG 271 MkII
Nov 30, 2008 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ArmednInsane

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I am a new member here and I just registered a few mins ago, tho I have lurked for about a year on and off.

I currently own an AKG K271 MkII and thinking of changing the cable. I have seen Zu Mobius, Equinox, Headphile and Moon Audio mentioned several times and have went to their websites. Aside from price differences, is there gonna be any difference among them (as in do they have their own sound sig?) if there is, can anybody tells me what is the difference? and which one is recommended?

P.S Feel free to add other brands that comes to your mind, as I am new to this, and DID NOT even think that cable would make a difference
tongue.gif

Thank you in advance

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 8
The sound of the cables is mainly dependent on what they're made of. Zu is made of silver, Cardas is made of copper, it varies with headphile I think depending which variant you choose. I personally like the Apuresound cables because they're silver plated copper, kinda giving you the best of both worlds.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 8
Oh, I see. I read in some other threads, that copper brings out the warmth, bass and mid while silver brings out the high and the treble. Is that right?

therefore silver plated copper should improve all frequency right?

Dec 1, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 8
I emailed Moon-audio and A Pure Sound to ask for their advice regarding the cabling. Still waiting for their response.

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 8
I had compared a while back, my 271S's using 4 cables: stock, a Sweetcome model, the Zu, and the Revelation Audio Lab's (RAL) cable.

I definitely preferred the RAL cable. It did transparency, tone, and soundstage just enough better than the Zu in my system. The Sweetcome is a $30-$40 cable, and was better than stock but clearly outclassed by the Zu and RAL.

RAL should not be bought new. Although I had dealt with and like Brad personally, he has dug himself a deep hole, and is only VERY slowly climbing out. But a used RAL is a great cable IMO.

Alex's APS cable should be a winner, too, though I've never heard it. I am contemplating having him recable my Ultrasone 780's.

FWIW, I did sell my 271S/RAL combo. But a few months ago, I bought a new pair/same combo; missed it enough and saw a nice deal.
regular_smile .gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had compared a while back, my 271S's using 4 cables: stock, a Sweetcome model, the Zu, and the Revelation Audio Lab's (RAL) cable.

I definitely preferred the RAL cable. It did transparency, tone, and soundstage just enough better than the Zu in my system. The Sweetcome is a $30-$40 cable, and was better than stock but clearly outclassed by the Zu and RAL.

RAL should not be bought new. Although I had dealt with and like Brad personally, he has dug himself a deep hole, and is only VERY slowly climbing out. But a used RAL is a great cable IMO.

Alex's APS cable should be a winner, too, though I've never heard it. I am contemplating having him recable my Ultrasone 780's.

FWIW, I did sell my 271S/RAL combo. But a few months ago, I bought a new pair/same combo; missed it enough and saw a nice deal.
regular_smile .gif

Why did you say RAL should not be bought new? is it because of the burn in time? or is it because the current product is not as good as the old one?

I am currently using iPhone with whiplash audio Line out cable and iBasso T4. Do you think the RAL cable will be a good cable for my set up?

btw, can anybody point me to the direction of where used RAL cable is sold? (tried ebay, FS forum and yahoo search engine) :p

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #8 of 8
OMG, finally got a reply from APS and Moon-Audio. THE COST OF CABLE IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

1m for APS is $210 + shipping
1m for Moon-Audio is about the same + shipping...

will I hear a very noticeable difference? because I am not sure I want to get the cable if it is for a subtle difference. I am a waiter who is planning to quit my job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back