New cable for er4s, help choosing wire
Jul 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

technetium

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys

Well I am planning on making a new cable for my beloved er4s, the connector etc will be like Xin recommends:

http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm

The resistors will be small .125w 100ohms placed in the jack, so simple enough.

But the wire... I have only made IC, B22´s etc, and I have always used Jena or Kimber TCSS, but they are to thick.

I need something like 26-29awg and soft, preferably stranded. I could be copper or silver, I dont mind, as long as it is soft :wink:

Do you have any recommendations on the wire and places to buy. Btw I live in the EU.

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 14
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing the silicone clad AS 155-30 from Cooner wire might be good.  It is multi strand, small, and the silicone insulation should make it soft and flexible, and hopefully with minimal microphonics.

More info in this thread:   http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/499071/what-wire-for-making-iem-cables

-john

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 14
technetium, you're planning on using stiff wires for the connectors?

It's quite a popular question, but no-one has any idea where to get original connector pins or even decent replacements for them. (I don't consider makeshift stiff wires as decent, probably can't withstand multiple insertions and removals on the driver side.)

The current ER4 uses pins of different diameter, 1.27mm and 1.02mm.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
I'm using 'Silver Arm Wire' from this site: http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/main.php?cat_id=4&group_id=3&hit_cat= to recable my ER-4P.
The wire are very soft, you'll need very careful when using it.

Great find, I think I will try that wire, even though it is also shielded, but its cheap, so I can try it :)

Yes I will try to make my own connectors, there are a number of ways to do this, I think I will try to make them of some of that "silver clay" which is okay for connectors and should be a stiffer that a copper wire. But I will try some different things,

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 14

I use this connector: http://cgi.ebay.com/ETYMOTIC-ER4-IN-EARPHONE-CABLE-ADAPTOR-B-/290411840568?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439de50438.

A little bit expensive but your cable will looks nice.
I throw the jack part from these connector. And soldering the silver wires directly to these connectors. It's easy to open the connector.

PS: You can ask the seller to change the impendance (SMD resistor) to ER-4P/ S/ B type. Or even without the resistor at all (i use takman resistor on my plug).

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 14
I have seen those connectors and I think they are too bulky, this is why I am making my own :wink: All you need to make your own connectors is some wire and a a few hours of work :D

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 14
I have seen those connectors and I think they are too bulky, this is why I am making my own :wink: All you need to make your own connectors is some wire and a a few hours of work :D

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

While this is true, and gaining the experience is a good reason to DIY, I think I should give a word of caution. I've realised that, while experimenting with different connector pins to find appropriate ones, the connector on the driver side has loosened considerably.

Can't wait to see your finished product though =)

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 14
Yeah those er4s drivers are not meant to fiddled with I have heard, right now I am looking into either making the connectors with the silver clay (though I would need a very hot oven) or have jeweler find me some silver wire, or simply buy some 1,5 mm silver and then dremel the hell out of it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back