New, Burson Swing dual mono 9038 DAC, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Mar 25, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #121 of 216
6Moon-Burson-Swing-Award1.jpg

Hi Guys,

It's been over 8 years, but we are finally back on the 6moon's award board with the Swing receiving their prestigious Realization Award. :beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

It took a lot of hard work and we would not have done it without the incredible support from this Head-fi community. The Swing and the Playmate were built entirely in accordance with the long wish list you have sent to us. So thanks, guys! And keep those requests, suggestions and criticism coming.

Frederic Beudot - 6moons.

"The Aurender A10 (5000USD) streamer vs the Swing (with V6) at 699USD. One should expect differences but in a less revealing context, the Aurender would likely struggle to pull ahead."

"Swing was a stunning performer which in typical Burson tradition shall embarrass far pricier solutions like it embarrassed my SOtM DAC (sDP-1000EX, Battery powered, 3500USD DAC)... the Swing's digital volume control simply was more transparent and dynamic..."

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/burson2/

Last edited:
Burson Audio Stay updated on Burson Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BursonAudio https://twitter.com/bursonaudio http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/
Mar 26, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #124 of 216
I just swapped out a laptop for running Roon Remote to the Swing with a dedicated Intel NUC and I can't believe how the Swing is reacting. The bass is going deeper with a wider soundstage and increased separation of instruments and vocals. This is crazy for such a inexpensive DAC. I am listening using the Fun with Grado GH1.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #125 of 216
Has anyone of you tested Swing + Fun vs. Playmate? Which one is better in general if we are not comparing just amps' power?

Mar 27, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #126 of 216
Has anyone of you tested Swing + Fun vs. Playmate? Which one is better in general if we are not comparing just amps' power?

I have both setups with the Swing similarly configured as the Everest Playmate only single versus dual since the Swing doesn't drive headphones. I have rolled various opamps including the Vivid V6 singles. I would give the edge to the Swing / Fun but I honestly think for the money the Playmate is the clear winner.

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #127 of 216

If thinking in driving sensitive headphones (>110dB/mW SPL) then SWING+FUN might be a better option.

I don't have SWING, but I had A/B tested both PLAYMATE and FUN with my sensitive cans (AKG K550, Beats Solo2, Superlux HD-381F):
- during the day, the background noise couldn't get heard between the tracks with none of the above devices
- during the night (absolute silence inside my bedroom) a tiny little noise appears on the PLAYMATE when using HD-381F sensitive IEMs (when no music was playing or between the tracks)
Volume was setup to FUN to a higher level, about maximum my ears can support with low-dynamic music (compressed tracks); also, volume matching between FUN and PLAYMATE was done via scope measurements, so I'm pretty sure the same output volume was correctly chosen between the two. However, given that PLAYMATE has no analogue potentiometer, there is the same output noise on headphones-out, no matter the volume chosen from the rotary knob.

I am talking here about a barely audible noise that was felt only on the HD-381F IEMs (16 Ohms, 101dB/mw, 121dB/V) and only during in an extremely quiet background, so with regular cans and under normal in-house conditions nobody will hear anything.

For its price, PLAYMATE is unbeatable. For the absolute lowest noise possible and only if you intend to pair it with very sensitive cans, SWING + FUN might be a better option.

Note: My above tests were done with default BASIC opamps installed, but also with default EVEREST opamps.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #128 of 216
Thank you for your opinions. :)

Apr 22, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #132 of 216
Added my review of the SparkOS op-amps vs the V6C and V6v on my blog. Nice to have three great choices for op-amps but I'll admit to finding the SS360x as the most revealing in the Swing.

Apr 22, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #133 of 216
I see you just received the HE6se from the tour. I wold be interested in your thoughts on it with the Swing and Fun as that is what I currently have my tour HE6se paired with. Need to have the Fun at 12:00 to drive them.

Apr 22, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #134 of 216
I tried the Swing DAC out to the Fun and found that I didn't have a lot of range left on the Fun in order to get the He6se going. I tried it with the pre-out to the fun and that helped and I could run both at 50%. I also have the Bang and an HE adapter. So have been playing with that. So far I am liking the bang, paired to the swing pre-out. That combination seems to be best at really driving the He6se and the other big Hifiman's I have gotten to try. Hard to believe the Fun with as much power as it has is not enough to overdrive about any headphone out there.

Apr 22, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #135 of 216
I tried the Swing DAC out to the Fun and found that I didn't have a lot of range left on the Fun in order to get the He6se going. I tried it with the pre-out to the fun and that helped and I could run both at 50%. I also have the Bang and an HE adapter. So have been playing with that. So far I am liking the bang, paired to the swing pre-out. That combination seems to be best at really driving the He6se and the other big Hifiman's I have gotten to try. Hard to believe the Fun with as much power as it has is not enough to overdrive about any headphone out there.
The Fun by can power the majority of headphones out there except the HE6se’s and Susvara’s. With the Burson Bang in the mix and HE-Adapter the pairing fairs much better. This is how I was powering my HE6se’s and they sounded great. I need to get the Swing to complete the stack but Burson has made a really competitive line of products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back