New, Burson Swing dual mono 9038 DAC, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Jan 31, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #91 of 216
@dangab , many thanks for the inside pics!

What I can see inside, but hope you can add additional thoughts:
- Different boost converters (regulators) than used to be inside PLAY: XL6007E1 (from XLSEMI) and TPS725 (from Texas Instruments).
- Power regulators are smaller package, so less EMI/RFI generated.
- Also, the Schottky diodes, after the inductors that comes from the regulators, seems to have a smaller size too.
- Regulators are placed at opposite side as it used to be in PLAY or PLAYMATE, nearby the volume control card, instead of the DAC & transport card, so this will minimise any possible noises due to the EMI/RFI of the boost-converters (the 6 regulators themselves).
- LT1085 linear regulators to power the digital parts (transport and DAC chip).
- several decoupling capacitors around each opamp.
- DAC chip ES9038Q2M (or C2M) seems to be about one inch closer to the black connecter that comes from the upper transport board, in compare with PLAY (shorter PCB traces are better, to minimise any possible noises).
- I was able to count 7 linear power regulators soldered nearby the DAC chip, with several capacitors around, quite impressive!
- Ground plane fills the entire upper layer of the board, again...to minimise any possible EMI/RFI interferences.

Given the newer layout that, at least to my eyes, seem to be improved in regard with background noise and dynamics, can anyone test the SWING with really sensitive IEMs, please? Basically, volume to the minimum and connect the IEMs should be OK for this test, just need to listen for any background noise in quiet room (at night would be better, if possible). Thanks!

Feb 1, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #92 of 216
here ya go, a few photos of internals for those who were interested.

DSCF4306.JPG

DSCF4309.JPG

DSCF4311.JPG

DSCF4312.JPG

DSCF4319.JPG

For the record, this thing rocks! Review coming next week.

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #94 of 216
wow! Just two days of break-in and this little black box is keeping me from doing anything else other than listening music :astonished:.

Pair it with the Fun and a pair of He560s and you have pure audio bliss. The Fun has the power to wake up the He560 and the Swing has detail on a level that is just insane. I've heard much more expensive combos that couldn't come close to that pairing in output and detail. I also think that the sometimes sterile sound of the 9038 is compensated for well without masking any of the detail in doing so. It doesn't sound clinical, it just sounds good.

Feb 2, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #97 of 216
I'd also add that Burson did a very good job of picking the Op-amps in the base model and that most Op-amp rolling unless going to the Burson discrete or something similar is not likely to yield a positive change. I rolled several different brands and types through my Play when I first got it and never found any of the inexpensive ones I thought were any better than stock.

Feb 2, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #98 of 216
Its also worth noting that the 5532 and 5534 that Burson uses in the base model are BJT and that many of the pin-compatible op-amps for those are FET. Circuits designed for Bi-polars usually function best with another bi-polar if you are going to swap. While a FET may work, it may also be more likely to cause oscillation and damage to the circuit as their simply is no easy way to design a circuit that is equally good with all varieties available.

Feb 2, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #99 of 216
Usually FET-opamps designed for audio-use should do pretty well, like MUSES8920 etc. Faster FET-input opamps might oscillate indeed, I've seen that myself with OPA2604 used in I/V and also in LPF of my Essence One DAC.
What's great for FET-input opamps is that, if they work perfectly and without any oscillations, the sound could be better:

"Many audio experts believe that the sound quality of a high performance FET op amp is superior to that of bipolar op amps. A possible reason for this is that bipolar designs generate greater odd-order harmonics than FETs. To the human ear, odd-order harmonics have long been identified as sounding more unpleasant than even-order harmonics. FETs, like vacuum tubes, have a square-law I-V transfer function which is more linear than the exponential transfer function of a bipolar transistor. As a direct result of this square-law characteristic, FETs produce predominantly even-order harmonics". (source: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa604.pdf).

Also, in most audio measurement we'll see that highest harmonics are usually the 2nd and 3rd harmonics. 2nd is less offensive than 3rd, because is much closer to the original sound (fundamental). Of course, if all harmonics are lower with at least 90 dB from the fundamental, it doesn't really matters if they are odd or even, unless we' really picky & freak about these results.

L.E.: FET-input opamps might have a lower DC-voltage on outputs than BJT-input opamps, so sometimes this might be helpful in choosing an output buffer or even a voltage-gain opamp, but it really depends on the design.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #103 of 216
I'm using this evaluation driver for native DSD playback on Swing... and Wow this sounds good!! Incomparably better than the XMOS driver in Burson website.
https://www.xmos.com/developer/support/software/uac2/driver-support

A problem is that this is an evaluation version - and the full licensed version needs to be negotiated by the manufacture/vendor. I hope Burson purchase it and offer to us because its native DSD mode is without a question better than the other XMOS in Burson's website. This is how the DSD should sound alike.

This one from Singxer also works beautifully. https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/Singxer/Singxer_USBAudio_v4.36.0_2017-11-14_DSD512.rar

Feb 2, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #105 of 216
Thanks, but not working for me, DAC not seen. Tested on CV2+ and PLAY under Win10.

That's odd, sees my Play and the Loaner Swing without a hiccup for me (win 10/Dell Precision laptop)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back