1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by raoultrifan, Dec 3, 2018.
First

Back
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Next

Last
  1. Asahi Templar
    No I am using a 2m Elecom USB audio cable. Trying a different cable may be a good idea.

2. Eiffel
    It's still on Burson site - "Playmate (Everest) V6 Promo Sales V6 Vivid Dual X 2, V6 Classic X 2 Yes $749 ($599)"
    I got the mail on May 31.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  3. alota
    Me too but now bought base+ vivid and classic

4. raoultrifan
    A very good promo indeed! After all, it's a clean, neutral and very powerful combo able to drive about any headphone.

alota likes this.
  5. alota
    From first contact i' m very impressed. Sadly in this period i have no time to listen music.

6. Fasterball
    Has anyone heard back from Burson on their issues with the latest firmware and driver. I've been using it for a week now and audibly I don't think there is any difference. The biggest positive I've noticed is that in device manager there is no longer a missing DFU driver. I have ocd about that sort of thing so I'm hoping everyone can partake in my bliss.

7. raoultrifan
    What issues?

8. raoultrifan
    You need to install a DSP plugin to change the sound per your liking. There's nothing to change to PLAYMATE in respect with the output sound: jitter is very good, freq. response likewise, multitone test is about perfect, it has more than enough output power etc. Some details about the new driver could be found here: https://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_audiodriver.shtml.

With older XMOS drivers I still had DFU correctly installed in Device Manager, so it's probably a local software issue on your side.

9. Fasterball
    Some people are having a difficult time getting the firmware to update and/or the new driver to install.

10. Fasterball
    I wasn't using the older driver supplied by Burson. I was using the one that windows installed on its own and with the driver there was always a DFU issue.

11. St4v0
    They contacted me and said -

Thank you for your email and support. At this point, Burson is not yet officially support the Playmate firmware update. We are still working out on some of the technical details.
    Please keep your eye out on Head-Fi forum. If we have any official update we will make sure it is announced on Head-fi for all fellow audiophiles.

very confusing as to why they would release the files this early then.
    Fasterball - in your hardware manager is it definately showing the driver installed as burson? just thought I'd ask.

12. Onik
    my playmates sounds suddenly stop even though I see it on sound menu on windows. but it works again when I turn off and turn on. and I only noticed this issue with my desktop gaming system.

13. Fasterball
    Yes it shows as Burson Audio Xmos Usb

14. raoultrifan
    I don't think this new firmware was released for all PLAYMATEs; my device can't be upgraded, but I'm not worried about it because I don't see any low-lights on this. Feel free to check Thesycon or XMOS websites for details on their new drivers, but I don't see any real reasons to do this upgrade, especially that BURSON has not published anything about this yet.

I personally use Khadas Tone's Thesycon drivers, like I stated in one of my previous posts and after several hours of continuous playing and seeking with this driver (on ASIO) I was unable to make it stop or crash. Actually, I never had an issue with my PLAYMATE, nor hardware and nor software, and I had it tested on 5-6 laptops and 1 desktop with Win10 64-bit and 2 MacBooks Pro with Sierra and High Sierra and one iMac with Mojave.

I consider that PLAYMATE's XMOS transport card is very well designed and the original drivers (as well as the Thesycon from Khadas that I'm also using) are very mature.

@Onik, may I suggest you to change the USB cable and/or the USB port? Just make sure the connection is not lose and there's a perfect electrical contact between the USB plugs. Also, any other USB drivers or devices may cause similar issues, but it's up to you to identify if this is the case or not.

15. Onik
    I tried my mate connected to my laptop USB 3.0 port and left it running the whole night by playing music with tidal and found no issues(sound didn't stop).

Now I am sure it's the back USB 2.0 port not the mate or cable.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
First

Back
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Next

Last