New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Feb 20, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #241 of 602
Yes 2x OPA2227 in buffer :wink: and one DIP8 socket with 2xOPA627. an yeah, when I switch to 6,5x gain there are some instability issues indeed (i'm going to switch them today :) ) - thanks for advice!
I'm using 2,5x low gain at all time. I have to say, I own my o2 for over a year and I can't really recally any background noise issues with any headphones I ever plugged into this unit. It's been always black background, kind of reference to me.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #242 of 602
Why don't you place OPA2227 in voltage-gain and NJM4456 in output buffer, then compare background noise between O2 and PLAYMATE (with LME opamps). Of course, do not connect the RCA cables to your O2 and do not open your music player on your ocmputer while doing this test). I estimate that both O2 and PLAYMATE Basic will have about the same output noise. Of course, switching O2 on a gain of 1X will make it dead silent and perfectly for use with IEMs, so hats off here.

Feb 20, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #243 of 602
Hi Raoul,

Just wanted to thank you for posting the graphs, they really help with the filters.
Only issue I am currently having is when I use the Playmate as a preamp to my main system, am getting some RFI. Have replaced the connecting cable, but made no diff.
One thing I did find was that the HP output high/low setting also works on the RCA out in preamp mode.

Ren

Feb 20, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #244 of 602
Hi Ren, you're very welcome!

What opamps are you using inside PLAYMATE, please?

Yes of course...I will measure soon the max. output voltage for the low-gain as well. However, this is not an analogue gain, it's a built-in DAC gain, sort of 2.25V RMS (low gain) vs. 4.5V RMS (high gain) at DAC's outputs, followed by the 2.25X gain amplifier.

Feb 20, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #246 of 602
It would be interesting to find out all setup, if possible:
- desktop or laptop (if laptop, does the noise vanish if running on batteries?)
- amplifier model?
- is the amplifier having a 2-plug or 3-plug power outlet?

I had my PLAYMATE also connected to my Yamaha A-S701 these days and I had no such issues. Wondering what kind of noise I should look for, please? Is it felt only during the pause of the songs?

Feb 20, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #247 of 602
It would be interesting to find out all setup, if possible:
- desktop or laptop (if laptop, does the noise vanish if running on batteries?)
- amplifier model?
- is the amplifier having a 2-plug or 3-plug power outlet?

I had my PLAYMATE also connected to my Yamaha A-S701 these days and I had no such issues. Wondering what kind of noise I should look for, please? Is it felt only during the pause of the songs?

Raoul,

Am running a Desktop PC.
Am running the RCA outputs of the Playmate to an Adcom 545 power amp
Never had an issue with the STX2.
There is no buzz using the Playmate's headphone out or driving my desktop powered speakers with the RCA out.
The buzz sounds like RFI gets less and more...sometimes stops for a few seconds...is weird.
Is not a ground 50-60hz hum.

Ren

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #248 of 602
Really odd...I had last evening a double test with PLAY and PLAYMATE fit into my A-S701 and 90dB/W CANTON speakers (so quite sensitive), with volume to non-listenable high volume (then paused the music), then put my ears on the tweeters and midrange membranes and I've heard absolutely nothing. Inside the room environment was very quiet, no ambient noises. I've used regular RCA cable (the one that came with my Conductor, as it was already connected into my amplifier) and a regular USB cable (the one that came with the PLAYMATE, as it was connected to my laptop).

So, I am unable to reproduce the noise you have, so not sure how to help here. :frowning2:

I wonder if the noise settles down if you plug the power plug of the PLAYMATE vice-versa in your power outlet?
Also, if you move away PLAYMATE's external power adapter, like at least 1m away from the nearest RCA or USB cable, maybe 1m away from PLAYMATE too, will the noise decrease?
Also, keep the PLAYMATE 1m away from your Adcom amplifier too and give it another test.

In my yesterday's test with speakers power adapter was about 0.5m away from PLAYMATE and from my test laptop, also about 0.5m away from the amplifier. Usually, switching power supplies might generate "RFI" switching noises in the near proximity, so hope that in your case moving the PSU a bit away from everything else will help.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #249 of 602
I have asked Dennis from the Burson Audio, which kind of filter is RESERVED, appearing both in the Playmate‘s and Swing‘s settings, and here the answer I got:
The reverse filter is a phase reverse filter.

Edit: got corrected information that this is not a phase rebrsed filter, but really called reserved in the ESS datasheet.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #251 of 602
Edited my post above with the latest information from Dennis. It is indeed RESERVED filter, whatever it means, according to the attached datasheet.

233C5FFC-6D76-433D-91DA-53E3D12647FD.png

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #252 of 602
Really odd...I had last evening a double test with PLAY and PLAYMATE fit into my A-S701 and 90dB/W CANTON speakers (so quite sensitive), with volume to non-listenable high volume (then paused the music), then put my ears on the tweeters and midrange membranes and I've heard absolutely nothing. Inside the room environment was very quiet, no ambient noises. I've used regular RCA cable (the one that came with my Conductor, as it was already connected into my amplifier) and a regular USB cable (the one that came with the PLAYMATE, as it was connected to my laptop).

Hi Raoul,

Update on my noise issue using as a preamp.
Can't believe this,,,but replaced the I/V NE5532 duals with Burson V5s...Bingo!...no noise at all.

Ren

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #253 of 602
How do you use the micro USB C Port on the front of the Playmate with your phone. I used an ifi USB C OTG connected to a USB B to C cable into the front USB C of the Playmate. I changed the input to USB F. I pulled up USB Audi Pro on my phone and it seemed to recognize it but could not get any output from the Playmate.

I downloaded the Playmate's manual from Burson Audio but it did not discuss how everything needed to be set.

Feb 25, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #255 of 602
How do you use the micro USB C Port on the front of the Playmate with your phone. I used an ifi USB C OTG connected to a USB B to C cable into the front USB C of the Playmate. I changed the input to USB F. I pulled up USB Audi Pro on my phone and it seemed to recognize it but could not get any output from the Playmate.

I downloaded the Playmate's manual from Burson Audio but it did not discuss how everything needed to be set.

E-mail them. The manual is really too simple and small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back