1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by raoultrifan, Dec 3, 2018.
First

Back
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Next

Last
  1. Fasterball
    Hey Blavine I have to say that communication regarding shipping is one of Bursons biggest weaknesses right now. I'm not sure what accounts for this. Their product is amazing though and I think you'll find their desire to work with their customers is top notch.

2. Fasterball
    When I just let windows 10 install it's driver the Playmate works fine and win10 intalls an Xmos driver but device manager I'm told a driver is missing. Is this the same for everyone else?

3. St4v0
    The dfu you mean,dynamic firmware update I think that's for.

4. Fasterball
    Yeah that's exactly what it is - why is it doing that?

5. Renfield1217
    Hi horatiu

Really sounds like you have a bad Playmate....and yes I would send it back after asking for a replacement.
    You have talked about the high temps, and the sound cutoff after a few seconds....sounds like a component that is faulty in the unit.
    contact Burson.

Ren

6. Renfield1217
    H
    Thing is it limits the op amp possiblilties makes the unit basically a two opamp unit.

Ren

7. raoultrifan
    I guess it would be the firmware upload driver, which you definitely not need it, so just ignore it: "The XMOS DFU loader is provided as source as part of the XMOS USB Audio software framework", source: https://www.xmos.com/developer/published/dfu-user-guide?version=&page=3.

8. raoultrifan
    I don't see it this way, Ren. I'll post again the opamps arrangement:

[​IMG]

And a very good single-to-dual DIP8 adapter board with sockets pre-installed: https://www.cimarrontechnology.com/browndog-021001-single-to-dual-op-amp-adapter. Of course, you could find similar adapter on eBay at a fraction of the price, just not sure about the quality (perhaps with DYI this can be done better and cheaper than eBay). Now it might worth doing some measurements prior to purchasing these adapters, because I'm not sure will perfectly fit inside the PLAYMATE.

However, what's really important is that combining the same socket for I/V and LPF makes this the shortest audio path possible, so I only see a highlight here.

9. TheMaestro335
    Hello all just got my Playmate with the vivid op amps. Everything works perfectly. Currently breaking in will report back once I put some mileage on it.

Regards
    Jeff

10. Fasterball
    So I have 2 muses 8920 and 2 v6 vivids - what would be the optimal arrangement going from back of Playmate to front?

11. Eiffel
    PLAYMATE_opamps.png
    You should try yourself and see what combination you like most.
    As long as you put them in pairs - 2x same model in I/V (green) and 2x same model in LPF/Gain (red) - it will be no problem.
    I found the fact that Playmate use 4 dual OP-AMP's a good thing. It's more easy to change them than having duals and singles in the same unit.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Fasterball and raoultrifan like this.
  12. raoultrifan
    2 x MUSES8920 in IV + 2 x SS V6 in LP/Gain.

Fasterball likes this.
  13. TheMaestro335
    Hello all,
    I have been running my Playmate for 20 + hours and I have to say I am very impressed! Just listened to some Chesky Classical (Area 31), through my HD800s and Wow, the sound is Vivid as the op Amps are named. Instruments just float in there individual spaces. Huge airy soundstage. Can’t wait to see what this unit sounds like after more break in.

Regards,
    Jeff

14. Renfield1217
    Hi Raoul,
    I understand your take...but the fact is the I'V needs the same opamps as does the LP and Headphone.. I know I will not be using singles on an adapter to separate the LP from the Headphone.

Ren

15. Renfield1217
    Hi Eiffel,

Agreed on the mixing of singles and duals.

Ren

First

Back
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Next

Last