New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Feb 1, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #166 of 602
It looks as though there's no stopping the shipment, so your advice makes sense, thanks. As for any price adjustment, I was reminded of my pre-order discount by Burson which they believe somehow entitles them to miss dispatch dates. I know what you mean about expecting delays and none of this would have become an issue if they didn't, when I corresponded with them, promise dispatch dates that came and went. But I'm game to listen to the piece and will compare it to the Mytek I purchased after the third delay. Will let you know, objectively, how the two compare.
Hey Blavine I have to say that communication regarding shipping is one of Bursons biggest weaknesses right now. I'm not sure what accounts for this. Their product is amazing though and I think you'll find their desire to work with their customers is top notch.

Feb 1, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #167 of 602
When I just let windows 10 install it's driver the Playmate works fine and win10 intalls an Xmos driver but device manager I'm told a driver is missing. Is this the same for everyone else?

Feb 2, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #170 of 602
No, on High it stops after 2s, on Low after few minutes.

Hi horatiu

Really sounds like you have a bad Playmate....and yes I would send it back after asking for a replacement.
You have talked about the high temps, and the sound cutoff after a few seconds....sounds like a component that is faulty in the unit.
contact Burson.

Ren

Feb 2, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #172 of 602
Feb 2, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #173 of 602
H
Thing is it limits the op amp possiblilties makes the unit basically a two opamp unit.

Ren
I don't see it this way, Ren. I'll post again the opamps arrangement:

10230844.png

And a very good single-to-dual DIP8 adapter board with sockets pre-installed: https://www.cimarrontechnology.com/browndog-021001-single-to-dual-op-amp-adapter. Of course, you could find similar adapter on eBay at a fraction of the price, just not sure about the quality (perhaps with DYI this can be done better and cheaper than eBay). Now it might worth doing some measurements prior to purchasing these adapters, because I'm not sure will perfectly fit inside the PLAYMATE.

However, what's really important is that combining the same socket for I/V and LPF makes this the shortest audio path possible, so I only see a highlight here.

Feb 3, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #175 of 602

10230844.png

And a very good single-to-dual DIP8 adapter board with sockets pre-installed: https://www.cimarrontechnology.com/browndog-021001-single-to-dual-op-amp-adapter. Of course, you could find similar adapter on eBay at a fraction of the price, just not sure about the quality (perhaps with DYI this can be done better and cheaper than eBay). Now it might worth doing some measurements prior to purchasing these adapters, because I'm not sure will perfectly fit inside the PLAYMATE.

However, what's really important is that combining the same socket for I/V and LPF makes this the shortest audio path possible, so I only see a highlight here.

So I have 2 muses 8920 and 2 v6 vivids - what would be the optimal arrangement going from back of Playmate to front?

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #176 of 602
PLAYMATE_opamps.png
You should try yourself and see what combination you like most.
As long as you put them in pairs - 2x same model in I/V (green) and 2x same model in LPF/Gain (red) - it will be no problem.
I found the fact that Playmate use 4 dual OP-AMP's a good thing. It's more easy to change them than having duals and singles in the same unit.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #178 of 602
Hello all,
I have been running my Playmate for 20 + hours and I have to say I am very impressed! Just listened to some Chesky Classical (Area 31), through my HD800s and Wow, the sound is Vivid as the op Amps are named. Instruments just float in there individual spaces. Huge airy soundstage. Can’t wait to see what this unit sounds like after more break in.

Regards,
Jeff

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #179 of 602

Hi Raoul,
I understand your take...but the fact is the I'V needs the same opamps as does the LP and Headphone.. I know I will not be using singles on an adapter to separate the LP from the Headphone.

Ren

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #180 of 602

You should try yourself and see what combination you like most.
As long as you put them in pairs - 2x same model in I/V (green) and 2x same model in LPF/Gain (red) - it will be no problem.
I found the fact that Playmate use 4 dual OP-AMP's a good thing. It's more easy to change them than having duals and singles in the same unit.

Hi Eiffel,

Agreed on the mixing of singles and duals.

Ren

Users who are viewing this thread

Back