New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Jan 31, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #151 of 602
The last thing Burson suggested was to try it on a different computer or with Android, with factory default settings.
I'll do that, hopefully, this evening, and let you know.

Using the Burson drivers I didn't have issues with advertised frequencies. I had JRiver to upsample to 768kHz and I can see that displayed on the Playmate.
Also, JRiver confirms the output is 32bit 768hKz.
Obviously, I've also tried to upsample whatsoever but it still stops playing.

I've also changed the USB port (on the same computer), from 3.0 to regular 2.0. Windows recognised a PnP device, installed (again) some XMOS drivers.
In this configuration it's even worse - the sound stops after 2s.

It starts to look like it needs to go back to Burson, I am afraid.

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #152 of 602
Another update - the fact that the sound stops after 2s it might not be related to the USB port. I moved it back to 3.0 and it stops after 2s.
Then I remembered I reset it to factory defaults, as suggested by Burson. By default, the amplification is set ti High. I set it back to Low (much better for my LCD-XCs) and the sound now stops after a few minutes, like before.

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #155 of 602
Hi, I have PLAYMATE for over a week now and "it really starts to sing" as someone mentioned before, I mean it was very good from the first day but everyday I'm somehow convinced there's a little bit more :)
Probably more like myself adaptation process but I don't doubt that technicaly burning-in has taken its toll on me :D

I listen on my AKG K712 pro - sounds very good from PLAYMATE - on high gain I go for like 30-50 volume level using latest Foobar2000 via ASIO, DSD.
Having 4x V6 Classics inside results in relaxed and tube like sound. The music seems so real, with good depth and touch.

I have no problem with any formats from 44.1 to 196 FLAC as well as DSD files. I'm using PC USB 3.0 port (makes no difference to me if it's 2.0 or 3.0 USB)

Ocasionally I listen from ADAMs T7V which sound amazing too with Burson Playmate.

About IEMs - there is a background noise, using my cheap RHA MA390, setting the gain level to low doesn't change a thing - I admit it's weird :D

When I turn OFF and ON again, PLAYMATE saves all the previous settings, don't have any problems with volume levels etc.

When I plugged the unit in I let them install Windows XMOS drivers (or whatever it was) automatically but then I downloaded from Burson website XMOS drivers for Win10 and I have ASIO now. I run Windows 10.

From my experience with PLAY before (on windows 7) - I had to install different drivers to make this go properly - In fact XMOS drivers for win 8 were the best for me.
So I suggest any of you to eventually try every single driver available on Burson website and check which one works best. Don't forget to uninstall previous one before another :)
Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Dżoneł

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #156 of 602
This has been discussed on the PLAY forum actually, as it's the same driver for all BURSON DACs, so...just get the ASIO4ALL and install it upon the existing Win10 drivers. Also, the Thesycon driver (old, but good) from Khadas Tone board might be good enough for most of us to listen to DSD files with ASIO.

However, both jRiver and Foobar are using "transparent" algorithms that are converting in real-time DSDs into WAVEs so we can listen perfectly (there are several reviews about this on dedicated threads, but you may want to have a look into jRiver forum first).

For best compatibility just use the default OS drivers combined with software decoding of the DSDs. Alternate WASAPI with Kernel Streaming for the best sound, if needed.

Thanks for the info,is their any reason why windows won't allow above 384khz in the options?

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #160 of 602
Pretty sure actually, but someone with an eagle-eye or a 1:1 macro lens and good lights could take more close-up pictures and see how the audio path (PCB traces) are doing their way from the ES9038C2M till the first IV opamps, then after that...till the jack plug.

Hi Raoul,

Got an email back from Burson. The LP and Headphone sockets are indeed split with half being LP and half being HP. This is indicates to me that both opamps must be the same,as is the case of the two I/V sockets.
Per Burson :
"This design arrange is mainly aim to keep the signal path symmetrical and also safe space."

Ren

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #162 of 602
Hi Raoul,

Got an email back from Burson. The LP and Headphone sockets are indeed split with half being LP and half being HP. This is indicates to me that both opamps must be the same,as is the case of the two I/V sockets.
Per Burson :
"This design arrange is mainly aim to keep the signal path symmetrical and also safe space."

Ren
Hi Ren, got a similar email recently too, so I was right about the splitting opamp, which is really interesting.

Till now I never seen or heard about splitting opamps this way, so Burson might be pioneering this with SWING. I've seen instead schematics with splitting opamps between voltage-gain and DC-servo stages, but not between Low-Pass and Voltage-gain.

I guess you could actually use single-to-dual adapters (probably SO8 to DIP8) and choose what kind of opamp you need on top. This way you could choose what sort of single opamp to have in LPF and which sort in the VAS. Now that would be really fun to roll opamps! :)

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #164 of 602
I took the player at home and connected it to my home desktop. I am happy to say that it works perfectly, the sound doesn't stop. Now if only I could find out what is wrong with the work computer (or power).

On a different note, with my LCD-3 I very much prefer the M2Tech Young DSD + Burson Soloist combo that I am currently using. Far more detailed and more energy.

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #165 of 602
It could be a ground loop over the USB cable, a strange current flowing through your ground case of the computer...hard to say. Usually, if all goes fine with laptop powered battery (floating laptop) then it's not DAC, it's the computer (or from a 3rd party device connected to that computer).

However, I'm glad somehow things are sorted out for you. Now I'm curious what the real reason for music stopping would be...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back