New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Oct 21, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #1,246 of 1,276
On my CV2+ the THD+N across entire audible band is pretty close to 100dB with my LCD-2F connected, so the output sound is perfectly transparent, without any frequency modification and a very "low-footprint" harmonic profile.

Modi multibit is not perfectly neutral and it's output sound is enriched in harmonics (check ASR forum measurements for a better understanding).

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #1,247 of 1,276
No doubt u are correct in everything u stated above,but I have to go in the direction of what my ears like the best.I am hoping over time they will agree with you!!!

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #1,249 of 1,276
Yea,unfortunately almost everything I purchase is used without audition.This is a nice unit,can be had for a good price on the used market,just not sure if its my flavor.I will give it a couple weeks.

Jun 20, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #1,250 of 1,276
Hi friends, after a year i'm considering two options for my audeze lcd2-c:

1) Selling them, as i'm always missing on them some clarity and air (although loving their, let's say, meaty, carnal sound)
2) Buying a Burson amp, as many people say they have the best synergy with Audezes.

Then my question is, has it got any sense paying today 500 € for a used Burson Conductor SL 9018? Will it provide me what i'm missing in my Audezes?

Or newer amps will do better?. In other words, is a 1500$ dac/amp form 2013 still better than a 500€ new one?

I haven't found an specific thread on that exact model i'm asking about, so you are my last hope (and please accept my apologies if there is some info i missed in old threads, i've sincerely searched for it...).

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Oct 23, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #1,252 of 1,276
I have had a couple days to play with my V2+ with my LCD-2 pre fazor cans.Im finding the Dac section to be a little to cold and sterile,maybe I’m just not used to this much detail but it’s just not enjoyable to me.Using the amp section with my modi multibit gives me a better listen,smoother and more pleasant on the ears.I will go back and forth over the next week,hoping I can convince myself the v2+ Dac sounds better so I can go with my intended plan of having a simple all in one box,but at this stage it’s not looking that way.
When I used CV2+ with Audeze lcd2f the DAC section was indeed cold and sterile, but especially so when I used burson as a DAC with external amplifier. However, when I used burson as a combo (i.e. playing as DAC and amp) it was quite smooth. If I used external smoother DAC connected to burson it was even smoother. Dac is based on sabre so a bit clinical sonding is no surprise but my impression was it was balanced with the amp section.

Oct 23, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #1,253 of 1,276
Yea,unfortunately almost everything I purchase is used without audition.This is a nice unit,can be had for a good price on the used market,just not sure if its my flavor.I will give it a couple weeks.
same with me:) I am also tube head and like warmer sound. Burson cv2+ is one of the smoothest solid state amps I have heard. It was warmer than Woo Audio amps I have heard.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #1,254 of 1,276
same with me:) I am also tube head and like warmer sound. Burson cv2+ is one of the smoothest solid state amps I have heard. It was warmer than Woo Audio amps I have heard.
I am not that well versed on the older conductor models. I have had a ha-160 for quite awhile . I have a pair of the pre fazor audeze lcd-2s and it is not the most revealing headphone on the upper frequencies. Plus it is very uncomfortable to have on your head for anything more than a cd or two at the most. Like putting your head in a vise. I am a early adopter of the conductor 3 ref (unbalanced) and initially I was happy about its sound but these days I am using my AKG 712 headphones as my primary listening phones. They are for one way more revealing at the top than the Audeze lcd-2. Plus they are much more revealing in the soundstage area than the LCD-2. They do not have as much bottom as the Audeze or are not as warm in the midrange but as a whole the AKG 712 is way more neutral. But I got away from my originally intended point. Getting back to the sound of the Coduuctor 3 ref . I noticed after awhile that there was a electronic signature to the sound of the headphone amplifier section of the conductor 3 ref that after reconfiguring the conductor 3 as dac only and hooking it up to my older burson ha-160 was clearly revealed. After a lot of comparison I determined that the electronic signature of the headphone amp section in the conductor 3 ref headphone section is the result of switching power supply design that burson uses in the new design. I much prefer the sound of their older Ha-160 headphone amp which uses a analogue power supply design. It has a more analog like presentation that the conductor 3 lacks. The conductor 3 has more power but the amplifier in the HA-160 had plenty of power to drive all my phones easily. The only bad thing about the older burson is the gradations of level on the volume control . They could be more steps and smaller gradations in level. Sometimes one step up is too loud when the level is too low in the present setting. You do have to exercise the control to keep the contacts clean on the attenuator. I am curious about the sound of the conductor virtuoso v2 sound which uses a analogue power supply design. I Would not mind hearing it. The conductor 3 ref dac is working wonderfully in that configuration(dac only).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #1,255 of 1,276
Getting back to the sound of the Coduuctor 3 ref . I noticed after awhile that there was a electronic signature to the sound of the headphone amplifier section of the conductor 3 ref that after reconfiguring the conductor 3 as dac only and hooking it up to my older burson ha-160 was clearly revealed.
Interesting this is because power supply. A lot of people says older bursons were more analog.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #1,256 of 1,276
i really can't fault my cv2+ although i continue to eye the cma800i for no good reason. the cv2+ sounds good, looks good, is simple to operate and has been trouble free ime.

Oct 29, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #1,260 of 1,276
I also have a tube headphone amp the Rogue RH-5 which I was very happy about. I had made some big changes in my set up purchasing the PS audio power strip conditioner and the shunyata plug in filter for filtering noise. Then I purchased the Harmonic tech ac 10 Fantasy IEC power cord and used it to feed the PS audio power strip. I was really happy with the results once the Harmonic Tech cord broke in. I was using my rogue Rh-5 single ended with my AKG 712 headphone . When I was using my old Burson Ha-160 I had a different power strip. So out of curiosity I dragged out my Burson HA-160 and plugged it into the PS Audio strip conditioner. Wow the Burson sounded so much better than before. After using my Rogue Rh-5 which is a pretty good headphone amp in its own right I had been pretty happy with the sound. But when I hooked up the Burson to the new strip I was shocked at how much better it sounded. I had not expected it to compete with Rogue but I have to say my expectations were far surpassed. The Burson is giving my new and much more expensive Rogue Rh-5 some serious competition . Not bad for a ten year old design. In fact the burson is way better in the bass department and has better dynamics and has lower noise than the Rogue. Surprising for a 700 dollar amp compared to the rogue which is 2499.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back