New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Mar 21, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #916 of 1,276
You are one of the lucky few then :beyersmile:

Really? I've followed this thread from the beginning and I've never got the impression that this was a widespread issue. Maybe I've just overlooked it since I haven't got the issue myself. What countries and electric voltage does people with the issue live in/have?

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #917 of 1,276
I was using the V2+ as a preamp for all of my audio. The static was terrible at times. I switched to a Schiit Freya and I've had no static problems since. I'm moving on to another preamp just need to find one. If anyone has a recommendation for a balanced tube preamp I would be very grateful.

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #918 of 1,276
@peter123

This is a known caveat about Burson's Conductor series. I saw videos on Youtube about it and read about it on the Internet before I purchased the V2+ and thought it was a limited number of people that were having the issue. When I received my V2+ and had terrible static I was really disappointed. I worked with it for over a year to get it to where it was minimal. When I tried another amp / dac combo and found what I was missing because of the static I sold....

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #919 of 1,276
I was one of the early adopters of the CV2+ I got mine as part as the first batch along with the Timekeeper Virtuoso. Mine had a brief (like 2 second) burst of static after about 2 hours from new and then nothing ever since. I had an issue with hum from the Timekeeper/CV2+ combo - ended up being noisy mains, a ground loop issue (lifted the ground on the CV2+ and no issue since).

I have also had a slight issue with a tiny (virtually inaudible) electrical noise in one ear when using the OPPO PM3 (and no other headphone) - not sure why unless its the specific impedance of these phones - I have used it with HE500 and HE560 with no issues so it can't be Planars causing the issue - wasn't an issue for me as 1. I rarely used these with the CV2+ and 2. It was only noticeable when there was no music playing. It was related to the dac circuit however as this was the only input that did it.

Overall I've been very happy with the CV2+ - It wouldn't be the first device that has had a few issues with grounding/noise and TBH most of the hum/interference issues I have had have been solved by moving cables/changing around socket orders etc.....currently I have a monitor that cannot be plugged in near the amp/dac - causes hum--- other monitors are fine - solved by using an extension cable to give some distance from whatever crap the monitor is throwing into the mains....

Point is all of the issues I have had have either been solved relatively easily or in the case of the PM3 it was such a minor issue I never queried it - these headphones are since sold anyway :)

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #920 of 1,276
Really? I've followed this thread from the beginning and I've never got the impression that this was a widespread issue.

When I have a cable plugged into any of the digital inputs, the RCA picks up severe static at moderate volume. When only RCA is connected, there's much less static but still very distracting at higher volume.

It seems to be an ongoing isolation issue from the previous Conductor models. I expect this to be solved with their upcoming devices and if not, it will very disappointing. Definitely something that takes up enough "weight" when deciding on upgrades...

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #921 of 1,276
When I have a cable plugged into any of the digital inputs, the RCA picks up severe static at moderate volume. When only RCA is connected, there's much less static but still very distracting at higher volume.

It seems to be an ongoing isolation issue from their previous Conductor models. I expect this to be solved with their upcoming devices and if not, it will very disappointing. Definitely something that takes up enough "weight" when deciding on upgrades...

Same exact issue I had. I was using USB mostly. I also had a Burson Timekeeper power amp that made the static even worse. I had to unplug the Timekeeper and USB to get it to stop. I ended up selling both the Timekeeper and V2+. I went to a Woo WA5 and now I'm using a Freya / Firstwatt J2. No static at all from either of these setups.

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #922 of 1,276
Interesting feedback.

I used to have and lived the old soloist and never had an issue.

The v2+ i now have is also great (very versatile set up) and with the elear and lcd2 all is good. It’s just with the hd800.

I’ve tried the usb and the optical input and same issue.

Good thing is I’ve always found alex/burson to be good to deal with so i’m confident i’ll be looked after but i hope that is not by having to return it but rather the issue being sorted.

(As a dac/amp combo it is soo good value with the lcd2)

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #923 of 1,276
Really? I've followed this thread from the beginning and I've never got the impression that this was a widespread issue. Maybe I've just overlooked it since I haven't got the issue myself. What countries and electric voltage does people with the issue live in/have?
likewise. i've seen just a few posts reporting a ground loop related hum and a static noise issue in this thread, and one you tube video that i can think of. that hardly constitutes a "widespread" problem.

i have no such issues with mine so far.

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #924 of 1,276
Yeah. It's a shame people are selling them off. It's a fantastic piece IMO. I've been buying and selling audio equipment for over 21 years and have had a s**t ton of stuff in that time. The build quality and sound make me so happy and content, I have zero desire to look elsewhere.

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #925 of 1,276
folks are always looking to "upgrade" in this hobby. i've used a variety of amps and dacs in the course of auditioning headphones over the years. i'd like to think that my purchase of the cv2+ was an informed one.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #926 of 1,276
Interesting feedback.

I used to have and lived the old soloist and never had an issue.

Why would you have any? Soloist is a pure amp :) I'm sure if I open up the CV2+ and remove DAC board and USB module from inside, the static will be gone. it might even go away for a while if I just take off and reseat the components. But I'm not interested in RCA anymore. My optical connection sounds superior and works like a charm for both digital and analogue operation :L3000:

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #927 of 1,276
Why would you have any? Soloist is a pure amp :) I'm sure if I open up the CV2+ and remove DAC board and USB module from inside, the static will be gone. it might even go away for a while if I just take off and reseat the components. But I'm not interested in RCA anymore. My optical connection sounds superior and works like a charm for both digital and analogue operation :L3000:
Ahhh. So the dac is where the noise must be coming from?

I originally thought it could be from anywhere

When i did go “dac out” from the v2+ to my tube amp there was no issue

Burson are going to look at it for me - so we’ll see if they can find the issue

Cheers

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #929 of 1,276
Ahhh. So the dac is where the noise must be coming from?

I originally thought it could be from anywhere

When i did go “dac out” from the v2+ to my tube amp there was no issue

Burson are going to look at it for me - so we’ll see if they can find the issue

Cheers

The only problem I've had with noise (excluding the expected USB noise at high volumes) has been related to the RCA analogue inputs of the Conductor, regardless the headphones used and combinations I tried. I also had the Soloist SL MK2 with me while auditioning the V2+ checking stuff. From DAC-out to the MK2, there were no issues at all as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back