New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Jul 7, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #481 of 744
Finally, I got it.

My very first experience with it, compared to the previous Swing/Fun combo is that I got power, volume, and well, hard to describe and write around it but feels like my headphone is bigger, and I am pointing to the sound stage. It's wider, deeper, and feels like I am in a room with the music alone, without any interference. I listened some vocal oriented song, and same expression. It feels like the vocalist standing literally in front of me, and singing just only for me.

Right now I am using it under Windows 10 Build 1909, with Volume 100%, everything is turned off, Burson Conductor Runs on 50% Volume, and the music around 50-80% and baby, this got a lot of power. My Beyerdynamic Amiron home feels totally different.
The music feels much more crisp, and huh, hard to say it. Like the songs received some kind of "life", or I don't know.

Is there any way to fine tune it?

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #482 of 744
I have the C3 Ref. And previously owned V2+. All you need is 2x Vivid Duals + 2x Classic Single. That is a great op-amp combo for this particular device. Break them in all together for some time, and you'll notice that after that checking DACs, amps and op-amps will be a waist of time and money....With this, you have a great DAC, a great amp and a juicy balanced sound signature in one box. And you are set until the next Conductor comes out in some years from now.
Maybe this is a silly question: "All you need is 2x Vivid Duals + 2x Classic Single" is it for conductor V2+?.

Jul 13, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #483 of 744
Maybe this is a silly question: "All you need is 2x Vivid Duals + 2x Classic Single" is it for conductor V2+?.
No. V2+ doesn't give you op-amp options.

Jul 13, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #484 of 744
Quick question. Want to buy me a microphone for the Burson. So I can talk on headphones.

Does anybody know what a 3.5 millimeter jack is? I didn't think there was so much choice. Mono stereo digital... yeah, tough. Does anybody know? Thank you very much.
Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-13 um 17.25.26.png

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #485 of 744
Quick question. Want to buy me a microphone for the Burson. So I can talk on headphones.

Does anybody know what a 3.5 millimeter jack is? I didn't think there was so much choice. Mono stereo digital... yeah, tough. Does anybody know? Thank you very much.
Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-13 um 17.25.26.png
The microphone input is mono, you you will need a mic with a 3.5mm mono jack.

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #486 of 744
As good as the built-in DAC of the Conductor is, and as transparent as it sounds while feeding the amp section directly, I've found that hooking up the Holo Spring2 DAC to one of it's RCA inputs takes the performance level of this amp to yet another level. I've always feared the DAC controlled volume attenuation of the C3R would always get in the way of the Spring2 R2R sound, but right now this is probably the closest I've gotten to what this excellent DAC really sounds like. There's just more sense of space, a more natural timbre and the dynamics are really impressive.

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #487 of 744
As good as the built-in DAC of the Conductor is, and as transparent as it sounds while feeding the amp section directly, I've found that hooking up the Holo Spring2 DAC to one of it's RCA inputs takes the performance level of this amp to yet another level. I've always feared the DAC controlled volume attenuation of the C3R would always get in the way of the Spring2 R2R sound, but right now this is probably the closest I've gotten to what this excellent DAC really sounds like. There's just more sense of space, a more natural timbre and the dynamics are really impressive.
Hmmm...very interesting. The C3 uses 32 bit digital volume control embedded in the ESS chip. As far as I understand it, the analogue inputs get converted to digital.

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #488 of 744
Hmmm...very interesting. The C3 uses 32 bit digital volume control embedded in the ESS chip. As far as I understand it, the analogue inputs get converted to digital.
I realize this and while not the best scenario for the Spring2, still a better scenario for the C3R as an amp than with its built-in DAC.

Jul 17, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #489 of 744
Little question, is there actually something like software updates for the amplifier at Burson? There is nothing on the homepage. At ADI they come regularly, hence my question.

Jul 20, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #492 of 744
The OP-Amps only affect the amp section. If it works as a DAC for your AMP, then the op-amp rolling shouldn't have any effect on the sound sig.

This the response from Burson Audio about its DAC function.

Hi Mahidi,

Thank you for your email and your interest in our Conductor 3 Reference.

Yes, all four opamps affect the sound of its DAC output. Two of them are in the I/V stage and two of them are in the L/P stage. Fortunately, the Conductor 3 Reference comes with our V6 Vivid opamps installed. The Vivid is our reference opamp and it is widely regarded as the best in the world adopted by recording studios everywhere.

As you can see from this new review below, the performance of the C3-Ref as a DAC is rock solid and the reviewer ended up buying the C3-Reference from us just for its DAC function. : ) A big reason for this level of performance is due to our Vivid opamps.

Best regards,

Alex

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #494 of 744
The OP-Amps only affect the amp section. If it works as a DAC for your AMP, then the op-amp rolling shouldn't have any effect on the sound sig.
Actually I contacted burson audio and they said opamp also effects DAC and preamp output ... As it should be easy, can any owner of this dac can confirm this ?....

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #495 of 744
Actually I contacted burson audio and they said opamp also effects DAC and preamp output ... As it should be easy, can any owner of this dac can confirm this ?....
I switched all 4 to sparkoslabs, pretty sure opamps also affect the DAC as the performance improved a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back