New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Dec 27, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #736 of 744
My C3XR arrived today. The volume wheel is stepless - I could have sworn that the one I tried in a store is stepped. Is this something they might have changed recently or did I imagine the stepped wheel when I tried it out before? Either way I like it! Much easier to turn circles on it to go up and down. Nevermind if I'm hallucinating lol.

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #737 of 744
Ever heard of silent revisions? :beyersmile:

C3R of 2019 was stepped too. I prefer that kind of precision to be honest. Now the volume may adopt weird behavior, like shifting to the adjacent spot by itself! It rarely does that. It could be an isolated issue on my unit though.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #738 of 744
Yeah this one already has the issue where the number rolls back one every so often while turning it up (I may or may not take it up with Burson seeing it's ex-demo - an argument on both sides there). Never thought it would do it on the spot - at least it would go down instead of up (I hope lol).

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #739 of 744
Yeah this one already has the issue where the number rolls back one every so often while turning it up (I may or may not take it up with Burson seeing it's ex-demo - an argument on both sides there). Never thought it would do it on the spot - at least it would go down instead of up (I hope lol).
It is a bit creepy for sure. Leaning backwards to see the volume reading saying "90" and 10 minutes later checking again to see an "89" without even touching the amp.

Maybe I should bring a priest or something over here to examine the possibilities. 😅

Dec 29, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #740 of 744
BURSON CONDUCTOR 3 REFERENCE owners, could you share your experience? I'm thinking like an all-in-one for the Sony MDR Z1R, Sennheiser HD 600, IEM and prospectively for the Meze Empyrean.
You could give it a try with C3 Ref., but sensitive IEMs may need an attenuator (IFI Ear Buddy or iE Match etc. )to get rid of all of the inner noise coming from the beefy output stage of the amplifier.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #742 of 744
Negative-- there is no volume control via DAC. There is volume control when used as a pre-amp, but you would need a way of measuring the output to make sure you don't push the voltage too high.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #743 of 744
Negative-- there is no volume control via DAC. There is volume control when used as a pre-amp, but you would need a way of measuring the output to make sure you don't push the voltage too high.
Ah that's too bad. I am currently using software EQ to apply a negative gain when listening on my computer for my sensitive high impedance headphones. It works but not ideal, especially if for some reason the software glitches and I end up blowing my ears out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back