New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)
Mar 27, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #361 of 1,256
Any of you with the Play using it with a headset or something like that? I'm using a Fidelio X2 with Vmoda Boom Pro mic and, for example, when I click the windows sound volume bar to play the "pinging" sound it emits a buzz like sound, it plays when other sounds play as well. I've tried with the Modmic 5 and it doesnt do that. Do you guys think its because of the Vmoda mic with its 4 pole that then as a Y splitter to mic and headphone jacks?

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #362 of 1,256
Any of you with the Play using it with a headset or something like that? I'm using a Fidelio X2 with Vmoda Boom Pro mic and, for example, when I click the windows sound volume bar to play the "pinging" sound it emits a buzz like sound, it plays when other sounds play as well. I've tried with the Modmic 5 and it doesnt do that. Do you guys think its because of the Vmoda mic with its 4 pole that then as a Y splitter to mic and headphone jacks?

I own the Burson Play with v5i and I use a V-Moda boom pro mic via splitter with my modhouse argons (t50rp) and I haven’t noticed any buzzing while gaming or listening to music through it.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #363 of 1,256
I really dont know what's wrong, I've never had problems with my Fidelio X2+ V-moda boom pro mic before the Play. Before the Play I was using a Creative X7. I've been in contact with Burson and they've been very responsive but cant pinpoint the problem.

C-Bass are you using the 6.35mm adapter that came with the Play? When did you receive your unit? Do you hear any static noise if you use the volume wheel on the V-moda cable?

I've also been having problems, that were referred here, with the headphone port, it seems a bit loose and if I use the 6.35mm adapter whenever i touch headphone 3.5mm plug i get some static. If I use cable ending in a 6.35mm I dont get this.

Any suggestions? Should I test the Play on another computer ?

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #364 of 1,256
I really dont know what's wrong, I've never had problems with my Fidelio X2+ V-moda boom pro mic before the Play. Before the Play I was using a Creative X7. I've been in contact with Burson and they've been very responsive but cant pinpoint the problem.

C-Bass are you using the 6.35mm adapter that came with the Play? When did you receive your unit? Do you hear any static noise if you use the volume wheel on the V-moda cable?

I've also been having problems, that were referred here, with the headphone port, it seems a bit loose and if I use the 6.35mm adapter whenever i touch headphone 3.5mm plug i get some static. If I use cable ending in a 6.35mm I dont get this.

Any suggestions? Should I test the Play on another computer ?

I have had unit for about two or three months. I don’t touch the V-Moda volume control as this isnt recommended when using an external amp. I have quite a few 6.35mm adapters if I recall I am not using the one that came with the play. They are cheap enough try another one.

Yes my 6.35mm jack does seem on the loose side. It’s very easy to slide the jack in and out of. I did get static when I plugged in a four pole jack with inline mic without using a splitter. I’m out of town at the moment so I can’t directly test it out. I’ll be back Saturday and see if I can replicate anything if you are still having issues.

I’m not super techy so I’m not one to give you other suggestions.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #366 of 1,256
Hey guys, i just got my Burson Play today and it sounds awesome but I've got some questions.

How warm is it supposed to get during use? I'm wondering because mine quite warm to the touch in my opinion.

I downloaded the driver(xmos-usb-(win10)-v4.130) from Burson and i assume that's the correct one based on the information I've gathered so far but i can only select 24bit - 192KHz in the windows options.

I saw this in the manual.

Never, connect or disconnect the headphone jack or the RCA cables from the Play while music is
playing. This could damage the Play. After your listening session, please disconnect the headphone
jack from the Play to prolong the working life of its headphone output socket.

and i was wondering how serious they are about that or if they are just saying that to cover their ass in case something breaks.

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #368 of 1,256
[...]

I saw this in the manual.

"Never, connect or disconnect the headphone jack or the RCA cables from the Play while music is
playing. This could damage the Play. After your listening session, please disconnect the headphone
jack from the Play to prolong the working life of its headphone output socket."

and i was wondering how serious they are about that or if they are just saying that to cover their ass in case something breaks.

When you connect/disconnect a jack plug you create a short-circuit inside the plug. As the BURSON Play has no resistors between the output transistors and your headphones, then...depending on the volume set, you might destroy the PCB or internal wiring or the output stage transistors...though it's kinda difficult to do that given the powerful transistor I've seen inside.

However, the disclaimer is real and it can happen to all amplifiers with jack output plugs. So, let's trust the manufacturers; APPLE jacks are doing the same and this is normal because of the nature of the jack plugs.

BTW, this is not happening to amplifiers having XLR output plugs, just for 2.5mm, 3.5mm, 6.3mm jack/TRS plugs, especially on stereo plugs.

However, let's not worry...I never had an issue with none of my devices, but I must admit that before plugging/unplugging my headphones I always stop the input source or I'm notching down the knob volume to about minimum.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #369 of 1,256
Hi fellow Head-Fiers

I have been testing Burson Play for two month, and here are some of my observations.

1. There is a mistake in the schematic - there are TWO I/V converters and ONE LPF (in the center). I pointed that out to Burson in October 2017, and they called it a "typo". From my understanding of audio DAC post filter design for ESS 9018K2M there are two dual OpAmps for I/V Converter (one for left and one for right stereo channel) and one dual OpAmp for Low-Pass Filter (for both channels) in the circuit (as raoultrifan mentioned above).

2. I like very much the idea of using headphone amplifier in a PC, it can save you a lot of space on a desk. But for me it didn't work out. I heard a constant noise in any of my headphones (such as HD800, Sony MDR-Z7). More noise in more sensitive headphones. Testing showed that the noise came from my PC PSU and was generally dependent on workload. For example, through the noise I heard when I was using my computer mouse because the tonality of noise was different. The noise was clearly heard when there were no other audio (such as music). And when music was playing the noise was present too. By the way my PSU - Seasonic Prime Titanum 650 is supposed to be "good" (http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=536). I suspect the source of the disturbance is my VGA - Asus GeForce GTX 970. I'll try to do more testing when I will have another VGA.

I can't find enough words to describe how it was irritating... Though I was able to suppress that noise by using high quality IC OpAmps in I/V converters such as TI OPA1611 and TI OPA827 (SOIC-DIP8 adapter), but there were no such problems when I used Burson's 70W power adapter.

To summarize - to achieve best results use stock power adapter.

3. After extensive OpAmp rolling between NE5532 (NE5534), NJM2114, OPA1611, OPA827, LME49990, LME49720 (LME49710), AD797, Burson V5i, V6V and V6C in different positions I chose configuration of:

I/V - 4*OPA827, LPF - V6V-Dual, Pre-amp - 2*V6V-Single.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #371 of 1,256
Thanks Sunfog for the review...quite on track!

1. The design is indeed the ESS recommended one, as per my previous post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...mp-rollers-dream.860882/page-23#post-14128905. PCB is designed carefully and the ground plane is very well done. It's most likely a typo in their datasheet...care not about it anyway, you can check the below pic showing the traces that goes from DAC to the 2 dual-opamps:
WP_20180123_21_04_08_Pro.jpg

2. I'm sorry you had such noise issue when using computer's PSU, I never tested PLAY with my desktop's PSU when I saw that with my scope: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...mp-rollers-dream.860882/page-16#post-14030877. However, with the original Burson's PSU I only got some background noise with 16-ohms IEMs and with 32-ohms very sensitive cans.
V5 and V6 opamps are big and without their dedicated and grounded copper shield wrapped around the opamps (which you can purchase from their website I guess) they're sometimes sensitive to RFI/EMI created by the SMPS power supply. I had very low-noise results when using 3 x AD8599 (SOIC-to-DIP8 adapters): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...mp-rollers-dream.860882/page-17#post-14042083.

3. Do you have some pics with the AD797 and/or OPA827 adapters please? I never thought there's enough room to fit those in the I/V stage. :) Thank you!

Mar 28, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #374 of 1,256
Do you have some pics with the AD797 and/or OPA827 adapters please? I never thought there's enough room to fit those in the I/V stage. :) Thank you!

I can post such pics later. SO8 to DIP8 adapters are usually just a little bit bigger than PDIP slot.

Well... do not see it as advertisement, but I can recommend BrownDog adapters http://cimarrontechnology.com/ You can buy AD797, OPA827 premounted on Single to Dual OpAmp adapters. OR you can buy OpAmps from TI directly.

I bought some premounted OpAmps from ebay (hifiic) which were original OpAmps and not fake ones.

Just a reminder - I don't have any connection to the companies mentioned above. It is my positive experience with those.

Mar 28, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #375 of 1,256
Hey!

Talked with Alex, and he allowed me to post this information, about the new dispatched units. There are some improvements. The list is not complete, but I copy-paste what Alex wrote to me!

" The new batch contains a few improvements both on built and sonic performance. Its remote control is further refined and its aluminum finishing also goes up a level. In terms of performance, it is also a step forward. Especially when powered be certain types of budgeted PC internal power supplies, the new revision is better at filtering and conditioning power resulting in a quieter background when paired with sensitive headphones. "

Regards,
kebcy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back