1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by ostewart, Sep 20, 2017.
First

Back
59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68
70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79
Next

Last
  1. Audio Addict Contributor
    Just placed my order for the Playmate. I had just finished a listening session with the Play / Fun through HE6s. Just kept wondering how the Playmate would sound. What a reason to order another DAC / Amp :)

WilliamLeonhart and raoultrifan like this.
  2. Audio Addict Contributor
    Curious if any one ordered the Swing? It has 6 instead of 5 of their new power delivery system but it only has 2 dual opamps and 2 single opamps and no headphone capabilities. Why would it need more power delivery?

3. raoultrifan
    It's not about the power increase, but more related to use dedicated power supplies for different stages inside the DAC. It's like using one power supply for left I/V and LPF, a 2nd PSU for right channel I/V and LPF, 3rd PSU for DAC, 4th PSU for quartz and remaining digital parts, 5th PSU for the LCD display and relay protections etc.

However, without seeing inside the SWING I'm only guessing here, but usually using separate PSU for each stage will improve crosstalk and decrease the noise. But let's see the first one who'll get the SWING and then we'll sort this out for sure. :)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  4. Audio Addict Contributor
    So is the Swing basically a digital DAC with more flexible inputs. I was trying to understand it's difference from the Playmate DAC since it is more expensive with the Burson Audio v6s.

5. raoultrifan
    I do believe you're right, a DAC with more inputs indeed. PLAY had 2 power supplies inside (boost regulators), but after those regulators there were several other linear regulator as well for +5V, +3.3V, +1.2V etc.
    SWING seems to have more boost converters/regulators, and definitely lot of linear regulators as well; this puzzle will get resolved when first buyer will post high resolution pics here on Head-Fi. :)

6. Audio Addict Contributor
    I also ordered the Swing to compare the DAC against the Playmate. We will see if I can tell any difference. I have an extra pair of dual v6 to compare.

7. vadinoy
    dear forum users, I have available durson play (stock). I listen to very fast metal rock, headphones I have akg 712 pro . I'd like a little more help, undercut feed for this couple . What amps I need to buy used dear forum users?

8. raoultrifan
    @vadinoy, PLAY drives K712 perfectly, you need no different headamp.

9. Audio Addict Contributor
    Received email from Burson the Noir Playmate and Swing are starting to ship. There was a supplier issue with the Everest but it should start shipping by the 15th. It is always good to hear the manufacturer stayed on schedule :)

10. vadinoy
    I want more punch and drive for my 712 pro...I'll start with the replacement of the headphone drain cable to Oyaide HPC-X35 ...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  11. raoultrifan
    @vadinoy, use DSP or EQ, what you want has nothing to do with the amplifier itself.
    If you don't like how how 8 x TO-220 transistors working in Class-A are driving your K712, then you seems to have a problem with a linear and neutral sound, so you might want to get an amp with tubes in output stage. This will mellow, distort and warmish the sound, maybe this is what you're looking for.

12. Russianguy
    If you looking for more power, you need to buy WA6-SE amp, but no DAC there.

13. vadinoy
    I use foobar2000 and noise sharpening-very good ! equalizer preset " punch and sparkle "... can still that would advise ?

14. vadinoy
    power enough, I want zhirka and bass :)

15. raoultrifan
    You look a bit like a basshead to me, so...lower the output volume from your EQ with -2.4dB, increase the 30Hz with +2.4dB and the 40Hz with +1.2dB and give it a listen.
    K712 are neutral cans, it's not really to emphasize the bass, but a bit of punch is much more easy to achieve with DSP/EQ and much more cheaper than swapping a neutral amp with another one that sounds more bassy.
    Also, iFi has DAC/headamp combo that have X-Bass included and you might want to read some reviews for their equipment too; this means built-in EQ, not very adjustable like a software EQ, but if it's per your liking then it might be better.

BTW, V5i are a bit on the bassy-side...have a search on this forum and see if someone else tested them. If can't find one...ping me and I'll see if I can try it out (I already have access to 2 identical PLAY unit, so I can do A/B test with different opamps installed in both units).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
First

Back
59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68
70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79
Next

Last