1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by ostewart, Sep 20, 2017.
First

Back
52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61
63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72
Next

Last
  1. WilliamLeonhart
    I've read some measurement posts on ASR and I think they've pretty much proven what those USB filters do nothing :frowning2:

2. Fasterball
    Damn! Fooled by snake oil again! Oh well I'll test it out and if it does nothing then I'll return it.

3. WK446
    I will have to take one for the team as my iDefender 3.0 arrived today ...

4. Eiffel
    iDefender is not quite an USB filter. It breaks the ground loop - that might help in some cases with bad ground to reduce some noise, and it's a power injector ( a very expensive one !! ) - allows you to insert power from a power bank or a better power supply removing the USB power from the device you connect the DAC. If it's a DAC powered from USB it helps, if it's not USB powered it does nothing.
    What I would like from them - a proper Line-Out - with max 2V out bypassing the Amp.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    raoultrifan likes this.
  5. Fasterball
    My Klipsch speakers connect via a 3.5mm connector and I don't have an RCA to 3.5mm adapter so I plug my speakers into the front of the Burson play. Is there anything wrong doing it this way. I've noticed a really high pitched sound coming from my speakers - could this be caused by them being amped twice since they are powered speakers?

6. Eiffel
    Not a problem. Play doesn't have a proper line out - the signal on the Line Out is take from the headphone Jack.
    Just don't set the output level more than 49. The required 2V is obtained with a volume between 45 and 49, depending on your op-amps. I use the volume at 47 when I use Line-Out.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    raoultrifan likes this.
  7. WK446
    Tried the iDefender 3.0 with and without power. No difference that I can note... Save your money.

8. raoultrifan
    PLAY gets it's power from the external power supply, which is re-regulated inside, so iDefender can't do anything to the output sound, because it's not powering the PLAY at all. Also, PLAY is not directly connected to the computer, instead it's using an internal USB hub; this way it's decoupled from the computer's noisy USB port.

Even if I don't think iDefender could actually improve the output sound to a level that our ears could sense the difference, you might want to try it out in a USB-powered DAC.

9. WK446
    I have a Sabaj DM3 Dac but it is already dead silent from the factory. I am hoping the new board revision for the Play will help. Thanks.

10. WK446
    Received the new 2.3 PCB today. There are few issues that I hope Burson can assist me with...

Note the large black cap directly to the right of the rightmost "470" marked chip. It prevents me from tightening down the XMOS card that fits over it.

There is also an issue with the power port. Somehow this new board does not allow me to use the old power supply cable. It is as if the center pen is too large for the old power cable connector.

Sigh. More to follow...
    IMG_20181116_143452.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Eiffel likes this.
  11. Fasterball
    I'm excited to see how this progresses.

12. Fasterball
    So I tried out the isilencer 3.0 because I was getting a really high pitched sound coming through the Burson Play. It was so high that I though I was developing tinnitus. I noticed it first on my powered speakers but then I really noticed it with my AD900x. I could not hear it at all with my AKG 712 Pro and HE 400i. I think it's impedance related. That being said the isilencer 3.0 did nothing at all. I was disappointed. Reading through this thread it seems others have tried the ifi EarBuddy and that it fixed the issue. Thoughts?

13. C-Bass
    I’ve used the ear buddy successfully to eliminate hiss when using very sensitive headphones. Like your ad900x but I certainly would not describe it as a high pitched sound. I also don’t see how the ear buddy is going to help with sound coming out of your speakers. This to me sounds different as I would not describe it as high pitched or pearcing.

14. Fasterball
    It's an odd sound. At first I thought I was going crazy but then my wife heard it too. I guess I'll try the ear buddy and see.

15. Eiffel
    Ear buddy or IE Match ( better ) are just attenuators - If your headphones are vey sensitive and have low impedance, they may help to reduce/remove hiss or hum if present.
    I use Ear Buddy as all my heaphones have low impedance - it gives me better volume control. On v2.2 I don't hear hum or hiss even with the direct connected. Just a volume bigger than 3 might let me deaf. With Ear buddy I can go to 9.

I also tested iFi iSilencer 3 - was on Black Friday sale here yesterday. Well, I can hear a difference. But not the one I expected, or nothing. On Play the sound seems slightly warmer, but also veiled in the bass and lower mids. I didn't like it at all even if the change was minor. On a very cheap Sabaj Da2 ( similar ESS9018 DAC ), powered from a power bank - didn't tested he iFi ANC - just wanted similar conditions with the Play, it's a bit better as Da2 sound was quite flat and a bit clinical. Now it gets slightly warmer - more pleasant to listen. Still I notice the same veil.

L.E. I tested now the iSIlencer on the Sabaj Da2 powered from the USB through iSIlencer, not from power bank to see how it works at full potential ( with ANC noise filter ) and the sound is better than on power bank + iSilencer Weird thing. Slight warmer than without iSIlencer, but no veil...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    WK446 likes this.
First

Back
52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61
63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72
Next

Last