1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by ostewart, Sep 20, 2017.
First

Back
51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60
62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71
Next

Last
  1. Eiffel
    Yes they sell only to local dealers, but they put me in contact with one of them an I bought from it.
    Had yo wait about 2 weeks in order for them to get them from Rutronik with other orders they had. I could get them faster but that would imply to pay more for transportation.

2. Fasterball
    We'll see if that works for ordering some 8820s. I sent a few emails out.

3. Fasterball
    Are some usb ports on the back of the pc noisier than others? If I had to guess I'd say yes. I just changed the port I had my Play plugged into and all of the sudden I'm getting noise that I never had before. I changed back to the port I was using at first and there was silence. Which types of ports tend to be the noisiest?

4. WilliamLeonhart
    Hmm I’ve never had that happened to me. Could be that the front ports are further from the other components than the backside ones?

5. raoultrifan
    Shortest path is usually less noisy, so take a look to your motherboard and if you find USB plugs directly soldered onto the motherboard, then you should use that ports.
    Front ports are usually connected via 10-12" shielded cables and noise appears on 5V; I had measured in the past the USB ports 5V voltage more than 10 laptops and desktops and indeed shortest path was having the least noise possible.

BTW, ripple is much worse than the noise itself; noise can be filtered, but AC ripple...not much to do, unless the USB DAC is powered externally from a different PSU.

WilliamLeonhart and Eiffel like this.
  6. Eiffel
    You should also avoid USB3 ports.

Some mainboards have "special" USB ports for use with Audio DAC's with better filtration.

7. WilliamLeonhart
    Will a cable with ferrite be able to help about the ripple problem?

8. raoultrifan
    High frequency noise might be lowered by using a ferrite around the USB or power cable, but usually the AC ripple is the real enemy here.

Attached are 2 USB ports from 2 different laptops: T440 via docking station vs. X201, both running on AC power:

T440-docking.png X201_left-port-2.png

So, docks are just no good to power DACs, unless they have their own built-in/dedicated 5V USB power supply.

WilliamLeonhart likes this.
  9. Eiffel
    You may try some iFi USB filters.

If you have an USB powered DAC, then a iDefender 3.0 may be quite ok - it breaks the ground loop, but you can also add a better power supply ( a power bank may be ) for the DAC.
    Of course you can DIY in some cases - using an Y cable and removing the +5V pin from the USB plug connected to the PC. I did it for a Sabaj Da2.

of course they have a big variety of filters some wants even to improve the digital signal. There are some reviews for them on the forum. Never tried them however.

10. raoultrifan
    I only care about ripple reduction, and AFAIK this can only be done by adding another +5V PSU. However, I'll probably test a Wyrd soon, though I don't expect any audible improvements.

I prefer to test all my USB ports and choose the one that has the lowest AC ripple & noise, then connect my DAC to it. :)

11. Fasterball
    I'll try using my usb 2.0 ports. The problem with my motherboard is that almost all of my rear ports are either usb 3.0 or usb 3.1. I have exactly two usb 2.0 ports and I've had my mouse and keyboard plugged into them. Will my mouse and keyboard do okay in the usb 3.0 ports?

12. Fasterball
    I'm going to try out the IFI Isilencer 3.0.

13. WK446
    Just an FYI that the latest Play IC board revision is 2.3.

I have the original 1.6 board in mine and I purchased the upgraded board recently but have not received it.

I am also encountering varying amounts of noise depending on which USB port I have selected on my desktop PC. After trying different ports, I have located a fairly quiet one. I am using a USB cable with ferrite ends...

14. Eiffel
    Wonder what changed. Some pics when you receive it ?

Sure. They are backward compatible.
    Just it seems that they are more noisier when using a DAC. This is what I'll try first.

Not sure for the iSilencer. It filter the power noise, but the Play it's not powered from USB.
    iPurifier might be better, but as I said I never played with them, and also I don't believe they can make big difference.
    It's your computer grounded ? Some people said iDefender 3.0helped them to get rid of USB noise - it breaks the ground loop.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  15. WK446
    I will take photos of the 2.3 board when I receive it.

There appear to be quite a few improvements with 1.6 to 2.2. The improvements seemed to be related to noise and compatibility with high sensitivity headphones and IEM. I didn't realize that revision 2.3 was out until I emailed Burson. This is what they wrote:

The 2.3 PCB made the following improvements:

1. Improvement pre-amp output so that the preamp output with better volume control range.
    2. The improve overall grounding design hence reduce the overall noise floor.
    3. Minor adjustment to the power supply for improved stability.

Eiffel likes this.
First

Back
51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60
62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71
Next

Last