New: Brainwavz R3
Sep 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 157

Tommy C

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.mp4nation.net/headphones/headphones-earphones/brainwavz/brainwavz-r3-dual-dynamic-iem-earphones

I wonder how they perform. At the pre-order price I think it is worth a try, full price? Hmmm not so sure. Prices are going down while sound quality gets better and better.

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 157
The configuration of these is quite unique I look forward to seeing how they turn out.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 157
http://www.mp4nation.net/headphones/headphones-earphones/brainwavz/brainwavz-r3-dual-dynamic-iem-earphones

I wonder how they perform. At the pre-order price I think it is worth a try, full price? Hmmm not so sure. Prices are going down while sound quality gets better and better.

Price difference is only $10 on the pre-order over regular price. If it was more I would jump in and resell if I didn't care for them.
Even if I have to spend an extra $10, I'll wait for reviews. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 157
These IEMs were a lot more comfortable than I was expecting them to be.  They are oddly shaped, but it doesn't deter from comfort that much surprisingly.  Impressed with how well they actually fit.  The sound isn't that sensitive, so they do take a little more power to drive.  To hit my preferred volume it takes 5-6 clicks on my iPod rather than the standard 4 that I need for most headphones.  Sensitivity and volume output is similar to that of the Phonak PFE232, maybe a little less sensitive (I normally listen with 5 clicks with that). 

The sound signature is surprisingly very linear overall.  It's a brighter phone coming from something like the H-200 and even the RE-400 (this is from memory, don't have the RE-400 with me to compare).  That said, the signature runs in the opposite direction of the R1. 

I'm still baffled at how well these things fit :p 

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #8 of 157
These sound like they might be a great IEM. I look forward to seeing how they compare other DDM's including the new Kef.

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 157
I just got the Brainwavz R3 in.

Yep, these things fit much better than one would have ever guessed. I'm baffled they even fit!

How do they fit? Well first of all, BW gives you a ton of tips including a Med T500 Comply. And next, about 3 inches of cable on both sides leading to the driver is memory wire. Bendable and what not. This allows you to mold it to stay in.

So how do they sound? Classicals, good quality classic rock, opera, live performances are gold with these things. They are similar to how S-Logic by Ultrasone works in that the sound(especially the lows) are farther away and slightly reverberent. The R3's do have a bass end, but its bass capabilities are more similar to say the Vsonic GR07's in that they are there and are fairly tight, than to say an XB500(XB stands for Extra Bass if that gives you an idea). They are very clear sounding but are not fatiguing in any of its mid to high freqs and are not too analytical so far from what I've tested

Live performances, the classics, and well recorded classic rock is pretty phenomenal with the R3's. What is missing from say comparing this to an IEM say the Heir Audio Tzar class($300-$400) would be that its still lacking in refinement and that this is still more based in consumer musical enjoyment rather than being purely analytical and showing the user what may be more wrong. This is pretty good for most people's cases,but lots in the audiophile world want neutrality. The R3 also has problems with mainstream genres like hip hop not in that it falls flat on its back, but in that it presents it too cleanly. Hip hop and rap is supposed to deal and be enjoyed with tons of bass and warm sound that fills the empty space. The R3 presents too much empty clear space that the hip hop doesn't fill and doesn't have the bass capabilities to keep up in enjoyment.

This is just initial impressions. My full review will have better grammar and English. I promise.
cool.gif
I'm dropping lots of ideas of audiophilia without explanation of what that exactly means.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 157
I recieved a pair to evaluate and so far am mostly happy with fit (comfortable but come loose) but also need to do some tip rolling.

Like their build quality alot, the word tank comes to mind. My only concern is cable weight which will necessitate a cable clip.

I find their signature to be bright neutral with a polite bass. Initially they sounded a bit sterile but started to change pretty quickly gaining detail and dynamic impact. I want to burn them in for a couple days before saying much more about the signature.

I mentioned elsewhere they are like the Delta signature wise but with alot more detail and refinement. So people concerned about the signature could buy the Delta to decide if they like the signature to a degree. In my case I really liked the Delta so these are going be a great IEM for me assuming I overcome any fit issues.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 157
I recieved a pair to evaluate and so far am mostly happy with fit (comfortable but come loose) but also need to do some tip rolling.

Like their build quality alot, the word tank comes to mind. My only concern is cable weight which will necessitate a cable clip.

I find their signature to be bright neutral with a polite bass. Initially they sounded a bit sterile but started to change pretty quickly gaining detail and dynamic impact. I want to burn them in for a couple days before saying much more about the signature.

I mentioned elsewhere they are like the Delta signature wise but with alot more detail and refinement. So people concerned about the signature could buy the Delta to decide if they like the signature to a degree. In my case I really liked the Delta so these are going be a great IEM for me assuming I overcome any fit issues.

I agree with the neutral(for the price range) but with a polite bass all fit together with a large(but not overly) soundstage.

I am having problems with channel imbalance with the Delta's. and aren't really 'into' them. Haven't used the Delta's extensively yet.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 157
I will listen to both again doing several A/B tests in case they are not as similar in signature as I thought.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 157
I will listen to both again doing several A/B tests in case they are not as similar in signature as I thought.

I found them to be quite similar in signature but with the Delta being very un-refined. There are some harshness in the upper mids in the Delta's which is something the R3's don't have. The Delta's have more pronounced, but less quality bass and has a more extreme sound stage. Yet again, un-refined sounding almost likes its in a wind tunnel

edit:
If anyone is interested, unboxings of R3 and Delta have been posted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTcX-pKwq28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5lcuTqQ088

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #15 of 157
Originally, the R3s were advertised as having a detachable cable.  Since their permanently attached cables are said to be unusually durable and robust, only one problem seems to remain (assuming the earpiece connectors never come loose):  The ability to swap an inline mic cable for the standard one.  This option would be crucial for a preorder's mobile use.

It looks as though you can't preorder the R3 in a headset version, which means that being out and about and wanting to accept a call would involve a cumbrous headset attachment from a third party (which, in practice, I despise).  

I'd have preordered the R3 and the Delta (the latter for my grillfiend) if inline mic versions were offered or the cable really were detachable.  

Re the consistent claim that the R3 and Delta are "unrefined" -- that's a rather vague adjective to use.  What do you mean by unrefined exactly, and when you talk about the Deltas, are you comparing them to other IEMs in their price range?  

I'm not interested in the S1 personally, but if I were, I'd demand an inline mic, because the bassier signature seems designed for headset use in noisy environments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back