1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New book on the birth of the Sony Walkman

Next

Last
  1. Left Channel
    Not just for Head-Fiers of a certain age...

Just saw this in a book launch event announcement.
    It's available in Paperback, Kindle, and Google Book formats.

----

Personal Stereo
    by Rebecca Tuhus-Dubrow

When the Sony Walkman debuted in 1979, people were enthralled by the novel experience it offered: immersion in the music of their choice, anytime, anywhere. But the Walkman was also denounced as self-indulgent and antisocial-the quintessential accessory for the "me" generation.

In Personal Stereo, Rebecca Tuhus-Dubrow takes us back to the birth of the device, exploring legal battles over credit for its invention, its ambivalent reception in 1980s America, and its lasting effects on social norms and public space. Ranging from postwar Japan to the present, Tuhus-Dubrow tells an illuminating story about our emotional responses to technological change.

2. Left Channel
    O. M. G...

walkman-ad.jpg

3. SilverEars

hamhamhamsta and Left Channel like this.
  4. wuwhere Contributor
    df05888938f45e9f83c637f78891f571--retro-advertising-vintage-colors.jpg

Left Channel likes this.
  5. SilverEars
    [​IMG]

Left Channel likes this.
  6. Left Channel
    More Eighties embarrassment, via @Mike Foley over on the Schiit thread.

I had to look this one up. "In 1981, the single 'Wired for Sound' hit No. 4 in the UK and also became Richard's biggest hit in Australia since the early 1960s." [Wikipedia]

Edit: fixed the quotation marks. Singles inside doubles. Because OCD.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Mike Foley likes this.
  7. wuwhere Contributor
    ezgif.com-crop.gif

Left Channel likes this.
  8. wuwhere Contributor
    Screenshot-2017-11-6 Why is a 'Walkman' called so - Times of India.png

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Left Channel likes this.
  9. Left Channel
    Love it..."quality sound reproduction" as good as "a ticket to Carnegie Hall" or "an expensive component stereo". Not. :)

10. SHAMuuu
    Interesting on the book! That bit about it was meant for youngsters who need music all the time. :p hell yeah!

That pic looks more dangerous than reaching Audio Nirvana.

Wait.... so Audio Nirvana is being on a date , rollerskating, and sharing music with another? :D

11. Left Channel
    I guess that year, for some people, true nirvana would have been a Walkman-sharing skating date with Olivia Newton-John. Or John Travolta.

(Sorry if some of you are cringing like you heard fingernails on a blackboard just now. I'm just sayin'.)

12. SHAMuuu
    Grease on wheels + SONY. Would be OK. A little before my time, (born late 80s). But we did watch Grease in class for some reason. :D

Left Channel likes this.
  13. Left Channel
    Grease + Xanadu + Sony + Spandex on wheels. Or something.

14. SHAMuuu
    I know if i'm on skates, they're inline 4, and i would probably go with a ipod shuffle and buds or better when those truely wireless earbuds consistently prove to work flawlessly.

I hope i can be as happy as in the photo. Sony marketing is excellent past and present.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Left Channel likes this.
  15. Left Channel
    :-D Great gif. Speaking of iPods, here is the opening section of Personal Stereo:

introduction.jpg

(From the Amazon "Look Inside" website sample.)

Mike Foley likes this.
Next

Last