New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Aug 16, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #1,069 of 1,954
Any T1 G2 owner like to offer some advice on the weight distribution of these cans? I had the T90 before, sold it because I thought it was quite weighty and press down on my spine somewhat. I have health issues and cannot use heavy phones for long listening session. I should have dismissed T1 but I recently have a chance to have tried the DT1990 pro, and found they are more comfortable than the T90. Maybe that has to do with DT1990 pro are open phones and less weighty with the cups than the T90. I just wonder if I should go up to T1 G2.

Aug 16, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #1,070 of 1,954
Any T1 G2 owner like to offer some advice on the weight distribution of these cans? I had the T90 before, sold it because I thought it was quite weighty and press down on my spine somewhat. I have health issues and cannot use heavy phones for long listening session. I should have dismissed T1 but I recently have a chance to have tried the DT1990 pro, and found they are more comfortable than the T90. Maybe that has to do with DT1990 pro are open phones and less weighty with the cups than the T90. I just wonder if I should go up to T1 G2.

Did you mean to post here, this is the T5p Gen 2 thread?

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #1,073 of 1,954
I have been using the T5P g2 with my iBasso DX80 and have really enjoyed this combination. I like all kinds of music and I do enjoy some punch. I have not compared these to anything better than Bose (QC15 and 25) and PSB MAU1. I felt the PSB phones were a step up from the Bose and the T5p hugely better, soundstage, detail, punch, in every way. So I should be very happy, right? Now I am getting sucked into this feeling the re may be something better. I have ordered the Sennheiser HD800 S phones and the new iBasso DX200. The DX200 is more high end then the DX80 so I am expecting some improvement (sometimes I do wonder how it can get any better). I am getting a little worried I may be disappointed with the HD800 S. Originally I wanted a close end design and a good sound stage, and the T5p g2 was perfect and I never had regrets. But I have never really enjoyed classical music with the BDs.

The iBasso has a higher powered balanced output connection and the HD800 S has a balanced cable included (I ordered a connection to match the two) so the iBasso should be able to drive the Sennheisers. I am sure a headphone amp would help but want to be certain I want to keep the HD800 S phones. If they improve on an already good soundstage (I am hoping to have a soundstage a little more in front of me) and play my country, jazz, and everything else well then I will keep them and start searching for an amp. After burning in if anyway I am not satisfied I will return them, my hunch is they are not going to blow me away enough to keep them. Even if I keep them I am not getting rid of my BDs. I really do not want to keep the HD800 S just for classical music.

If I do return the HD800 S then I want to see if there is anything I can do to improve the sound of the T5p 2. I think the upgraded iBasso will help. I don't want to change ear cups (may be open to that someday). Could a good headphone amp help make listening to classical music more enjoyable? I remember years ago owning a tube amp that made strings sound oh so good. This was with a speaker system and I ended up getting rid of the amp because tubes kept burning out, but I missed the sound when listening to classical. Could a tube amp do the same with the T5p g2?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #1,074 of 1,954
Sep 6, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #1,075 of 1,954
Good find, I have a pair of T5P 2nd gen's coming my way soon. They should be in next Tuesday. I have the DT-1990's in my collection now and I love them. How do the T5P's compare to the DT-1990's? Are they complementary to each other?

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #1,076 of 1,954
Good find, I have a pair of T5P 2nd gen's coming my way soon. They should be in next Tuesday. I have the DT-1990's in my collection now and I love them. How do the T5P's compare to the DT-1990's? Are they complementary to each other?

I don't think hanselmann will answer your question, he is member of trade, ie working at Beyerdynamic :). I had the t5p 2nd almost a year ago so can't remember any details except I remember them as very good headphones. But I have no doubt that they will compliment each other very well.

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #1,077 of 1,954
I don't think hanselmann will answer your question, he is member of trade, ie working at Beyerdynamic :). I had the t5p 2nd almost a year ago so can't remember any details except I remember them as very good headphones. But I have no doubt that they will compliment each other very well.
I didn't even pay attention to the underwriting next to his Avatar. The DT-1990's are fantastic headphones. I'm hoping the T5P's will continue that trend in a closed can.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #1,078 of 1,954
I didn't even pay attention to the underwriting next to his Avatar. The DT-1990's are fantastic headphones. I'm hoping the T5P's will continue that trend in a closed can.

Great question! I absolutely adore my DT1990's. They're my current favorite headphones I've ever personally heard (and felt for that matter). Can't decide between T5pV2 or DT1770 for my next closed headphone.

Sep 6, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,079 of 1,954
Great question! I absolutely adore my DT1990's. They're my current favorite headphones I've ever personally heard (and felt for that matter). Can't decide between T5pV2 or DT1770 for my next closed headphone.
I went for the DT-1990's instead of the the T1.2's because I thought they offered me enough of the T1.2's sound that I could be happy with them. But I think the T5P V2 are a bigger step up from the DT-1770's to my ears that I went for them instead to be my portable closed reference headphones. It was pretty obvious to my ears that the T5P V2's were better, YMMV

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #1,080 of 1,954
I went for the DT-1990's instead of the the T1.2's because I thought they offered me enough of the T1.2's sound that I could be happy with them. But I think the T5P V2 are a bigger step up from the DT-1770's to my ears that I went for them instead to be my portable closed reference headphones. It was pretty obvious to my ears that the T5P V2's were better, YMMV

Cool that you have a DT 1990 Pro. But, if one's goal is to have the "T 1 sound on a budget", I would rather go for the Amiron. DT 1990 Pro is a professional headphone, with tight fit, super durable materials, single-sided cable, no balanced option and a very up-front, detailed sound - for some too much. The Amiron is easier for listening and wearing comfort is absolutely higher. Also, you have access to the aforementioned choice of cables on the Amiron home. Please read our FAQs, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back