New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
May 9, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #3,616 of 3,911
I love my T1.2 but personally I need to use Oratory1990's EQ to get it in line. If this was your only set of headphones I'm sure your brain could just get used to it and normalise it but switching back and forth with other cans without EQ it's just too out of whack for me. With EQ and with the right amp (I have the Beyer A20 now and it pairs AMAZINGLY with the T1.2) it's fantastic. It's weakness would be speed which leads to a little low end bloom in the bass. But if it were quicker and tighter in the low end I think it would lose some of its magic. It's imaging is amazing and soundstage is just right.

May 9, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #3,617 of 3,911
I use my T1.2 without EQ, but I only use it for jazz, ambient electronica and gaming. For me its an relaxing and neutral sound signature. While I also love other headphones with more mids since it sounds fuller it gives me fatigue.

Also a BIG positive for me is that since the drivers are angled and deep enough they don't touch my ears. When they don't have depth even many expensive headphones will be as painful as Grados on the ears, taking away the enjoyment.
To mention a few that has shallow depth: Focal, Sennheiser 600&800, Beyerdynamic 770& 880 & 990 & 1990, AKG, Hifiman round & oval models.

May 9, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #3,618 of 3,911
I've got family in the US, so I've already requested replacement parts from the US branch of BD. Japan let me down with crazy high prices, hopefully the US branch will be a bit nicer. Nearly $400 just for the bow assy is bonkers, and almost halfway towards straight up getting a T1 3rd if I was feeling like it.

May 10, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #3,619 of 3,911
400 is insane, I got a perfect condition used t1.2 for 450$.

May 10, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #3,620 of 3,911
Got mine for 500 USD, dang. Did any of your T1.2's come with goodies? Asides from the default packaging, mine came with a periapt XLR cable, got an Amiron-style headband, and the plastic sliding system got upgraded to the metal/ball-bearing adjustment system and came with extra internal clips for the headband shoulders.

May 10, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #3,621 of 3,911
Got an extra cable, the original 3m xlr from Beyer. Sold it to get a shorter one from Arctic Cables, a very light and flexible one 👌

May 12, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #3,622 of 3,911
Got an extra cable, the original 3m xlr from Beyer. Sold it to get a shorter one from Arctic Cables, a very light and flexible one 👌
Arctic cables are great - quick and excellent work.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #3,623 of 3,911
Got a decent deal on the t1.2 so finally I bought them after being curious about their sound for years

First reaction: they are not what I expected!
I was expecting kind of a warmer t90 or a hd650 with augmented soundstage...
But, I would describe them as quite dark sounding, much darker then my t90 with slightly less soundstage.
The low mid seemed even more elevated than my hd650
Am I crazy? I definitely need to give them another run tonight
Tested with Astell& kern sr15 and Beyer a20

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #3,624 of 3,911
Got a decent deal on the t1.2 so finally I bought them after being curious about their sound from years

But, I would describe them as quite dark sounding, much darker then my t90 with slightly less soundstage.

I hated my T1.2's for many weeks! I'm glad I stuck by them. They are end game for me now. A change of earpads made a world of difference.

May 28, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #3,625 of 3,911
Got a decent deal on the t1.2 so finally I bought them after being curious about their sound from years

I think the amp pairing makes a world of difference (or at least can) with this pair. I'm running my pair off a DX7 (original) and they sound simply sublime. I also highly recommend trying the Dekoni Elite pads (try them all). Improved comfort and very interesting sonic changes as well that I personally enjoyed. I listen to my pair with 3 pads and alternate between them. Don't forget, our ears need time to adjust to new sound signatures as well.

May 28, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #3,626 of 3,911
I hated my T1.2's for many weeks! I'm glad I stuck by them. They are end game for me now. A change of earpads made a world of difference.
Eheh they are not going anywhere :)
It's part of the game. I also know that for me going immediately back and forth between headphones doesn't make any sense.

I was just curious to know if someone experienced the same, especially in relation to the hd650, since the T1s are generally described as bright :)

May 28, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #3,627 of 3,911
Eheh they are not going anywhere :)
It's part of the game. I also know that for me going immediately back and forth between headphones doesn't make any sense.

I was just curious to know if someone experienced the same, especially in relation to the hd650, since the T1s are generally described as bright :)
Yeah the T1.2's sound somewhat similar to the Amiron Home but a bit smoother in the treble and a bit fuller in lower mids. I've heard some bright pairs of the T1.2 though which may explain why some find them bright. But overall the T1.2 is a dark headphone. And the T1.3 takes the sound signature even further by being even fuller and a bit darker sounding. I found the HD 650 somewhat bright compared to my T1.2 and T1.3.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #3,628 of 3,911
I think the amp pairing makes a world of difference (or at least can) with this pair. I'm running my pair off a DX7 (original) and they sound simply sublime. I also highly recommend trying the Dekoni Elite pads (try them all). Improved comfort and very interesting sonic changes as well that I personally enjoyed. I listen to my pair with 3 pads and alternate between them. Don't forget, our ears need time to adjust to new sound signatures as well.
Absolutely agree that getting the best out of the T1s (esp. the 600s) requires a good amp pairing. I got the best results with OTL tube amps (esp. WA2), but the Jotunheim 2 sounds very nice as well. With respect to ear pads, I just tried the Dekoni fenestrated lambskin and suede and hated both. Cutting out the lining that (literally) veils the driver helped a bit, but I think the thickness of the pads screws with the angle of the driver. I found the altered sound (closed-in and boomy, muddling bass) to be undesirable and as soon as I went back to the stock pads I knew I preferred them immediately. I think whether or not you like different pads depends on a lot of factors though. If anyone wants to try the Dekoni pads, I'll sell them as a combo deal for $60 (used for > 1 hour, like new except for the driving lining cut out). Price includes shipping and fees.

May 28, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #3,629 of 3,911
Yeah the T1.2's sound somewhat similar to the Amiron Home but a bit smoother in the treble and a bit fuller in lower mids. I've heard some bright pairs of the T1.2 though which may explain why some find them bright. But overall the T1.2 is a dark headphone. And the T1.3 takes the sound signature even further by being even fuller and a bit darker sounding. I found the HD 650 somewhat bright compared to my T1.2 and T1.3.
Cool that's exactly the impression I've got!

May 28, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #3,630 of 3,911
despite people calling it bright, my first impression of my T1 is that it's, for the most part actually quite balanced sounding, I even hesitate to call them bright these days, it just have some peaks that emphasize on some bright sounding instrument.
Its nowhere dark tho, at least they never are being driven out my DX7s, SE or Balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back