New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Apr 3, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #3,586 of 3,911
I've got my T1.2 for a year or two now and just recently fell in love with them again after a long break.
Question: I've heard people talking about that the T1.2 sounds much better with tubes. Is that the truth and if so, which amp would you guys recommend?

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #3,587 of 3,911
Apr 3, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #3,588 of 3,911
I've got my T1.2 for a year or two now and just recently fell in love with them again after a long break.
Question: I've heard people talking about that the T1.2 sounds much better with tubes. Is that the truth and if so, which amp would you guys recommend?

I think this headphone can sound good with both tube and solid state amps. I like the Woo Audio WA3 tube amp and the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, Platinum and Gold amps. The Liquid Platinum is a tube hybrid amp and the other two are solid state.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #3,589 of 3,911
can the headband of these be detached without making any damage? the foam on my T1.1 is almost all deflated and im thinking of restuffing these as the leather outer part is still in pretty good condition.
Also one side of mine is getting loose, its too easy to change position, anyone know if there's an easy fix to tighter the headband adjustment up?

You can find most of the stuff here :)

It’s not in Headphones (full size). It lives here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...-t1-impressions-and-discussion-thread.508836/
Nice review though

Thanks a lot!

Could not find it at all before :)

Apr 13, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #3,590 of 3,911
I've got T1.2 since about a year, and I'm absolutely in love with it. I use a Teac UD-503 as balanced DAC and headphone amp, and I ricabled T1 with a DIY balanced cable made in OFC and hard textile covering. I think the greater ability of this headphone is to be precise and clean but not hard and fatiguing, not to my ears at least.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #3,591 of 3,911
I think this headphone can sound good with both tube and solid state amps. I like the Woo Audio WA3 tube amp and the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, Platinum and Gold amps. The Liquid Platinum is a tube hybrid amp and the other two are solid state.

The Lyr 3 is also a good option.

Apr 14, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #3,592 of 3,911
I'm using my T1.2 with a Topping DX7 (Balanced XLR) and it sound simply amazing.

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #3,593 of 3,911
I love my T1.2s! It wasn’t love at first hearing, but they won me over full time, eventually. I tried the black edition first in summer last year, but returned them as those sounded too dark, too bass-heavy to my liking. Yet I didn’t want to give up, so got the standard T1.2. That was much better, yet still a bit mellow, just comfortable, very detailed sound. Slow music sounded sublime, fast aggressive music sounded congested, like if it couldn’t distinguish all the information. That was through my UD-301 and MX-HPA. Got the balanced cable, set the amp to High-gain and voila, T1.2 are now perfect through all my music. I can listen for hours (what’s the least amount of sleep human being can survive on? :dt880smile:) I love that combination so much that I’ve got second pair of T1.2 for my other station. That one is UD-503 with Byerdynamic A2. Single ended connection over RCA, but with A2 set to high-gain, it drives the T1.2 splendidly through all my music. Interestingly, my T1.2s sound slightly different from each other, one is a bit warmer than the other. Tried swapping pads, cables, stations... same result. They are not that far off SN wise - the warmer one is slightly above No44000, the brighter one is slightly above No50000. In the end to my ears the warmer one fits the more analitical A2 amp better, the brighter one fits the MX-HPA better. I now have two systems that I’m absolutely happy with and it’s now all about the music. I tried the T1.2 balanced directly from UD-503 but the impression of congested representation in busy music areas is there, not sure if it’s because UD-503 is not powerful enough?

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #3,594 of 3,911
I love my T1.2s! It wasn’t love at first hearing, but they won me over full time, eventually. I tried the black edition first in summer last year, but returned them as those sounded too dark, too bass-heavy to my liking. Yet I didn’t want to give up, so got the standard T1.2. That was much better, yet still a bit mellow, just comfortable, very detailed sound. Slow music sounded sublime, fast aggressive music sounded congested, like if it couldn’t distinguish all the information. That was through my UD-301 and MX-HPA. Got the balanced cable, set the amp to High-gain and voila, T1.2 are now perfect through all my music. I can listen for hours (what’s the least amount of sleep human being can survive on? :dt880smile:) I love that combination so much that I’ve got second pair of T1.2 for my other station. That one is UD-503 with Byerdynamic A2. Single ended connection over RCA, but with A2 set to high-gain, it drives the T1.2 splendidly through all my music. Interestingly, my T1.2s sound slightly different from each other, one is a bit warmer than the other. Tried swapping pads, cables, stations... same result. They are not that far off SN wise - the warmer one is slightly above No44000, the brighter one is slightly above No50000. In the end to my ears the warmer one fits the more analitical A2 amp better, the brighter one fits the MX-HPA better. I now have two systems that I’m absolutely happy with and it’s now all about the music. I tried the T1.2 balanced directly from UD-503 but the impression of congested representation in busy music areas is there, not sure if it’s because UD-503 is not powerful enough?

So you found the black editions to sound different as well? I had a normal T1.2 in the past and it sounded completely different, I thought it may of been an odd one that just sounded notably brighter and leaner without any hint of added warmth but maybe they do actually sound different in general. Someone needs to measure the black editions and the normal ones sometime to confirm. Something is going on with the T1.2 as impressions are all over the place in terms of warmth and darkness. The Gen 3 is even darker and bassier than the black edition gen 2.

That may be driver variation or possibly driver break in. Does the brighter pair have about as many hours as the warmer one or is there a big usage difference between them?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #3,595 of 3,911
So you found the black editions to sound different as well? I had a normal T1.2 in the past and it sounded completely different, I thought it may of been an odd one that just sounded notably brighter and leaner without any hint of added warmth but maybe they do actually sound different in general. Someone needs to measure the black editions and the normal ones sometime to confirm. Something is going on with the T1.2 as impressions are all over the place in terms of warmth and darkness. The Gen 3 is even darker and bassier than the black edition gen 2.

That may be driver variation or possibly driver break in. Does the brighter pair have about as many hours as the warmer one or is there a big usage difference between them?

I've read quite a few impressions where people have confirmed in A/B comparisons that the T1.2 Silver vs Black do in fact sound different form another. Black is a tad darker, smoother in the 5-7khz range and has slightly more emphasis on the bass compared to the silver. I am currently rocking the T1.2 black and really love my unit. It's SN is a bit over 46xxx.

I've also gone and purchased the Dekoni Elite Velour, Perforated Leather and Hybrid pads. I ended up sending the Hybrid pads back (they sounded just horrible) but kept the Velour and the Perf Leather. I actually pad roll between the stock, velour and perf leather .. all 3 are incredible and suit my needs depending on what "mood" I happen to be in at the time. Honestly, I own several ToTL cans.. MDR-Z1R, Arya, Ether 2, Ether Flow ... this T1 is somehow my favorite one out of the entire bunch. Pairs beautifully with the DX7 (original). Very beautiful and holographic sound/presentation to them.

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #3,596 of 3,911

I got the black edition brand new. Not sure if they needed further breaking in, but had them running for few days nonstop, they kept opening up but the bass representation was constantly on heavy side and have returned them. Standard T1.2s are both bought used, so don’t know how many hours those clocked in before I got them. I also completaly changed my dacs and amps in the process of fine tuning my systems to get the standard T1.2 to my liking, I listened to black T1.2 on different set up to what I have now. It all just confirmed to me that final result is fully dependant on synergy of the whole chain, we can read into specs and numbers but in the end if it doesn't sound good to our ears, we keep on hunting...

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #3,597 of 3,911
I just bought my 4th or 5th set of T1.2s - I'm trying to learn my lesson and keep a set. The ones I just got are silver and quite a high serial number from 2020 and are the harshest, most sibilant ones I've owned.
I've attached a photo of the rear side of the pads and I wondered if they look original? I seem to remember them looking a little different, but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• 20210415_204702.jpg
    20210415_204702.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #3,598 of 3,911
I just bought my 4th or 5th set of T1.2s - I'm trying to learn my lesson and keep a set. The ones I just got are silver and quite a high serial number from 2020 and are the harshest, most sibilant ones I've owned.
I've attached a photo of the rear side of the pads and I wondered if they look original? I seem to remember them looking a little different, but I could be wrong.
That looks right on the pads to me. My T1.2 black editions pads look the same. My T1.3 pads look a little different as they are more stuffed. Are they brighter and less warm/present in the bass than the other pairs? If so that’s more of how my first T1.2 sounded.

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #3,599 of 3,911
I've read quite a few impressions where people have confirmed in A/B comparisons that the T1.2 Silver vs Black do in fact sound different form another. Black is a tad darker, smoother in the 5-7khz range and has slightly more emphasis on the bass compared to the silver. I am currently rocking the T1.2 black and really love my unit. It's SN is a bit over 46xxx.

I've also gone and purchased the Dekoni Elite Velour, Perforated Leather and Hybrid pads. I ended up sending the Hybrid pads back (they sounded just horrible) but kept the Velour and the Perf Leather. I actually pad roll between the stock, velour and perf leather .. all 3 are incredible and suit my needs depending on what "mood" I happen to be in at the time. Honestly, I own several ToTL cans.. MDR-Z1R, Arya, Ether 2, Ether Flow ... this T1 is somehow my favorite one out of the entire bunch. Pairs beautifully with the DX7 (original). Very beautiful and holographic sound/presentation to them.

Oh okay, glad to know it wasn’t just me despite being telling me I was wrong even though I have personally owned both the silver and black pairs just not side by side. I’m very fond of my T1.2 black, it’s very smooth and slightly dark and warm with a bit of a liquid sound to it. My T1.3 is darker and bassier but a tad drier with slightly better technicalities. I like them both a lot. Honestly to me something just sounds “right” about the T1 with long term ownership, this applies to both the T1.2 and T1.3. They’re not headphones that necessarily wow you but they also sound right and you feel dissatisfied with other headphones long term.

I got the black edition brand new. Not sure if they needed further breaking in, but had them running for few days nonstop, they kept opening up but the bass representation was constantly on heavy side and have returned them. Standard T1.2s are both bought used, so don’t know how many hours those clocked in before I got them. I also completaly changed my dacs and amps in the process of fine tuning my systems to get the standard T1.2 to my liking, I listened to black T1.2 on different set up to what I have now. It all just confirmed to me that final result is fully dependant on synergy of the whole chain, we can read into specs and numbers but in the end if it doesn't sound good to our ears, we keep on hunting...

They brighten up a little with use but not much. Ah okay. One of the amp/dacs I used was the same amp on both so I know it was more tied to the headphone. Yeah it really comes down to the ears, to me very few headphones satisfy me long term like a T1 which indicates they are doing something right imho. They do need good synergy to sound their best no question.

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #3,600 of 3,911
That looks right on the pads to me. My T1.2 black editions pads look the same. My T1.3 pads look a little different as they are more stuffed. Are they brighter and less warm/present in the bass than the other pairs? If so that’s more of how my first T1.2 sounded.
Thanks - that's exactly how they sound. My last T1s were also black ones and sounded much smoother. Seems like I should have kept them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back