New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #3,556 of 3,911
Just ordered a pair in silver. Coming off Focal Elegia, MDRZ7 Sony and Beyer DT1770 Pro recently. Will be using Schiit Asgard 3 4490 as my only desktop dac/amp for the foreseeable future. Lived with the Beyer 1770 Pro for awhile as my daily. Liked them alright but ultimately they are monitors. Using these for album listening, film watching and some gaming. Break in period length?

Hard to quantify the break-in period in absolute hours. I'd say a period of 5 to 6 weeks of listening was good for me with around 10 hours of listening per week. You could just play them overnight (8 to 12 hours per night) for 1 to 2 weeks if you're in a hurry.

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #3,557 of 3,911
I was wondering if anyone has ever compared the T1.2's to the Focal Clear's?
From what i read online it feels like the Focal Clear has more impact and slam in the bass region and some peaks in treble. Outside of that i can't really see a lot of differences between the two. Would the Focal be a clear upgrade or are they pretty similar?

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #3,558 of 3,911
I was wondering if anyone has ever compared the T1.2's to the Focal Clear's?
From what i read online it feels like the Focal Clear has more impact and slam in the bass region and some peaks in treble. Outside of that i can't really see a lot of differences between the two. Would the Focal be a clear upgrade or are they pretty similar?

They are worlds apart in sound signature (well mine are). It’s actually jarring switching back and forth between the two. After a night of listening to the T1.2 and switching to the Clear at the end of the night it’s an immediate upgrade detail. True to their name the Clear are exceptionally ”Clear”. But they also feel a little congested after the T1.2. I don’t notice that if I start with the Clear but switching it’s apparent.

People say the the Clears have slam in the bass but it’s not a bassy headphone, just fantastic dynamics. It’s also not just in the bass, Focals across the board just have amazing dynamics. Everything feels like it has a real excursion of air to give real impact, wether it’s a cymbal hit or a bass drum. I think this can also cause fatigue until you get used to it and why some people don’t gel with Focal headphones.

T1.2 is much warmer in the lower frequencies. Maybe a tad too warm but I’ve come to like it. More recessed in the mids. The Clears vocals are really front and centre compared to the T1.2.

Clear = Relatively flat with a slight warmth, high dynamics, smaller soundstage with closer vocals, detailed throughout.
T1.2 = Elevated bass making for a very warm low end, but lots of top end sparkle, recessed further away in the upper mid, fantastic imaging and just right soundstage.

They make a nice compliment to each other. Nothing at all alike. Clear is my favourite but I’ve been reaching for the T1.2 a lot lately for some reason. Enjoying it a lot more than when I first got it. Between the Clear, T1, and Grado Hemps (also been using a lot), I have 3 completely different sounds that all sound great,

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #3,559 of 3,911
Thank a lot for the extensive comparison. I learned a lot from this!

I already have a pair of Campfire Audio Cascades, would it be fair to say that these are similar to what the T1.2’s bring to the table. From what you are saying about them they should be pretty similar and then it would be a pretty easy decision to go for the Clear’s to complement the Cascade’s.

If you ever heard the Cascade’s ofcourse...

Thanks for your time to write this down!

Jan 2, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #3,560 of 3,911
Thank a lot for the extensive comparison. I learned a lot from this!

I already have a pair of Campfire Audio Cascades, would it be fair to say that these are similar to what the T1.2’s bring to the table. From what you are saying about them they should be pretty similar and then it would be a pretty easy decision to go for the Clear’s to complement the Cascade’s.

If you ever heard the Cascade’s ofcourse...

Thanks for your time to write this down!

Never heard the Cascades, so I can't really help there.

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #3,562 of 3,911
Just got mine in today. Presently thumping on my head. Using Asgard 3 with 4490 module.

Nice luxury feel and better looking in person for sure. Nice packaging and case but no frills. Case is a sueded version of lower models'. One cable 1/4 inch one set pads.

SQ quite impressed. My second Beyer HP that I just love. So far, my only HP that came even close was Sony MDRZ7 m1, which sadly I no longer have. I was looking for a replacement for those when I ordered these, seeing as the new version would be low impedance, it seemed a priority. Bigger drivers or higher impedance? It should be a thread. I can always get the Z7M2 later.

As for a detailed impression I will wait for these to break in and with other equip at some point. Also a better dac for this powerful amp. I am around 2:30 on high gain.

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #3,563 of 3,911
So I've had this headphone for a month now. It sounds great but I can't stand the treble peaks, it's basically unlistenable to my ears after more than 15 minutes for tracks other than jazz or vocals. I was having a major buyer remorse since I bought this at full price. Did some searching and found out about APO equalizer. I tuned it to the harman curve (using oratory1990's settings) and can't believe how fantastic it sounds now- it retained everything good about this headphones except the treble peaks. I will be keeping this headphone for a while. EQ is a game changer. This comes from someone who doesn't believe in EQing headphones before lol

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #3,564 of 3,911
So I've had this headphone for a month now. It sounds great but I can't stand the treble peaks, it's basically unlistenable to my ears after more than 15 minutes for tracks other than jazz or vocals. I was having a major buyer remorse since I bought this at full price. Did some searching and found out about APO equalizer. I tuned it to the harman curve (using oratory1990's settings) and can't believe how fantastic it sounds now- it retained everything good about this headphones except the treble peaks. I will be keeping this headphone for a while. EQ is a game changer. This comes from someone who doesn't believe in EQing headphones before lol
I'm using the same EQ setting as you, and I agree wholeheartedly with what you say. It really improves the headphones for me. I have always been distrustful of EQ before, but now I'm a convert. The Oratory1990 settings are very good. I'm using them now on all my headphones.

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #3,565 of 3,911
Any who could recommend a portable dac/amp for the phone or a dap that can make T1.2 justice?
Need something portable with battery for my couch.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #3,566 of 3,911
Any who could recommend a portable dac/amp for the phone or a dap that can make T1.2 justice?
Need something portable with battery for my couch.
I've read good things about the ifi micro black label. Will have the power for the t1.2 and have read its a good pairing with bright headphones if you want an amp that can add some warmth.

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #3,568 of 3,911
...with a fairly good audio chain configured in the best possible way, and most importantly for me, Dekoni Elite Velour earpads, I cannot imagine the sound being any better.

My DT1990 went from good to great with Dekoni velours.
My Amirons went from good to awesome with Dekoni velours.
My T1s will be here in a couple weeks and I have a pair of Dekoni velours waiting for them.

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #3,569 of 3,911
I am running the Beyerdynamic T1.2 from the iFi IESL and Cayin CS55A tube amp.
Absolutely love it!

Attachments

• ifi iesl cans vinyl.jpg
    ifi iesl cans vinyl.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210205_194316_resized(1).jpg
    20210205_194316_resized(1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210205_194322_resized.jpg
    20210205_194322_resized.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread