New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Apr 8, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #2,851 of 3,911
What a lovely headphone :)!! Have kept myself on the mid-fi side of headphones, slowly climbed upwards as most of us have. I just got a pair of T1 gen 2 for 1/3 of the new price in Norway, they basically mint condition almost not used at all. I have used DT880 some years ago and since the launch of the DT 1990 Pro used that one. The step from DT 880 to DT 1990 Pro was bigger than the step now up to T1, what I like the most is clearly the soundstage. Soundstage feel much more right, when I swap onto my studio speakers AB back and forth they give this very good depth and width thats very similar on the T1. No other phone ive tried has been this good really. Also its so liquid and smooth in the sound signature, the DT 1990 is clearly more shouty if thats the right word for it. Giving it some days but I cant find a reason to keep the DT 1990 Pro now, already bought pads twice since the A pads on the 1990 compress to much. Hope this is no problem, as space inside the T1 is bigger because of the angled drivers.

Also tubes and T1 gen2 is magic

Very nice indeed, I'm using the Espressivo MKII and it is such a good amp with high impedance dynamic headphones

Apr 8, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #2,852 of 3,911
Btw is it normal that the XLR cable from beyerdynamic is inside the package also? Was inside the package together with the 3.5mm cable. Far to long for my use, but the cables seems very high quality. Might sell the the 3m XLR one and get a custom 180cm instead, seems like they charge quite much on the beyer side for the cable.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #2,854 of 3,911
After 3 years, my T1.G2's headband leather is falling apart. Is it sold separately? Can I find it anywhere?

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #2,855 of 3,911
After 3 years, my T1.G2's headband leather is falling apart. Is it sold separately? Can I find it anywhere?

This also my problem. The sole distributor here is Saudi Arabia does not support the repair of T1. They only offer for DTs and other headphones.

I actually do not need new headphones, i just wanted the headband to be replaced.

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #2,856 of 3,911
Apr 11, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #2,857 of 3,911
Apr 11, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #2,859 of 3,911
What a lovely headphone :)!! Have kept myself on the mid-fi side of headphones, slowly climbed upwards as most of us have. I just got a pair of T1 gen 2 for 1/3 of the new price in Norway, they basically mint condition almost not used at all. I have used DT880 some years ago and since the launch of the DT 1990 Pro used that one. The step from DT 880 to DT 1990 Pro was bigger than the step now up to T1, what I like the most is clearly the soundstage. Soundstage feel much more right, when I swap onto my studio speakers AB back and forth they give this very good depth and width thats very similar on the T1. No other phone ive tried has been this good really. Also its so liquid and smooth in the sound signature, the DT 1990 is clearly more shouty if thats the right word for it. Giving it some days but I cant find a reason to keep the DT 1990 Pro now, already bought pads twice since the A pads on the 1990 compress to much. Hope this is no problem, as space inside the T1 is bigger because of the angled drivers.

Also tubes and T1 gen2 is magic
I have had the T1 gen2 for over a year now. It is an outstanding HP. When paired with a good tube amp and you have hours of listening pleasure. Congrats to you.

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #2,860 of 3,911
Sorry for this very noob question, but I really hope that you can help me with it:

The T1 sounds at the same sound level exactly the same on the iPhone and on the iPad. Of course, the iPad can have a higher volume level and the sound is somehow fuller… But if I connect the iPhone and the iPad for the T1 to the same external AMP, would be the sound quality between the iPhone and the iPad exactly the same? Or the iPad would sounds better as it has a higher volume level than the iPhone? I hope, you understand what I mean.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #2,861 of 3,911
Sorry for this very noob question, but I really hope that you can help me with it:

The T1 sounds at the same sound level exactly the same on the iPhone and on the iPad. Of course, the iPad can have a higher volume level and the sound is somehow fuller… But if I connect the iPhone and the iPad for the T1 to the same external AMP, would be the sound quality between the iPhone and the iPad exactly the same? Or the iPad would sounds better as it has a higher volume level than the iPhone? I hope, you understand what I mean.
Driving the T1's from a phone you're in no way hearing what these headphones have to offer. They sound they same because neither of them have enough driving power. I think every head-fier in this forum would recommend you get an amp and a DAC or a DAC/amp combo to power your T1's.

If you're using an external amp you'll need some kind of DAC to convert the signal to analog before you hear anything. At that point your iPhone or iPad will become the source for your DAC and the amp will provide the power. Here's the hard part; there are a wide variety of amps and DACs out here. You're going to have to choose a sound signature that works for you.

The T1's are great headphones. They are very musical when properly driven. I enjoy mine a lot. Let us know what amps and DACs you are considering. Good luck!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #2,862 of 3,911

Although apple devices are decent in sonic output, no way they can reveal the true potential of T1. I have Chord mojo, Audeze Deckard Dac/Amp, Beyerdynamic A2 amp, Icon audio HP8 mk2 tube amp and X-Sabre dac, If you want to start with inexpensive setup, I would recommend you trying some used Chord Mojo or Audeze Deckard.

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #2,863 of 3,911

I would recommend getting an amplifier for the T1 to get enough power. I think a DAC is optional though. The iphone/ipad headphone output or the lightning dongle feeding the amp will be clean enough.

Apr 12, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #2,864 of 3,911
Driving the T1's from a phone you're in no way hearing what these headphones have to offer. They sound they same because neither of them have enough driving power. I think every head-fier in this forum would recommend you get and amp and a DAC or a DAC/amp combo to power your T1's.

If you're using an external amp you'll need some kind of DAC to convert the signal to analog before you hear anything. At that point your iPhone or iPad will become the source for your DAC and the amp will provide the power. Here's the hard part; there are a wide variety of amps and DACs out here. You're going to have to choose a sound signature that works for you.

The T1's are great headphones. They are very musical when properly driven. I enjoy mine a lot. Let us know what amps and DACs you are considering. Good luck!
+1
The T1’s need plenty of power. They simply cannot be driven adequately by using a phone/tablet - their 600ohm impedance prevents the T1’s sounding even close to their best.

Apr 12, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #2,865 of 3,911

As has already been said in the last few posts, look for a decent DAC/headphone amplifier to drive the T1’s adequately.
If you insist on sticking with an iPhone/iPad as a source, consider the Beyerdynamic Impacto Universal. Against all odds, it works a treat with an iDevice and sounds great driving the T1’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back