New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Mar 2, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #2,177 of 3,924
I have LD2/2 and again it's a great amp for it's price. I think I saw it at less than £100 somewhere!
Feliks-Audio Elise is wonderful with T1, but it's a lot more expensive. As you say all very subjective.:)

A Cam-Jam is the best way to try these all out if they are available. I may be able to get to MK, but I'm almost certainly going to London in July.:beyersmile:

The MK meet is not a canjam as such, more of a traditional enthusiast get together. Check out the thread in my sig, There will be a quiet room for auditioning gear as well, should be a good meet.

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #2,178 of 3,924
The MK meet is not a canjam as such, more of a traditional enthusiast get together. Check out the thread in my sig, There will be a quiet room for auditioning gear as well, should be a good meet.

Thanks .
I heard about it from hypnos1 and very much hope to come.
Cheers.

PS. Just been to the info thread. Looks great!

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #2,181 of 3,924
Still wondering about amplifier power and output impedance. The good thing about the Chord Mojo is that you can tell the maximum output voltage based on the colour of the volume buttons, so I can see that I don't really go above 1.9v. Well below what the Mojo can output.

The Mojo has a very low output impedance of 0.075 ohms, so out of curiosity I made an adaptor with 100 ohm resistors in series with the output. I chose 100 ohms, as that's the value used by the Beyerdynamic A 2 and A 20. There's an interesting article on Innerfidelity where this is discussed:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musings-headphone-amplifier-output-impedance#0KblQr4HySBiu0dX.97

In the simplest sense, together with the headphones' impedance, this acts as a voltage divider; the headphones will get a relatively higher voltage where their impedance is higher. This should mean more bass and less treble. To me the difference is almost imperceptible. I'll do some more listening though, and maybe try some higher value resistors.

-Mark.

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #2,183 of 3,924
Subjective post alert!
I haven't heard Focal Utopia. I own Elear, and extrapolating from that, I'm not convinced that it is the best headphone in the world. Honestly,I don't believe that there is such a thing, but I'm tired of that phrase thrown away for HD800, HD800S, and now Utopia and I'm a bit pissed off. So yes I THINK BEYERDYNAMIC T1.2 IS THE BEST HEADPHONE IN THE WORLD :))) Yep. I believe it. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #2,184 of 3,924
Ha!! There is always something "different"....but not always "better".....

I just got a Schitt Vahalla 2 to try with my new T1's 2nd gen...

I have a Bottlehead Crack (w/speedball) and it does work well with these T1's (and my T90s..but not so well with my DT1350's, 80 ohm).

I looked for an affordable amp that had the most amount of power available at the higher impedances, the Vahalla 2 fits this bill very nicely.

Most amps are looking at megawatts at the lower impedances now....dsp's, cell phones etc...but the V2 has 800mw RMS at 300 ohms and about half that at 600 ohms.

With the Bottlehead you have to turn the volume up 3/4 or so whereas the V2 is only cranked up to 1/3....now the V2 has two gain settings and two output impedances associated here as well.

After the amp is warmed up (an hour or so) there is the magical holographic experience most of us look for....this is on high gain. WIth well recorded material its indeed really, really good...compared to other good headphones, the T1's t me are right up there with the best of them.

The Bottlehead and V2 are both OTL different designs for sure, and the presentation is indeed different. the BH is a wonderful musical presentation but is a bit recessed compared to the V2. The V2 its like your in the front row seat and the BH your 10 roes back IMO.

Depending on the music they both are really great.

One of the good side affects of the V2 is the DT1350s on low gain work very, very well with this amp....amazingly good.

So if your looking for the T1's, and don't do DIY (Bottlehead) the V2 is indeed a great match that will make you appreciate your T1's!!

Alex

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,185 of 3,924
  Ha!! There is always something "different"....but not always "better".....

I just got a Schitt Vahalla 2 to try with my new T1's 2nd gen...

I have a Bottlehead Crack (w/speedball) and it does work well with these T1's (and my T90s..but not so well with my DT1350's, 80 ohm).

I looked for an affordable amp that had the most amount of power available at the higher impedances, the Vahalla 2 fits this bill very nicely.

Most amps are looking at megawatts at the lower impedances now....dsp's, cell phones etc...but the V2 has 800mw RMS at 300 ohms and about half that at 600 ohms.

With the Bottlehead you have to turn the volume up 3/4 or so whereas the V2 is only cranked up to 1/3....now the V2 has two gain settings and two output impedances associated here as well.

After the amp is warmed up (an hour or so) there is the magical holographic experience most of us look for....this is on high gain. WIth well recorded material its indeed reallt, really good...compared to other good headphones, the T1's t me are right up there with the best of them.

The Bottlehead and V2 are both OTL different designs for sure, and the presentation is indeed different. the BH is a wonderful musical presentation but is a bit recessed compared to the V2. The V2 its like your in the front row seat and the BH your 10 roes back IMO.

Depending on the music they both are really great.

One of the good side affects of the V2 is the DT1350s on low gain work very, very well with this amp....amazingly good.

So if your looking for the T1's, and don't do DIY (Bottlehead) the V2 is indeed a great match that will make you appreciate your T1's!!

Alex

That's very helpful. Thanks.
What tubes are you using in V2?

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2,186 of 3,924
Hmm. Thanks for that. I was thinking of buying a tube amp. (Actually I always go with the most transparent equipment, but I'm just curious about how they sound.)
At $349 V2 is  just there in my price range. Do you recommend them to a guy who has no idea how a tube amp sounds like? 

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #2,187 of 3,924
The tubes I have in the Vahalla2 are the NOS tubes schitt ships with them. I asked Schitt today if they were indeed NOS and they indicated yes they are but not mega-buck NOS. Take this as a grain of salt. I have three tube amps and many NOS tubes, the tubes dont make a whole lot of diffrences unless they are going soft or have an issue with noisey heater, internal parts, resonance or microphonics, pretty much all of them sound pretty good....the stock tubes for 99% of folks will do just fine...if u have money to throw at the wall knock your self out and get the oldest, longest strange , name with glowing orange labels!!! (LOL) and let us know how it improves your experience!! (of course IMO here)...

I have been born and raised with vacuum tubes....from 1955 forward. The circuit they are in are the real secret sauce..and the V2 and Bottlehead have this down pretty well.

For a a first tube amp, with high impedance cans the Vahalla 2 will fill the bill nicely. Its less tubey that other tube amps, more accurate to me, less "veil".....the Bottlehead will do as well but its a DIY kit and you have to put together, solder, cut wire, do some woodworking on the cabinet.

I have both and both are good, the V2 seems to be able to drive them more so than the Crack and as I have stated before the soundstage to me is very different.

The Vahalla 2 with rock music, like the Doors and stuff....the drum whacks will knock your head off!!! Its that good, female voice is superb....this is with the T1's so with other headphones your experience will differ.

The important thing here is the V2 OTL is really made for the higher impedance cans and works so very well.....as well with lower impedance cans on a scale of diminishing returns as the impedance lowers....look at the power available down low..there are better options out there for them.

Spend your $$$ on the headphones, dac, amp and then maybe ...tubes!!

Alex

Note: for the comment about not knowing what a tube amp is or sounds like, dont worry about that!! The V2 is a great tube amp, to me done nicely. Enjoy.

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #2,190 of 3,924
Fairly recently I did a write which involved the T1v2 in the Questyle cma800 thread.  I was looking for what was the best synergy between headphone and that specific amp.  I listened to about 7 headphones in total. Long story short I really loved the T1v2 with it, and called it the "sleeper hit".  Anyone out there with the T1v2 try and check that amp out. Currently using the T1v2 with the Questlye CMA600i and getting similar results. Very clean yet musical sound. I really dig it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back