New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jul 15, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #1,621 of 3,911
Right on time for the IFA trade show in Berlin we complete our professional headphone portfolio
with an open-back flagship model:

The DT 1990 PRO.

As high end reference headphones the DT 1990 PROs take their place alongside
the closed DT 1770 PRO in the beyerdynamic professional line.

The DT 1990 PRO reference headphones combine these decades of expertise
in headphone technology with the latest Tesla driver technology in an open-back design.

Together with an ingenious open-back design, the high-resolution Tesla drivers ensure a wide,
dynamic and extremely natural stereo image. Designed for professionals, the DT 1990 PROs
are the perfect headphones for ambitious listening, mixing and mastering.

The DT 1990 PRO is having its premiere during the IFA in Berlin, from the 2nd to 7th September 2016.

color]

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #1,622 of 3,911
Looking for a solid state amp recommends for the t1. 2 from experienced t1 users. I have a gen 1 modi/Magni right. I would like to upgrade the Magni to something that lets the t1 shine a bit more, for under $700. Anything that comes to mind? I would go for an amp/dac combo for less than $1000 if that fit the bill better.

My Crack and Modi 2 Uber come under $1k. The Crack is quite affordable, even after modding with the Speedball addon; the choke and film caps further sweeten the deal. The modded Crack/M2U paired with a T1 is absolute magic.

If soldering isn't your cup of tea, I highly recommend the Asgard 2. From what I've researched, there isn't an audible difference between the Modi 2 Uber and the Bifrost. Your money would be better spent on the amp, source, and cans.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #1,623 of 3,911
Thanks for the recommends. I understand violectric is a warm amp. The mangi I use now is neutral or north of neutral and not sure I would want to go any warmer with the t1. I have heard audio Gd house sound is neutral, anyone have experience with something like the NFB 29H and the t1.2?

Jul 15, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,624 of 3,911
Thanks for the recommends. I understand violectric is a warm amp. The mangi I use now is neutral or north of neutral and not sure I would want to go any warmer with the t1. I have heard audio Gd house sound is neutral, anyone have experience with something like the NFB 29H and the t1.2?

The Asgard 2 is a neutralish amplifier, slightly warmer (less splashy) than the Magni. It works very well with my T1.1
Had the Modi 2 Uber and the Bifrost 4490 at the same time. The Bifrost is smoother in the upper midrange, a little bit warmer, more layered in the sub-bass and sounds wider. Modi 2 Uber appeared more intimate and energetic by comparison.
Now there's an upgraded Modi 2 Uber using the 4490 chip, based on what I've read the difference is still there but Modi 2 Uber 4490 is now closer to Bifrost 4490 in overall tuning. If you have the money, Bifrost 4490 is the better DAC and it's upgradable. If not, Magni 2 Uber is a solid pick and it offers great value. One thing that should be said is that Bifrost is more picky with USB ports, if you don't have a high grade laptop it can force you to get something else in order to make it work (USB HUB or Wyrd, etc...)

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #1,625 of 3,911

The Asgard 2 is a neutralish amplifier, slightly warmer (less splashy) than the Magni. It works very well with my T1.1
Had the Modi 2 Uber and the Bifrost 4490 at the same time. The Bifrost is smoother in the upper midrange, a little bit warmer, more layered in the sub-bass and sounds wider. Modi 2 Uber appeared more intimate and energetic by comparison.
Now there's an upgraded Modi 2 Uber using the 4490 chip, based on what I've read the difference is still there but Modi 2 Uber 4490 is now closer to Bifrost 4490 in overall tuning. If you have the money, Bifrost 4490 is the better DAC and it's upgradable. If not, Magni 2 Uber is a solid pick and it offers great value. One thing that should be said is that Bifrost is more picky with USB ports, if you don't have a high grade laptop it can force you to get something else in order to make it work (USB HUB or Wyrd, etc...)

Yes, I have been eyeballing the Asgard 2. Is it a good step up from the magni 1 though? If not, I would rather save my pennies and go more expensive. I could upgrade from modi1/magni1 to modi2uber/asgard2 for a relatively cheap amount. Would significant gains be there with the t1.2 you figure?

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,626 of 3,911
  Yes, I have been eyeballing the Asgard 2. Is it a good step up from the magni 1 though? If not, I would rather save my pennies and go more expensive. I could upgrade from modi1/magni1 to modi2uber/asgard2 for a relatively cheap amount. Would significant gains be there with the t1.2 you figure?

Without going the hyperbole route, and having owned both the Magni and the Asgard 2 at the same time, I thought the Asgard 2 was slightly better: better tonality, more mid-centric and more organic as a result, slightly improved soundstage as well. Both measured ruler flat.

The difference was there, but it's subtle. I can understand if someone is not able to tell them apart. The Magni is a well engineered SS amp, and so is the Asgard 2, differences among quality SS amps are not that big.

Big step up? In the big scheme of things, no.
Ragnarok might be a big step up over the Magni, and even then some people would disagree.

It's hard to say if it will be significant to you because significant is purely subjective.
I tend to think this way: if you have the money, and want something that's a bit better, then why not? It would apply to headphones as well.
HD800 is not much more enjoyable than DT880 Pro, sometimes DT880 Pro is more enjoyable.
I've bought HD800 and would do it again because it's nice and brings some new subtleties to the table (not because it's a lot better and justifies the much higher price tag)

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #1,627 of 3,911
  Without going the hyperbole route, and having owned both the Magni and the Asgard 2 at the same time, I thought the Asgard 2 was slightly better: better tonality, more mid-centric and more organic as a result, slightly improved soundstage as well. Both measured ruler flat.

The difference was there, but it's subtle. I can understand if someone is not able to tell them apart. The Magni is a well engineered SS amp, and so is the Asgard 2, differences among quality SS amps are not that big.

Big step up? In the big scheme of things, no.
Ragnarok might be a big step up over the Magni, and even then some people would disagree.

It's hard to say if it will be significant to you because significant is purely subjective.
I tend to think this way: if you have the money, and want something that's a bit better, then why not? It would apply to headphones as well.
HD800 is not much more enjoyable than DT880 Pro, sometimes DT880 Pro is more enjoyable.
I've bought HD800 and would do it again because it's nice and brings some new subtleties to the table (not because it's a lot better and justifies the much higher price tag)

Fair enough, thanks for your thoughts.

I have heard the A20 is very nice with the t1.2. I would like to go that route, and the t1.2 is my primary can, but it would not work well with my LCD2. That being said, I don't use my LCD2 very much anymore so I could also switch back to the magni if I feel the need for the audeze sound....might just pop for the A20 lol.

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #1,629 of 3,911
Very much enjoying my new T1.2. Proper impressions will take more time, but at this point I think these are highly underrated among totl headphones.

They seem super easy to drive for a 600 Ohm headphone. I am at less than a quarter on my magni 1! However, I find these sound outstanding at low volume so I am able to turn it down more than usual. Much, much easier to drive than my dt880 600.

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #1,630 of 3,911
  Very much enjoying my new T1.2. Proper impressions will take more time, but at this point I think these are highly underrated among totl headphones.

They seem super easy to drive for a 600 Ohm headphone. I am at less than a quarter on my magni 1! However, I find these sound outstanding at low volume so I am able to turn it down more than usual. Much, much easier to drive than my dt880 600.

I agree. I've lost interest in checking out any other open back headphones. For me the comfort and sound quality of these is all I can ever imagine needing. I thought the concept of 'end game' was nonsense in this hobby but at my age my hearing isn't going to improve so I'm sticking 
L3000.gif

While they are fairly easy to drive I feel they benefit from a bit of headroom in an amp. I'm using them with a Cavalli Carbon and I think it's a great pairing. I think ordering of the second Carbon batch is closed but secondhand prices on the first batch may get more sensible and used in balanced mode the first batch is just as good.

Jul 17, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #1,631 of 3,911

I agree. I've lost interest in checking out any other open back headphones. For me the comfort and sound quality of these is all I can ever imagine needing. I thought the concept of 'end game' was nonsense in this hobby but at my age my hearing isn't going to improve so I'm sticking 
L3000.gif

While they are fairly easy to drive I feel they benefit from a bit of headroom in an amp. I'm using them with a Cavalli Carbon and I think it's a great pairing. I think ordering of the second Carbon batch is closed but secondhand prices on the first batch may get more sensible and used in balanced mode the first batch is just as good.

Thought so too, then I heard the SR009.  Duly impressed.  
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back