New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
May 22, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #1,411 of 3,911
My Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Generation and this shot was taken while i was comparing it side by side with Shure SRH 1840.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That picture certainly captures the airiness 
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #1,412 of 3,911
At first i thought i still like the forward presentation of the 1840 but then the more i listen the 1840 sounds more compressed.

For me the T1.2 sounded a bit more laid back than the 1840 but provides far more soundstage and imaging.

May 26, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #1,413 of 3,911
 Another concern from me regarding T1's durability. 

Does a sudden loud blast sound at almost maximum volume from amplifier (Lehmann linear) will damage T1?

I was accidently put my lehmann linear into almost maximum level, and then start playing the music. I know the T1 power handling capacity is 300mW while my lehmann output power is 200mW/300 ohm or 9V Veff for 135mW at 600 Ohms or check this link. (https://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/assets/_managed/product/files/EN_manual_Linear_2011.pdf)

My question is:  if the amplifier output power is under T1's handling capacity, even though, because music pieces differ, some music is really loud itself and cannot be tolerated by the ear (e.g. EDM), will it fry the headphone voice coil or damage to the transducer itself by any chance?

I also tried some gentle jazz piece with a solid maximum level, I found T1's sound fine but just too loud for my ear. I know I should avoid those listening volume for sure regarding my hearing but just wondering whether it will also cause any physical damage to T1?

Any help would be appreciated,
Louis

May 26, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #1,414 of 3,911
Hi Louisxiawei!

If that also happenede to me definitely, i will also be concerned but as a general statement if there is nothing abnormal on the sound itself, it is fine. At the maximum volume point, i think the driver will sustain damage if played always at high volumes.

As long as you are not listening at very high volumes if not maximum the T1 will be just be fine. :)

May 26, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #1,415 of 3,911
 Another concern from me regarding T1's durability. 

Does a sudden loud blast sound at almost maximum volume from amplifier (Lehmann linear) will damage T1?

I was accidently put my lehmann linear into almost maximum level, and then start playing the music. I know the T1 power handling capacity is 300mW while my lehmann output power is 200mW/300 ohm or 9V Veff for 135mW at 600 Ohms or check this link. (https://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/assets/_managed/product/files/EN_manual_Linear_2011.pdf)

My question is:  if the amplifier output power is under T1's handling capacity, even though, because music pieces differ, some music is really loud itself and cannot be tolerated by the ear (e.g. EDM), will it fry the headphone voice coil or damage to the transducer itself by any chance?

I also tried some gentle jazz piece with a solid maximum level, I found T1's sound fine but just too loud for my ear. I know I should avoid those listening volume for sure regarding my hearing but just wondering whether it will also cause any physical damage to T1?

Any help would be appreciated,
Louis
Everything should be fine. T1 can handle max 300mW for some time, and if power of amp is something like 150 or 200 i think even at maximum amp wolume you should be fine. Even for prolonged usage. There is a REASON why every headphones or speakers have power rating...

May 26, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #1,416 of 3,911
Aloha Sportsfans!

I just pulled the trigger on a T1.2 and HD650. I'm looking for an "upgrade" to my beloved DT990/600 'phones and I feel like I'm chasing the dragon here!

I've spent the last couple of weeks with both HE-440i and 560; the 440i is going back and I'm on the fence about the 560. The 440i sounded muffled to me and the 560 sounds a lot more refined than the 990. If I send them back, it'll be because I despise how they feel. Clamping force is insane, the pads are itchy, and the strap gives me a hotspot on my head! I know there's a break-in period, but still. They do, however, sound fantastic with everything from blues (Joe Bonamassa - Live at the Vienna Opera House) to symphonic metal (anything by Nightwish). I'm really eager to hear how the T1 and HD650 measure up and, since I got a deal on the Sennheisers, I may even do the modifications for another comparison.

I actually haven't been long in the headphone arena. I started with the DT990 when I was overseas in 2012, paired with the original Asgard amp and a little Fiio DAC. I've now built a modified Crack (Speedball, choke, PSU film bypass cap, film output caps, volume pot) and use the Modi 2 Uber for my DAC. The 990s shine with this setup, much like my favorite Klipsch loudspeakers (which is probably why I like the 990). I'm in the middle of building a phono preamp with the PCBs from Elliott Sound Products. The HE-560s are fed from a M2U/Asgard 2 setup since it isn't fair to them to plug 'em into the Crack.

Can't wait to geek out with these new cans and see how they're different!

May 27, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #1,417 of 3,911
Thanks for the advice. Their estimated delivery is on the 11th, if it takes significantly longer then I'll get a refund. I paid with PayPal so it should be straight forward. If they do turn up I'll call Beyerdynamic straight away and confirm they are genuine. Either way, I'll leave a post here for anyone else considering using this company.

Did you get your headphones?

May 27, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #1,418 of 3,911
To Alypius:

First of all, nice to see another Nightwish fan here. Being a huge fan myself, since Oceanborn album. (Also gotta support fellow Finns)
I currently own both the HD650 and the T1 gen2. Honestly, i feel that the T1 is overall more refined. It has better resolution and is much more detailed, than HD650. BUT, i much prefer the 650 because it's sound signature fits me better. It's just laidback nice sound that doesn't offend you no matter what. T1 Treble can really bite, given the wrong track.

May 27, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #1,423 of 3,911
  Then, what a bargain at least cheapest one you can get in Europe. Have you asked the seller why the price is so competitive?

It's not that much cheaper, not compared to the price here in Denmark anyway. I just believe that this seller is splitting the seller mark up with us customers.

The total price for these  from temptation hifi including shipping cost and bad exchange rate via paypal is around 875 euros. Here in Denmark the retail price for the T1 2nd edition is 925 euros, including shipping (here in Denmark). Not much difference.

When I buy a pair again it will be from the local Danish seller...

May 27, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #1,424 of 3,911
Congratulations  :)  So apparently Beyerdynamics has started production of the T1 2nd edition again  :wink:  (When they could not deliver the pair I bought from them I was told it was because these were no longer produced)... Funny...
I know, it was partially because of your experience that I was reluctant to sing their praises after the headphones turned up. Despite it going well, I still don't want to publicly promote them.

May 28, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #1,425 of 3,911
Heh thanks! I've been splitting my time between Nightwish and Delain.

The T1 and 650 should arrive on Tuesday, so I'll be spending the rest of the week brewing beer and extensive A/B tests!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back