New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Apr 14, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #1,291 of 3,911
  I own the iDAC 2 + iPurifier 2 and I also have the iCAN SE on review loan from ifi, so will post some impressions with the T1.2 on that... but later, now its time for bed....

PS: I have also ordered the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, but still 4-5 months until i get it... so cant say what the T1.2 sounds like with it until later in the year

Waiting for your impressions.

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #1,293 of 3,911

I am only answering because I ran your specific question about how they sound back-to-back. Version 1s were fine, and had I never heard the version 2s, I would have been happy with them, and merely noted that certain tracks would be "iffy" because of strident highs. Once I got the version 2s, I knew I was going to keep them even though I didn't really think they would warrant the upgrade initially....

So, my SUGGESTION is to see if you can get the version 2s. If you can meet-up with one of us in your area and do a side-by-side, then that is your best bet. If not, I'd feel better with the version 2s rather than constantly wonder "What if I had just gotten the new ones?"

That said, if you search back through the threads, you'll find a number of people who say that the version 1 was perfect, and the version 2 "ruins the sound", or the like. If I were a GRADO fan, I might be inclined to agree. But for me, the version 2 is a clear improvement.

That said, I am a "Solid State Listener", and while I did audition both with a iTUBE valve stage in one of multiple audio chains, I still preferred the version 2 personally. My wife could only tell a difference with certain tracks though.

Examples of breadth of DAC/AMP equipment they were auditioned with. (So take my opinions with a grain of salt)

Dell XPS 8500 & 8900 towers (onboard audio)
HP m8120n HTPC (onboard audio)
Apple iPhone 4s, 5, & 6 / iPad gen1, Air, & Pro
FIIO e17 DAC/AMP
IBASSO DX90 straight through
iFi iDSD Micro
iFi iCAN Micro
iFi iCAN SE Micro
iFi iTube valve/tube stage via IDSD, iCAN, & iCAN SE as well as ASGARD2 & ONKYO TX-NR646
Schiit Audio ASGARD2
ONKYO TX-NR646

The iPurifier2 was used when USB was employed, and I used Forza Audio Works custom Coaxial and custom high-gauge RCA cables for all other connections.

Music: Alan Parsons to Zepplin, Beethoven to Wagner, Asia to Yaz, Coltrane to Young. (In other words, I listen to just about everything...)

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #1,294 of 3,911
Guys.. Need your advice.

If I can get a used T1 gen1 for USD 540 OR a new T1 gen2 for USD 960, which one should I get??
FYI my amp is a bottlehead crack w/o speedball and I cant stand piercing trebles. I dont mind clarity (which is Beyer's strong suit) but I cannot stand harsh trebles

Depends on the kind of person you are. I really like both, but I'm the kind that will always be wondering what I'm missing and eventually end up with the gen 2 (which I prefer). But if you're not that kind of person and will happily go on with the gen 1, then go that way. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #1,295 of 3,911
Guys.. Need your advice.

If I can get a used T1 gen1 for USD 540 OR a new T1 gen2 for USD 960, which one should I get??
FYI my amp is a bottlehead crack w/o speedball and I cant stand piercing trebles. I dont mind clarity (which is Beyer's strong suit) but I cannot stand harsh trebles

If you're sensitive to treble then I would recommend gen 2. I own the gen 1 and I find that it's often a bit too bright and sometimes (on less-than-great recordings) it can be a bit piercing. I heard the gen 2 at the CanJam SoCal and much prefer gen 2. In my opinion it's more pleasant and musical while still clear-sounding. It's a beyerdynamic after all.

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #1,297 of 3,911
If you're sensitive to treble then I would recommend gen 2. I own the gen 1 and I find that it's often a bit too bright and sometimes (on less-than-great recordings) it can be a bit piercing. I heard the gen 2 at the CanJam SoCal and much prefer gen 2. In my opinion it's more pleasant and musical while still clear-sounding. It's a beyerdynamic after all.

This. Gen 2 is less bright, slightly fuller sounding with more bass. It's the gen 1 with a meatier sound whilst still offering superb clarity. I'm surprised it isn't mentioned in the same breath as HD800s, ether c, etc, etc. Truly excellent headphone.

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #1,299 of 3,911

Waiting for your impressions.

I did a couple of songs with the T1.2 on the Micro iCAN SE and the Beyerdynamic A20 amp. I think the A20 is the better amp for the T1.2. The sound was more coherent, absolutely strain free and the the A20 had the perfect grip on the T1.2. You can listen to this combination for hours and you get totally immersed in music. With the iCAN SE I experienced a somewhat more in our face sound which sometimes became to much and you feel like you have to take a break from listening. On the other hand the iCAN SA is suited for more headphones due to its low output resistance and gain switch, but the T1.2 seems to like the in house amps much more...

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #1,300 of 3,911
Gen 1 v Gen 2:

I have had both.

Both great headphones and two factors to consider:

a.  cost savings
b.  do you have kids?

The detachable cable meant a lot to me with grandchildren.  It was crucial.  After months of ownership, my toddler grandson caused me to jump up and as I did, I stepped on the cable of the T1.2 without damage. 

phew.  

PS:  The Beyerdynamic A20 amp with T1 and T1.2 = beautiful.   

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #1,301 of 3,911
Gen 1 v Gen 2:

I have had both.

Both great headphones and two factors to consider:

a.  cost savings
b.  do you have kids?

The detachable cable meant a lot to me with grandchildren.  It was crucial.  After months of ownership, my toddler grandson caused me to jump up and as I did, I stepped on the cable of the T1.2 without damage. 

phew.  

PS:  The Beyerdynamic A20 amp with T1 and T1.2 = beautiful.   
Yeah, i completely agree. Even thou i didn't thought DT990 or HD650 was impressive with A20... T1 on the other hand is sooo much better paired with A20 Than Dt990 or HD650 ever was!!! I dont see any big shortcomings of A20 and T1 combo...

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #1,302 of 3,911
Yeah, i completely agree. Even thou i didn't thought DT990 or HD650 was impressive with A20... T1 on the other hand is sooo much better paired with A20 Than Dt990 or HD650 ever was!!! I dont see any big shortcomings of A20 and T1 combo...

I also agree with Mr. Hyatt.  Just for us, the amendment is, "Do you have kittens?" and for me, it is A LOT less worrisome to listen on my version 2s as I don't have to worry so much about them deciding to chomp on the cable if I get up to answer the phone or the door and leave the headphone cable dangling from the amp....  (Stupid phone!  NO! I don't want to hear about solar panels for my house for the 100th time!)  LOL

I truly love both versions out of the iCAN SE, but to be fair, I've never auditioned the Beyerdynamic amps, so I am not disagreeing.  Just offering feedback that I am QUITE happy with the setup I have now.  I like (In order) iCAN --> ASGARD 2 --> iCAN SE.  The iDSD Micro I clearly prefer on the version 2s.   

@Arniesb - I can completely see your point about the HD650 as both my wife and I considered the T1 (Both versions) to be in another class altogether.  THe only time we preferred the HD650 sound was when it came to Blues or slow-tempoed Jazz.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #1,303 of 3,911
  Actually T1 V2 with Phonitor 2 - never ever before heard such a crystal clear, natural sound...

Hugely impressed.

gs1000.gif

Awesome.

I once owned a DT 880 600ohm version with an SPL Auditor and I had that same experience. The control over the drivers the Auditor had was amazing. I sometimes wish I had never sold that pairing!

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #1,304 of 3,911
  Now that you're here hanselmann, I have a question for you... 
smily_headphones1.gif

I just bought an IBasso - DX80 DAP and I'm hoping that it will work well with the T1 - 2 generation, even though they are 600 ohm. I still have not purchased the T1's, but they are at the very top of my list and I expect to buy a pair within the next few weeks.

It would be nice to get your input on the DX80's ability to drive them? Here you have the specs, as you can see the DX80 has quite a good amp section for a DAP and can deliver good voltage swing / power.

http://ibasso.com/cp_xq_dy.php?id=304#page8

Thank you so much for your input hanselmann

Hello Morten,
that should work with your iBasso DX80 DAP. Will reach roughtly 113 dB SPL, which is already quiet loud.

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,305 of 3,911

Hello Morten,
that should work with your iBasso DX80 DAP. Will reach roughtly 113 dB SPL, which is already quiet loud.

With older more dynamic, older recordings the T1 would be rather quiet by my standards. I tried my DT 880 600ohm out of a FiiO E12 on high gain at full, and with older music it was certainly quiet. I guess it depends on our preferred playback volume and the material as much as it does on the amp and headphone. Still, I take your point that with contemporary recordings the quality and volume of playback with the DX80 should satisfy most listeners. When I owned the Auditor and used the 880 I frequently had the amp close to maximum with older recordings and typically well past noon for newer recordings, but I do think the 880 is less efficient than the T1 if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back