New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Aug 14, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #91 of 3,911
Quote:
  I like the new detachable cables on the v2 model. I always griped on beyer headphones having nondetachable cables.

Do the new cables have a locking mechanism at the headphone end or are they simply held in by grip. I couldn't see that clearly from the pictures a few pages back.

They have a very simple, but reliable locking-mechnism:
There is a small rim at the connection plugs on the headphone side and the sockets have a kind-of-rubber part, where this rim clicks in. It's not truly a locking mechanism in the very proper sense, but gives the cables a  firm connection and a defined pull-off force not only determined by the connector components alone.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #92 of 3,911

I think he was talking about 2 3-pin XLR connectors, which are sometimes used for balanced operation (as with the Abyss). Personally I prefer 4-pin and live happily with single ended... but thats another story :wink:

And yes: ordered. Will take till September though...

The case looks very nice indeed. Might get some to replace the other cases I use for transport protection.

Thanks about the case. The aluminium box was nice, yes. But at the same time, for people that we actually lookong for a TRANSPORT solution, it wasn't really helpful. For storage and showcasing it was good, but for transport? On the product page, you can see, which other hedphones fit in the new case. (no bis surprise for a beyer pro, which...)

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #93 of 3,911

The new case has a built-in handle. The outer shells have cavities, where your hand snuggles in nicely. It's at the hinge. Works nicely.

Klaus, thank you for your response. Sounds good to me.

Thanks about the case. The aluminium box was nice, yes. But at the same time, for people that we actually lookong for a TRANSPORT solution, it wasn't really helpful. For storage and showcasing it was good, but for transport? On the product page, you can see, which other hedphones fit in the new case. (no bis surprise for a beyer pro, which...)

I do have a lot of Beyerdynamic cans (some might say even too many I guess), but I also used Beyer cases (the old soft variant) to transport other headphones such as the TH900. So I'll take a look at it as soon as my new T1 arrives and I guess I'll get more cases soon after...

The removable cables are an interesting new direction... not that I saw the need to replace the old T1 cable, but I did modify it by cutting and inserting an XL4 male/female pair. Whats more important to me: I can now remove it for transport or storage. Its a nice touch that you chose to put the connector off-center and give it an angle. And used a standard connector.

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #95 of 3,911
  As I understand it, it's not at standard mini jack connector, but a Beyer proprietary mini jack connector. Or will a standard mini jack connector fit in the headphone?

Looking at the photos I'd say its a standard 3,5mm jack, just very slim due to the additional holding ring @hanselmann mentioned above. I expect a situation similar to the M-100, i.e. slim third party connectors should fit.

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #96 of 3,911
It's indeed a standard mini jack. So you could pick up some HM5 cables and use those instead of the thicker beyer cables. This is a big step up for the T1 to me. The stock cable is great, but is cumbersome and unwieldy. This opens up the possibility of easy cable swapping and the use of balanced and unbalanced cables freely. Now there's no worry about voiding out your warranty. 

Quote:
Looking at the photos I'd say its a standard 3,5mm jack, just very slim due to the additional holding ring @hanselmann mentioned above. I expect a situation similar to the M-100, i.e. slim third party connectors should fit.

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #98 of 3,911
  Hello everybody,

I am Klaus, 1 of 4 product managers for headphones at beyerdynamic and the responsible one for the T 1.
Happy to see, that you like what we did. Shipping from our Heilbronn (Germany) factory has started yesterday.

Let me give you a little background info:
Yes, we changed the sound a bit, making it slightly more even in the treble and giving it some extra dBs in the low-mids and bass - broadrange, not just deep end. The T 1 is still far from being a bass-heavy, let alone muddy headphone. Remember: it's a beyer, so you treble and transparence -geeks will still be VERY happy with it. We just found, that tuning it to this direction, we can make it sound a bit more pleasing to our audiophile target group in general. (In other words: A string quartet will still sound beautiful, but some Quincy Jones basses will finally shine...)

The former T 1 is discontinued, and only the 2. generation will continue.
Changing drivers of the 1. Generation will not be enough to make it sound like the current 2. Generation. We won't offer modifications. An upgrade program is not planned.
Of course, we will show it at all trade shows, beginnning with IFA in Berlin beginning of September.
Happy to read, by the way, that you like the case. It was a pain in the neck getting it right...

Best,
Klaus

PS: In need to change that avatar...

Hi Klaus, I hope the treble is smoother and bass hits harder as you said. I really liked T51i (the best on-ear HP imo) but T1 was a bit too much treble happy for me.

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #99 of 3,911

Hi Klaus, I hope the treble is smoother and bass hits harder as you said. I really liked T51i (the best on-ear HP imo) but T1 was a bit too much treble happy for me.

Merhaba! Thanks for the compliments about the T 51 i. T 1 (2. Generation) of course sounds much more like the previous version T 1 (1. Generation) than like the T 51. Both headphones are hardly comparable, being on-ear/around-ear and closed-back/semi-open-back models.
Though - you are right - with haveing a bit softer treble and a bit more bass, the T 1 goes slightly(!) to this direction.

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #100 of 3,911

Merhaba! Thanks for the compliments about the T 51 i. T 1 (2. Generation) of course sounds much more like the previous version T 1 (1. Generation) than like the T 51. Both headphones are hardly comparable, being on-ear/around-ear and closed-back/semi-open-back models.
Though - you are right - with haveing a bit softer treble and a bit more bass, the T 1 goes slightly(!) to this direction.

Working on a Sunday?
"A bit in that direction" is fine with me -- not that I missed something essential with the original T1, still the one headphone I keep coming back to again and again. The T51 was a bit too warm for my taste though, so keeping a bit of a distance from that sound signature is reassuring :wink:

But I'm really looking forward to the 2. Gen... I'm even considering the symmetric cable to pair it with my V281.

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #101 of 3,911

Is there going to be a tour or loaner program with the new T1, I would love to compare it to my HD800s with my home system.

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #102 of 3,911
I've been reading the posts regarding the T1 2G's mini-jack connector with interest as I have a pair of Toxic silver headphone cables that I would re-terminate for the T1 2Gs. So, the mini-jacks on the T1 2Gs are NOT propriety connectors? If so, any recommendations for top-shelf pair of mini-jacks for the job?

On a different note, I wonder if Beyerdynamic will offer a made-to-order service on the T1 2Gs as they do for the 880s?

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #103 of 3,911
Polar Audio, distributor of beyerdynamic in the UK, will attend CanJam London 2015 and show the T 1 (2. Generation).
Hope you will like it!
http://london.canjam.org

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #104 of 3,911
very interested in those phones and will love to try them at IFA in Berlin soon :) I have a Hugo as a DAC/Amp and am not sure if this will be suitable. any word on this? if the Hugo is too weak is there a recommendation for an amp?

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #105 of 3,911
  very interested in those phones and will love to try them at IFA in Berlin soon :) I have a Hugo as a DAC/Amp and am not sure if this will be suitable. any word on this? if the Hugo is too weak is there a recommendation for an amp?

Beyerdynamic headphones tend to have a bright sound signature (full size ones), thus they perform better with warm sounding amps. Hugo itself is bright, so I think the combination wouldn't work well. I didn't like the 1st gen T1 with Hugo when I heard it, perhaps 2nd gen will sound different?..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back