New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Feb 22, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #586 of 896
Hey guys!
Can anyone compare these cans to Denons (pref. 2000)? Cuz I had a pair of 2000s and liked em for their sound signature, they sound pretty fun for me (i prefer electronic music) and sibilance wasnt a problem for me. Mostly interested in bass quality and how it works for games (where the sound comes from). Now cant decide Denon 5200 or one of these. So I wonder if these new Beyers are worth to try.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #587 of 896
Hey guys!
Can anyone compare these cans to Denons (pref. 2000)? Cuz I had a pair of 2000s and liked em for their sound signature, they sound pretty fun for me (i prefer electronic music) and sibilance wasnt a problem for me. Mostly interested in bass quality and how it works for games (where the sound comes from). Now cant decide Denon 5200 or one of these. So I wonder if these new Beyers are worth to try.
A friend of mine has the 2000 and to me those and the 700s sound definitely different. If you are looking for the (too) lush bass of the 2000 and their velvety timbre, you'll be disappointed with the 700s. The 700s are more detailed and sound "better" all along the spectrum.
Think of the 2000 like a BMW 6GT and of the 700s like an M5.

Feb 24, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #588 of 896
update:
the 900's have around 180hrs on them (i leave them running with music on the Fiio X3 II) and they are now showing their traits. the vocal sibilance has subdues a tad (still with 8k down a cppl notches) which is more pleasing to the ear. the rest of the spectrum hasn't changed that much, just not as "scratchy" as OTB.

the biggest difference i can tell from beyers of old is the vocals are a lot more focused and no longer in the background. you can clearly hear multi vocals on albums such as Fleetwood Mac - Rumours where all four members are singing.

most noticeable things: they are loud i listen to them at around 10-11oclock on the Asgard 3 where the COP 16r are at 1oclock. they are fast so bring out a lot more bite and timbre to instruments. they are open and recording room acoustics/engineer processing can be heard more easily. they like just about any music i throw at them but will not hide very bad recordings. feed them with some good material and they will blow your socks off at just how good they can be unlike say the DT-880 600r that make everything sound dull in comparison. i liked my 880's but these new 900's are miles better in my view.

the ear cups are not as scratchy (microphonic?) to the touch as say the DT770. you still get that "in cup sound" now and again where you can hear that the recording was meant for speaker playback.

yes there is a sense of instrument placement (soundstage?) but like all headphones that i listen too there is no "forward projection" of sound past my eyes and still give an over the head soundscape?

we have to remember that the new DT-700/900 are £220 give or take at time of writing and given such a modest price they are astonishing, compairing them to more expensive headphones in the £300 upward bracket is no comparison in my view. people should be looking at headphones £300 downward for comparison. are they better than the DT770/990? very much so. are they worth the extra £100 over the DT-770/990? if you value your music quality then yes. i have never listened to the Tesla driver headphones so cant compare. i only really listen to my headphones for an album each night so even spending the price of the DT900 was pushing the boat out for me but i can say its been worth it. i dont subscribe to the never ending gear buying.

if you buy the DT-900 then buy a pair of the DT-700 ear pads as well. it turns the DT-900's into bass monsters.

bottom line is that the new DT-900 ProX are like the DT-990 Pro but with boosted mids to bring the sound curve where it should be.

my gear is a Schiit Asgard 3 with a Fiio x3 ii plugged in via line out so i dont have fancy gear but its good enough to let me hear the difference between headphones.

i'm not a reviewer so dont know all those fancy words they have been taught but if you have a specific thing you would like me to listen out for i'll do my best.

Mar 8, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #589 of 896
Hello All,

So, I've got a pair of DT 700 Pro X and compared them with my DT 770 Pro, I also have DT 990 Pro, but will not include them in comparison for obvious reason. As for sound quality DT 700 superior to DT 770 for me there is no doubts, DT 770 sounds muffled and for me produce smaller sound stage, 700 sounds so much cleaner and wider/deeper. Materials and built quality - not even a question, 700 far better in that regard as well. One may say - that is it for headphones comparison and to some extent would be right, but then I want to talk just a bit about "Pro" thing of both headphones. We are talking about long hours of production and there 770 way better, less weight, more comfortable wear. 700 over tight and after 2-3 hours I'm feeling real discomfort which requires few hours break. I really hope that this will improve over time, just matter of wear them to my head, but I can't remember same with 770, after 10 hour daily use of 770 I feel no discomfort of any type.
Great headphones, but not for 8-10 hours every day use IMO.

Mar 8, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #590 of 896
Hello All,

So, I've got a pair of DT 700 Pro X and compared them with my DT 770 Pro, I also have DT 990 Pro, but will not include them in comparison for obvious reason. As for sound quality DT 700 superior to DT 770 for me there is no doubts, DT 770 sounds muffled and for me produce smaller sound stage, 700 sounds so much cleaner and wider/deeper. Materials and built quality - not even a question, 700 far better in that regard as well. One may say - that is it for headphones comparison and to some extent would be right, but then I want to talk just a bit about "Pro" thing of both headphones. We are talking about long hours of production and there 770 way better, less weight, more comfortable wear. 700 over tight and after 2-3 hours I'm feeling real discomfort which requires few hours break. I really hope that this will improve over time, just matter of wear them to my head, but I can't remember same with 770, after 10 hour daily use of 770 I feel no discomfort of any type.
Yeah I definitely start noticing the clamp force after about 4-5 hours here. I've had these now for about a month or more, and so far no reduction in that force, despite wearing them alot over that time..

Mar 9, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #591 of 896
Hello All,
One may say - that is it for headphones comparison and to some extent would be right, but then I want to talk just a bit about "Pro" thing of both headphones. We are talking about long hours of production and there 770 way better, less weight, more comfortable wear. 700 over tight and after 2-3 hours I'm feeling real discomfort which requires few hours break. I really hope that this will improve over time, just matter of wear them to my head, but I can't remember same with 770, after 10 hour daily use of 770 I feel no discomfort of any type.
You can adjust the clamping force by pulling the cups apart and stretching the headband. But headphones are like shoes, they do get to fit your head better over time but your head and ears also get used to them over time.

Mar 14, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #592 of 896

Quick and dirty thoughts

Spotify Premium on Mac > iFi ZEN DAC Signature > Gustard H10

I’ve been spending most of my time with the Sundara 2020 and a KISS-modded HD 650 of late. On a whim, I decided to head down to the store to audition the DT 900 Pro X, very much not expecting much at all. After all, my favourite Beyers and the only ones I still own are the DT 150 (fitted with DT 100 velour pads).

I’ve owned the DT 770 in both 80 and 250 ohm flavours, DT 990 600 ohm, DT 1770, and T5p G2. To my mind, the DT 150 are the only Beyers I’ve owned that have both tone and tonality nailed. This was true until I heard the DT 900.

Within the first 15 minutes of my audition, I was sold. These sound nothing at all like typical Beyers, and more akin to a Beyer that has received the Sennheiser treatment, in the best possible way.

Yes, they don’t quite have the staging of their predecessors, but even as an avowed stagehead, what they concede in spatiality, they more than make up for with their near-faultless tuning and tone. Clean, natural, balanced, realistic.

They marry the precision and clean, pristine quality of the classic Beyers together with the rich, organic, full-bodied tonality of the Sennheiser HD6xx series. They tilt towards neither the warm/dark/lush/syrupy end of the spectrum, nor cool/lean/dry/analytical. At the risk of veering into hyperbole, these come as close to a veritable Goldilocks tonally to my ears.

There’s no peaky, metallic, ear-shearing treble to be found here. No cold, steely mids. Mids have proper body and presence. Bass is robust and vigorous with plenty of heft and weight and excellent control and extension.

Technically, they compete closer to the Sundara in terms of clarity and resolve, and easily outperform the HD 650 in just about every metric I care for. While they lack the Sundara’s speed and vast, open stage, they bring forth all the qualities I’ve missed in a good dynamic headphone: punch, slam, body, richness, and rhythm.

All this to say: these deserve serious attention, and I’m surprised that more praise hasn’t been heaped upon them.

Sold 'em on impulse, then repurchased them.

I have the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 with Dekoni Elite Velours with TYGR foam discs side by side.

What can I say. The DT 900 Pro X are less open sounding, but much smoother, fuller-bodied and robust. They're also much easier to driver, which is a boon. I still maintain that they're one of the best-tuned Beyers.

The DT 1990 even with Dekoni Elite Velours are more open and effortless, with better macrodynamics, and clarity and separation, and detail retrieval to be sure. Even with the Dekoni Elite Velours and TYGR foam discs, they still have a more open top-end and treble energy, and better controlled and defined bass.

It's a significant step up I'd say, but damn are the DT 900 Pro X a comfy, palatable listen to just kick back and enjoy for casual listening.

That's all for now...

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #593 of 896
Sold 'em on impulse, then repurchased them.

I have the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 with Dekoni Elite Velours with TYGR foam discs side by side.

What can I say. The DT 900 Pro X are less open sounding, but much smoother, fuller-bodied and robust. They're also much easier to driver, which is a boon. I still maintain that they're one of the best-tuned Beyers.

The DT 1990 even with Dekoni Elite Velours are more open and effortless, with better macrodynamics, and clarity and separation, and detail retrieval to be sure. Even with the Dekoni Elite Velours and TYGR foam discs, they still have a more open top-end and treble energy, and better controlled and defined bass.

It's a significant step up I'd say, but damn are the DT 900 Pro X a comfy, palatable listen to just kick back and enjoy for casual listening.

That's all for now...
the DT 1990 are an extra £160 in the UK. thats almost the price of a cheap DAC for people on a budget but want decent cans. the 900's are also easier to drive off DAP's.

one day when funds permit i'll buy a pair of 1990's but i'm extremely happy with the 900's.

i have modded the foam discs and i have reduce the "reverb" in the cups considerably so there is less of that "cup" sound.

Disc-Mod.jpg

i removed the felt discs but it was a bit too much. the removal of the foam as made a substantial difference to sound. it was very finicky to do and requires fly tying scissors and patience lol

Mar 16, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #595 of 896
I'm not adding much to the thread, I know, but after 5 weeks since I purchased the DT700, I'm in awe of them.
My Elegias were more detailed and more comfortable, but I wouldn't go back to them.
It is interesting especially because Elegia came from ~1k price point to $380-ish.

Mar 26, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #598 of 896
the DT 1990 are an extra £160 in the UK. thats almost the price of a cheap DAC for people on a budget but want decent cans. the 900's are also easier to drive off DAP's.

one day when funds permit i'll buy a pair of 1990's but i'm extremely happy with the 900's.

i have modded the foam discs and i have reduce the "reverb" in the cups considerably so there is less of that "cup" sound.

Disc-Mod.jpg

i removed the felt discs but it was a bit too much. the removal of the foam as made a substantial difference to sound. it was very finicky to do and requires fly tying scissors and patience lol
I was trying to increase the high end a little so I tried removing the felt discs also but didn't like the resulting sound. Also tried a flat thin foam pad instead of the stock felt pad but also didn't sound right. Does removing the foam like you did on the stock felt pad result in more high end?

Emailed Beyer a few weeks ago to ask about the price of replacement pads. I was told to check back in 2 months. Since Beyer stresses that most parts are replaceable on their phones, it would be nice if they had parts in stock when the phones were released, not 6 months later.

Mar 26, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #599 of 896
I was trying to increase the high end a little so I tried removing the felt discs also but didn't like the resulting sound. Also tried a flat thin foam pad instead of the stock felt pad but also didn't sound right. Does removing the foam like you did on the stock felt pad result in more high end?

Emailed Beyer a few weeks ago to ask about the price of replacement pads. I was told to check back in 2 months. Since Beyer stresses that most parts are replaceable on their phones, it would be nice if they had parts in stock when the phones were released, not 6 months later.
Thomann to the rescue: https://www.thomann.de/intl/beyerdynamic_edt_900_pro_x_ear_pads.htm and https://www.thomann.de/intl/beyerdynamic_edt_700_pro_x_ear_pads.htm

Mar 30, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #600 of 896
I recently had the opportunity to spend a week with both the DT700PRO and the DT900PRO.
I am the owner of both a set of DT770 250ohm and DT880 600ohms which are my daily drivers and I did a direct comparison between all 4 sets. DAC/Amps used were the ifiZen DAC, Audeze Deckard and iFi PRO iDSD.

The DT700 is quite different from my DT770, even with both being closed. The new DT700 is a much more balanced sound. The DT770's pronounced U-shape is replaced with a much more even handed presentation. Gone is the extreme overbloated bass of the DT770 and you are left with a more accurate bass representation, it is definitely leaner but cleaner. The emphasised treble of the DT770 is also slightly toned down. The biggest difference though is how the DT700 brings the mid range up. Vocals are now front and centre from the previous DT770's recessed sound. The DT700 is a nicely balanced listen. Comfort on the DT700 is still excellent. The larger and wider earpads do fit more snugly around the ear (compared to the thinner DT770 pads) and I guess it will be up to personal preference which is better.

Confusion comes in when switching to the DT900. They feel basically exactly the same on your head as the DT700, the fit is the same and in a blind fit you will be hard pressed to know which set is on your head. The open back design of the DT900 is slight, being just a few slits in the earcup so if you get the DT900 first in the blind fit and without knowing the DT700 you will be hard pressed to know it is an open back. That said, once you have had both on your head, you will quickly feel the "cupping" effect created by the closed back. It is when the music starts that the big differences become evident. The DT900 do offer a more detail and "free-er" treble to my ears at the expense of a touch of bass weight - well actually quite a bit of bass weight. Listening to "We don't care" by Habib Koite and Eric Bibb the drum beats on the DT900 is cleaner and faster while the DT700 emphasizes the drum beats and offer a more rounded low frequency sound. The DT900's open nature also offers a touch wider soundstage. I tested the noise leakage of both and surprisingly the DT900 bleeds very little.

If I had a to buy a set now, I would opt for the DT900.

At 30 odd ohms the new models are much easier to drive and they both make a great combo with the iFi Zen DAC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back