New Beyerdynamic Pro X line: DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X
Oct 12, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #121 of 896
This may sound ridiculous but I am going to wait for some freq charts. I know it doesn't say everything, but I am very sensitive to the 1 to 4K range, this is the range that can cause the most fatigue, due to glare and hardness. Neutral in that range is fine, but preferably a dip, at least in the 1 and 2K range.
Depending on what you thought of the midrange on the DT770, you may find the DT 700 Pro X too forward here. I definitely thought it was too forward sounding especially in the upper midrange.

Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X vs DT770 Pro 80 ohm.jpg

I guess it would be fair to also mention that Beyerdynamic is marketing these towards "creators" and so the DT 700 Pro X's more W-shaped response may be more suited for monitoring based off of this Reddit comment. FWIW, I did not enjoy listening to music with them. Although I don't have the DT770 on hand at the moment, I am very sure I prefer the sound of the DT770.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #123 of 896
I'm the one who measured the DT 700 Pro X, and I also wrote a first impressions here on the headphone subreddit if anyone here would like to read it (especially for my more subjective opinions): https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...t_look_at_the_beyerdynamic_dt_700_pro_x_with/

A bit scared to join the conversation, but I thought I can probably answer some questions regarding the DT 700 Pro X - well at least whatever I can. I've already returned them if that says anything about the headphones.

Regarding the 4kHz dip (and measurements aside), I can confirm that there is a dip here with my ears and an online tone generator. It is pretty severe as it just drops off. Whether or not one is sensitive to that dip is dependent on the person.

The MiniDSP EARS measuring system does indeed show artifacting around 3-5 kHz in most if not all headphones that are measured on it. It's a hobbyist's rig and although it is not be totally accurate, it gives a fair idea of what a headphone sounds like especially in comparison to another headphone measured on the same rig.

The MiniDSP EARS as I mentioned in my original Reddit post and in the Imgur measurement link shows artifacting around 3-5 kHz. You can also see it here on the HD600, HD650, and HD800. I picked these three since a lot of us are familiar with how they sound like. Now we (hopefully) know that the 3-5 kHz region on those 3 headphones does not sound like it looks like here. I should also note on the HD800 in particular here shows a peak at ~7.5kHz which is incorrect and that's also a limitation of the MiniDSP EARS in its inaccuracy in measuring the treble. The HD800 is infamous for its 6kHz peak.

Because of the artifacting in this region, it is very hard for me to compare headphones in this particular region solely based off the MiniDSP EARS measurements. Having measured a fair bit of headphones, I have an idea of what to expect in listening when I see other MiniDSP EARS measurements but I wouldn't say I'm 100% confident. The artifacting is bad enough that I would say to disregard the 3-5 kHz region with MiniDSP EARS measurements especially if you're not familiar with the system.

In conclusion and going back to the DT 700 Pro X, the MiniDSP EARS shows a fairly big dip/null around 4 kHz on the DT 700 Pro X. Even with the MiniDSP EARS artifacting, I do think the null there is actually there when I used an online tone generator.

Thank you for posting this. Do you plan on trying out the DT 900 Pro X as well?

Oct 12, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #124 of 896
Thank you for posting this. Do you plan on trying out the DT 900 Pro X as well?
Most likely no or not anytime soon. I was interested in trying out the DT 700 Pro X since I'm more interested in closed backs especially at that price.

Edit: Err I wanted to add that I had hope to keep them if I liked them since I wanted a relatively decent closed back that wouldn't break the bank, which is why I was more interested in the DT 700 Pro X.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #125 of 896
Just some YT vids on the new Pro X line up...

You get a bit of a better look at the headphones in general....can't wait to grab a pair!

P.s. The headband is user-replaceable! :D

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #126 of 896
I’ve had the 900 Pro X for a few days and I really like how they sound. The usual Beyer treble peak has been tamed while still retaining plenty of detail. The mids are nice, I have no issues with vocals and I really dig the bass in that it does seem to extend quite deep while not being overbearing at all.

Yeah, I know my review is very generic. What can I say, I’m not the best when it comes to describing sound signatures.

With my poor excuse for a review out of the way, I have noticed a potential issue with the soundstage and more specifically the imaging. With the imaging I feel like there are gaps where a sound will be in front and then snap right or left instead of smoothly transitioning. As I do some gaming, it is even more noticeable when using the 900s for this. I know these are not marketed as gaming headphones but I can notice this in some songs as well.

Has anyone else noticed this with their pair?

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #127 of 896
With my poor excuse for a review out of the way, I have noticed a potential issue with the soundstage and more specifically the imaging. With the imaging I feel like there are gaps where a sound will be in front and then snap right or left instead of smoothly transitioning. As I do some gaming, it is even more noticeable when using the 900s for this. I know these are not marketed as gaming headphones but I can notice this in some songs as well.

Has anyone else noticed this with their pair?
After some more extended listening today, I have also noticed some imaging and soundstage inconsistencies compared to my other open back headphones. Specially compared to the HD58X, Hifiman Sundara, and HE-500. Also, in direct comparison it doesn't sound fully open, more like semi-open. So that also affects soundstage a bit. Not really a fair comparison, but my Focal Clear MG Pro is a lot better at directionality, front imaging and sense of openness. Not sure how much of that has to do with the cup design or if it's the different pads, but it has been a while since I've listened to a classic Beyerdynamic (DT880).

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #128 of 896
After some more extended listening today, I have also noticed some imaging and soundstage inconsistencies compared to my other open back headphones. Specially compared to the HD58X, Hifiman Sundara, and HE-500. Also, in direct comparison it doesn't sound fully open, more like semi-open. So that also affects soundstage a bit. Not really a fair comparison, but my Focal Clear MG Pro is a lot better at directionality, front imaging and sense of openness. Not sure how much of that has to do with the cup design or if it's the different pads, but it has been a while since I've listened to a classic Beyerdynamic (DT880).
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. It’s a bit disappointing as without this ‘issue’, I feel that these could really be excellent do it all headphones. That’s not to say they aren’t good, I really do like them. I just find it hard to focus on the sound signature sometimes when I notice the imaging gaps.

Oct 12, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #129 of 896
I don't care about the whys or whyfors - between their terrible tuning choices and failure to recognize the audiophile community runs balanced, Beyer keeps certain they will never get my money.
Obviously you can feel any way you want, and can choose to buy - or not buy - anything that you want. But since you shared your opinion with us, the rest of us can reciprocate. Balanced or not balanced seems like a strange decision criteria. It would seem that sound and build (as someone else has noted) should be the criteria. If these headphones require balance to get acceptable volume and sound quality, and they lack balanced, that would at least to me make more sense…. I for one wish you well in finding headphones that meet all of your criteria!

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #130 of 896
Some more videos....

Well priced down here in Australia, looks like they're becoming available in our DJ/Muso stores like Manny's and StoreDj. Some of these videos gives a good perspective from a music/content creation standpoint and it seems Beyer may have satisfied this portion of the market, Great work Beyerdynamic!

Definitely keen on picking up a pair!

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #131 of 896
Last vid, honest! :hand_splayed:

Stellar.45 Driver design.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #134 of 896
when i bought the dt990 premium 600 ohm i was devastated by the rolled off highs dulling the sound. seems like they did it to the 900 pro x kinda like the dt880 rolling off the highs. wish they would stop doing it. people think extended highs sound harsh or shrill so they dampen the hell out of it to the point it sounds veiled or at the very least blunted or dull. losing sparkle and shimmer kills the musicality to the point i dont enjoy them at all.

Notice how this guy wont stop ranting about the highs lol:

I did a similar thing

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #135 of 896
Both in songs and with a tone generator yes, there is a dip @4khz between 3-5khz, but it does not sound nearly as severe to me as the measurements would indicate. They are far from being sucked into the void. I‘d wait for other measurements not done on Mini DSP.

when i bought the dt990 premium 600 ohm i was devastated by the rolled off highs dulling the sound. seems like they did it to the 900 pro x kinda like the dt880 rolling off the highs. wish they would stop doing it. people think extended highs sound harsh or shrill so they dampen the hell out of it to the point it sounds veiled or at the very least blunted or dull. losing sparkle and shimmer kills the musicality to the point i dont enjoy them at all.

Notice how this guy wont stop ranting about the highs lol:

I did a similar thing

I can only speak for the DT 700, but those have a much better, balanced Treble than either the 770 or 1770. Not a „treble canon“ as some have called them but also not loosing presence, detail or sparkle.

Then again I am not really sensitive to harsh Treble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back