New Beyer or old Beyer
Mar 30, 2006 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MegaMusicNut

New Head-Fier
My 1st journey into the world of fine headphones has been a good one. I received my Beyer DT880's from Headroom about 3 weeks ago and they really are quite wonderfull.
smily_headphones1.gif

After I unpacked them, I was pretty sure I had the new 2006 version. I went over to Headroom today to check out the pricing for the AKG701 and noticed that the DT880's are selling for about $100 more than what I paid. Now I'm wondering if I really do have the new 2006 version of the 880.

The pictures they have now on Headroom of the DT880's are the same pictures they had when I made my purchase. Mine came with a leathery case as opposed to the metal case of previous versions.

Knowing what version I really have won't change the sound, but I'm curious anyway. Anyone know how to tell for sure?

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 11
If it has a rounded grill on the out side of the earpiece, you've got a new one. We always sell at our lowest possible price, so the amount shown on your computer at check out may be higher than the price you actually pay. It's one of theose wierd things with all the "Minimum Advertisable Price" (MAP) regulations that get imposed. We can't show you below MAP prices in your shopping cart, and we haven't been able to do all the programming needed to show you the actual price during the checkout proceedure that is different from the shopping cart price. The way to get around all this hubbub is to call your order in and the sales people can tell you the price on the phone.

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the response Tyll.

When I placed the order, the price I paid was the same price that was listed for the DT880 on the product page and in the checkout page and on the receipt. No ambiguities at all.

Today was the 1st time I saw the new price on the Headroom site and thought to myself that I either bought and received the old ones or I just got lucky and got the new ones at the right time.

When I get home, I'll check to see if I have the rounded grill. I haven't yet placed a picture of my 880's on my desk at work.
tongue.gif

I was under the impression that the only cosmetic differences between the old and the new is that the new ones come in the leathery case and the text on the earpiece grill reads "DT 880" in place of the old "Beyerdynamic".

Thanks again.

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 11
The new one has a different style headband too. Also there is no extension cable included, only a 1/8th to 1/4 adapter.

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 11
actually, IRRC the grills, the metal "arms" and even the head "sponge" are all different between the "old" and "new" sets...

sorry about the terms, not exactly sure of their names but I own the "old" DT880s...

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
The new one has a different style headband too. Also there is no extension cable included, only a 1/8th to 1/4 adapter.

From your avatar it appears that you have the new version with the rounded grills. I'm not sure about the headband, but mine didn't come with the extension cable. I'm waiting for one to arrive so my new cans can vegetate on the couch with me.

I hope you're enjoying yours as much as I am mine.

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaMusicNut
From your avatar it appears that you have the new version with the rounded grills. I'm not sure about the headband, but mine didn't come with the extension cable. I'm waiting for one to arrive so my new cans can vegetate on the couch with me.

I hope you're enjoying yours as much as I am mine.

Mine are the newer version. I do love them for some but not all music. I mostly listen to vocals and classical with mine. They do not excel at rock or metal. I have other cans that do that. The 880s are not leaving me anytime soon, they will be in my collection for a long time.

Now to get some K701s and SA5000s to keep the Beyers company.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 11
I had read during my research that the DT880 was not so great with rock and metal. That's not a big issue for me since the rock I listen to most is on the mellow side and the closest thing I have to metal in my collection of 1500 CD's is AC/DC. And I haven't listened to that in about 5 years.

As far as I'm concerned, individual taste is more important than anything else when deciding which headphone is the 'best.' So I find the contentious arguments as to which headphone is best very entertaining. It's an argument that neither side can win.

I'm trying really hard to limit myself to one pair of headphones, but you guys are not helping. I woudn't mind though providing some companionship for my 880's. The AKG701 and HD650 look like they'd get along nicely with my 880's.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

I'm trying really hard to limit myself to one pair of headphones, but you guys are not helping. I woudn't mind though providing some companionship for my 880's. The AKG701 and HD650 look like they'd get along nicely with my 880's.

Some people here cannot live with one headphone and I am one of them. I will probably order about 5 more dual headphone stands from Headphile if that tells you anything. I think 2 cans from each manufacturer and I will be done.

BTW, I just love how Coldplay and John Legend sound through the DT880s. Magical IMO.

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

I had read during my research that the DT880 was not so great with rock and metal. That's not a big issue for me since the rock I listen to most is on the mellow side and the closest thing I have to metal in my collection of 1500 CD's is AC/DC. And I haven't listened to that in about 5 years.

As far as I'm concerned, individual taste is more important than anything else when deciding which headphone is the 'best.' So I find the contentious arguments as to which headphone is best very entertaining. It's an argument that neither side can win.

I'm generally in the group that thinks you should have two complimentary cans. The HD650 is probably what you'd like, if you want a pair to go with the 880s. The K701 sounded to me more similar to the DT880 than the HD650, but that might just be my ears.

Mar 30, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Thanks for the response Tyll.

When I placed the order, the price I paid was the same price that was listed for the DT880 on the product page and in the checkout page and on the receipt. No ambiguities at all.

Today was the 1st time I saw the new price on the Headroom site and thought to myself that I either bought and received the old ones or I just got lucky and got the new ones at the right time.

When I get home, I'll check to see if I have the rounded grill. I haven't yet placed a picture of my 880's on my desk at work.
tongue.gif

I was under the impression that the only cosmetic differences between the old and the new is that the new ones come in the leathery case and the text on the earpiece grill reads "DT 880" in place of the old "Beyerdynamic".

Thanks again.

You were charged the price for the older DT880's since Beyer increased the price on the newer models. This is what Todd told me when he had to charge me a slightly higher price than the one he quoted for me in an email (the price quote was for the older model. Todd didn't realize Beyer increased the price for the newer DT880's). When Beyer charges a higher price for their phones, the costs go down the line, forcing merchants to charge more to make some kind of profit. That's why both HeadRoom and Todd have to charge more for the newer Beyers. So you're right, consider yourself lucky! You got the newer model at the right time, before HeadRoom had to up their price.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back