NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Jun 14, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #1,366 of 2,072
So from my understanding, Dolby Atmos (without head tracking) does support all headphones, if I'm not mistaken the device deals with the 3D effect before sending it out as an audio stream. I could be wrong on this additional point, but I do not believe that Apple Music will send out a 5.1 (or whatever surround sound) stream out, but I may be mistaken on that point.

But Apple has been clear that you don't need a pair of AirPods Pro or AirPods Max to listen to Dolby Atmos/Spatial Audio. However, in iOS 15, the support for head tracking Spatial Audio will be implemented and that will require the AirPods Pro or AirPods Max to use. iOS 15 also will do head-tracking stereo too.
I am very sure, that when I last tried Dolby Atmos with the H95 I saw the Dolby Atmos sign on my iPhone. Now, After connecting my iPhone with the H95, the sign disappears when I Start playing the song.

Edit: Just forgot to Set it on always on.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #1,367 of 2,072
I listened to a few tracks on Apple Music that had the lossless and Atmos logos. Atmos doesn’t work with non-Apple gear. Listened to same tracks on Tidal. Masters quality on some and just HiFi on others. Apple makes my H95 sound like a pair of Beats Solo 3’s. I like my Apple products but I just can get on with their audio outside of using my iPhone as a delivery device.

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #1,368 of 2,072
I listened to a few tracks on Apple Music that had the lossless and Atmos logos. Atmos doesn’t work with non-Apple gear. Listened to same tracks on Tidal. Masters quality on some and just HiFi on others. Apple makes my H95 sound like a pair of Beats Solo 3’s. I like my Apple products but I just can get on with their audio outside of using my iPhone as a delivery device.
Atmos does work with non-Apple gear. Go into settings and enable it.

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #1,370 of 2,072
I had Atmos set to automatic. My Bass Boost was turned on EQ so I turned that off. I set Quality to the highest and will test again.
Atmos would need to be set to always on for it to work with other headphones. No head tracking (for third parties, that that’s not supported for first parties outside of beta software anyways).

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #1,371 of 2,072
Tested it out with a wired set of IEM's I had at my desk. Sounds better than standard Apple Music. Compared to Tidal or Qobuz, not even close. I would love to drop my subscriptions but Apple Music has a long ways to go.

Jul 18, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #1,375 of 2,072
Does the sound wipe the floor vs Sony XM. Beats it by a mike ot not - i want good audio and ANC in one package.
The H95 sound definitely trounces the Sony XMs. ANC, while good, is definitely inferior to XMs, however. The best combo of sound quality and strong ANC is the AirPods Max.

Jul 24, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #1,377 of 2,072
Went to a B&O store to test the H95
I brought my H9i and B&W P9 to have a term of comparison for "mobility use" and a more "quiet hotel room use"
I entered with the firm intention of not buying them.
Well, you can imagine how it went

IMG_20210724_172430__01.jpg

Jul 24, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #1,378 of 2,072
Went to a B&O store to test the H95
I brought my H9i and B&W P9 to have a term of comparison for "mobility use" and a more "quiet hotel room use"
I entered with the firm intention of not buying them.
Well, you can imagine how it went
With all due respect, the P9 is not a very good pair of headphones. For a similar price you can get something for superior, like for example a Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed

Jul 25, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #1,379 of 2,072
Let me try to explain a bit better:
Without ANC I found both the H95 and the H9i very similar (this should highlight how good the H9i are)
However, the H95 seems to maintain the same sound signature also with ANC on.

Now, the shop was relatively quiet, so the seller agreed on an extended full refound/return policy. In this way I can test the H95 in the "real world" and decide if it is worth the upgrade :)

@X1787X I have a love hate relationship with the P9. Tbh I think my fav "portable" headphones for quite environments are still the Amiron wireless, however I don't have them with me atm, so I couldn't bring them yesterday :)

Jul 26, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #1,380 of 2,072
Hello, thank you for welcoming me to the forum!

I've been using a BeoPlay H6 2nd Gen for about 5 years and still love the sound. However, when I'm on the road, the cable bothers me, so I wanted to switch to Bluetooth. I went to the B&O store and directly auditioned both the HX and H95 in comparison to my H6. Took me almost an hour in the store, always changing back and forth.

My conclusion, in terms of sound:

H6 2nd Gen > H95 > HX

I suspect that is due to the Bluetooth connection and the respective codecs. Some parts in songs sound very compressed and almost painful. The H95 handles it a bit better, but the H6 makes it sound so much smoother. Can't put it more accurately unfortunately. Listening via an iPhone, so maybe Android users have a different experience.

Has anyone had the same experience as me?

Otherwise, I think they're actually very awesome, especially the controls. Well, wearing comfort could be better, the ear cups are a bit too narrow for my taste. But a whole 800 euros for a "subpar" sound experience? Worth it? Had considered ordering them for the 30-day test period, in the hope that my impression would change. But I'm not sure if that makes sense.

EDIT:

Also,

(1) when using USB Audio on iPhone, would (singleport) lightning to camera adapter + USB A to C cable work?
(2) Is there a full list of changelogs available? I've been reading through reviews since day one and would like to have a quick overview if some of the issues have been addressed so far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back