NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Mar 31, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,217 of 2,072
Because it has improved controls for volume (and to a lesser extent, transparency/ANC), the Portal seems preferable over the HX, doesn’t it? The only advantage of the HX that I can see is that it comes with a case.

They have very different earcup / hinge designs and that alone may make one prefer one over the other for comfort or ergonomical reasons.

And of course FR curve might be totally different.

Mar 31, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #1,218 of 2,072
They have very different earcup / hinge designs and that alone may make one prefer one over the other for comfort or ergonomical reasons.

And of course FR curve might be totally different.
All I can tell is that the Portal ear cups pivot and thus may be more comfortable. Seems unlikely that the FR curve is different, doesn't it? Here's a rave review of the Portal.

Mar 31, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,220 of 2,072
Mar 31, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #1,223 of 2,072
Not terrible but no ANC during voice calls is a showstopper for many.

Yes, this is one of many, many flaws, so important for majority of people. Maybe price must not be 150€ but 99€.

Mar 31, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #1,224 of 2,072
Because it has improved controls for volume (and to a lesser extent, transparency/ANC), the Portal seems preferable over the HX, doesn’t it? The only advantage of the HX that I can see is that it comes with a case.

Carrying case + better battery life are the only pros of HX.

Frequency response is probably going to be totally different, but I'm 99% sure that will be mainly because of different DSP tuning (neither headphones can be used passively when switched off, so there's no way to bypass the internal DSP to hear how the actual drivers sound) and for a minor part because of the design changes (different ear cups and cushions).
The drivers are probably exactly the same, given B&O provides the exact same specs (attached) - it wouldn't even make business sense to use different ones.

Attachments

• B7o.JPG
    B7o.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 31, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #1,225 of 2,072
Frequency response is probably going to be totally different, but I'm 99% sure that will be mainly because of different DSP tuning (neither headphones can be used passively when switched off, so there's no way to bypass the internal DSP to hear how the actual drivers sound) and for a minor part because of the design changes (different ear cups and cushions).
The drivers are probably exactly the same, given B&O provides the exact same specs (attached) - it wouldn't even make business sense to use different ones.

The drivers' specs are indeed the same but drivers are but one part of what makes for the final FR curve. Everything that surrounds it has a crucial impact on the resulting FR curve, whether on a test rig or on your own head.
Pads, notably, have a tremendous impact on FR curve. For example this link : https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/earpads/
Same applies to venting / porting holes, shape of the ear cavity, etc.
So the DSP alone isn't what's going to cause the differences in terms of FR curve.
Given that B&O's past headphones have pretty random and inconsistent FR curves, it's very difficult to anticipate anything in that regard.

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #1,226 of 2,072
Carrying case + better battery life are the only pros of HX.

Except for the pivoting aspect, how are the ear cups and cushions on the Portal different from those on the HX?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #1,227 of 2,072
Except for the pivoting aspect, how are the ear cups and cushions on the Portal different from those on the HX?
Different shape for a start, they have a bulge at the bottom rear of the ear to better conform to most people's anatomy, although it could have simply been a solution decided upon to compensate for the different headband to cup arm / hinge / pivot mechanism (the design they've chosen for the Portal often has much less range of motion than the usual yoke mechanism, at least on other headphones, which can cause issues for some people to fully seal around the ear).
But everything else also matters (foam material, type of leather, volume of the ear cavity, locking mechanism), and that's just for the pads.
Other potential areas for discrepancies are the size / design of the acoustic vents, the design of the volume at the rear of the drivers, etc.
In other words that two headphones share the same driver itself means nothing for the actual resulting FR curve.

Mar 31, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #1,230 of 2,072
+1😆
edit: I don’t mind all the flaws mentioned: these headphones deliver an amazing sound of music. And this is for my main use and delight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back