New BA IEMs from Brainwavz?
Dec 14, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #76 of 187
Crap!
tongue.gif
Can i just copy/paste? Cause I will have 98% of the same to say outside of the comparisons.  Only thing I can add is the bass isn't as soft with firmer tips if one has them.

Really getting excited/looking forward to the dual driver and hybrid. They should be excellent.

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #78 of 187
The B100 arrived earlier today and I've already put some hours of listening on it, also briefly comparing it to the B150.

I can sufficiently say that both sound more similar than different, and that that the difference is that the B100 has got the somewhat less warm and lush lower vocals, along with a bit more presence in the upper highs. Due to the lesser amount of warmth, the upper bass kick is delivered more prominently and cymbals are less smoothed out.
I haven't gone into critical listening yet and probably will not in this year, however my brief comparison with the B150 hasn't really showed a difference in terms of detail retrieval and the B100's soundstage might even appear a little airier.

So my impression is that while the tuning difference isn't significant at all, the B150 is better suited for those who want a somwehat warmer and smoother sound whereas the B100 is better for those who are looking for comparatively less warmth in the lower midrange which makes the upper bass appear to kick a bit more, along with a bit more presence in the upper treble.

Anyway, Brainwavz has done a good job tuning these two. Both aren't bass-light for single-BA standards (yet definitely don't really belong into the bassy and impactful territory) and offer the nimbleness expected from BA-based in-ears. Besides the upcoming B200, I would definitely welcome to see Brainwavz bringing out some multi-BA in-ears in the future.

Chris out.

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #79 of 187
  The B100 arrived earlier today and I've already put some hours of listening on it, also briefly comparing it to the B150.

I can sufficiently say that both sound more similar than different, and that that the difference is that the B100 has got the somewhat less warm and lush lower vocals, along with a bit more presence in the upper highs. Due to the lesser amount of warmth, the upper bass kick is delivered more prominently and cymbals are less smoothed out.

I haven't gone into critical listening yet and probably will not in this year, however my brief comparison with the B150 hasn't really showed a difference in terms of detail retrieval and the B100's soundstage might even appear a little airier.

So my impression is that while the tuning difference isn't significant at all, the B150 is better suited for those who want a somwehat warmer and smoother sound whereas the B100 is better for those who are looking for comparably less warmth in the lower midrange which makes the upper bass appear to kick a bit more, along with a bit more presence in the upper treble.

Anyway, Brainwavz has done a good job tuning these two. Both aren't bass-light for single-BA standards (yet definitely don't really belong into the bassy and impactful territory) and offer the nimbleness expected from BA-based in-ears. Besides the upcoming B200, I would definitely welcome to see Brainwavz bringing out some multi-BA in-ears in the future.

Chris out.

I'm with you on those differences Chris.

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #80 of 187
Just recieved the B100 and while I have not heard the B150 I own enough headphones like that to appreciate what your saying in regards to the difference. The B100 is incredibly balanced and intricate while managing to not be overly critical and dry. I appreciate they don't have that clinical sound that sometimes happens with single BA's that are this neutral.

Given their pricing these are an easy IEM to recommend. I can't think of any IEM I have heard at this price point that has this level of detail and musicality. They are not going to be for a bass head (or are they?) but anyone looking to see how good a balanced BA based IEM can sound should just order a pair. You will never find a better entry level point to try.

I have a couple other single BA IEM's on hand, an older UE600vi and the Klipsch X7 which Jude recommends in his latest buying guide. I will do some comparisons soon but can say I suspect these will easily stand up to both of those BA IEMs and could be actually better than both. I will start with the X7 because it's more modern and has the most similar signature. I suspect the UE600vi will be more like the B150.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #83 of 187
I suspect the the B100 uses a siren or Knowles SR type driver. Try bumping 2.5Khz or so down a tick. I also used to breath on 16K (up) when I could still hear that high and I had some PL50s that used a siren. PL50 as a bit bass tight but has a very small housing. The siren is vented so a larger housing will give more apparent bass. If that makes it even more neutral an open, it's a Siren. If so the may B150 could sound a hair dryer, faster, and more delineated. Pure speculation but the specs of the b100 fits into a siren and it's a cheaper but still VG driver to keep the price down.

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #84 of 187
Well, the FedEx guy stopped by today and I've got B100 in my ears right now. Listening to Eagles out of LPG. Reading over HiFiChris's description above made me laugh a bit because I asked if they could please send me the warmer pair but looks like that didn't pan out. Oh well...

They're smaller and more comfortable than I thought they'd be from the pictures. I was a bit worried the edge just behind the cable entry would dig into my ear, but that isn't happening at all. The ear guides are small and formed just right for my ears. Glasses wearers should be happy with these!

Isolation is very good for me with the stock medium tips. I'm going to try the small tips later with deeper insertion and see which I prefer. Microphonics are minimal.

Sound is good. Better than I thought it'd be, honestly. Just on the warmer side of neutral. Soundstage is pretty good. Sibilance is well under control, which is very welcome.

I've got a few other single-BA IEM to put these up against in the near future. Should be fun!

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #85 of 187
Man, I feel a bit left out. I wanna hear some of this BA goodness!

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #86 of 187
Well, the FedEx guy stopped by today and I've got B100 in my ears right now. Listening to Eagles out of LPG. Reading over @HiFiChris's description above made me laugh a bit because I asked if they could please send me the warmer pair but looks like that didn't pan out. Oh well...

They're smaller and more comfortable than I thought they'd be from the pictures. I was a bit worried the edge just behind the cable entry would dig into my ear, but that isn't happening at all. The ear guides are small and formed just right for my ears. Glasses wearers should be happy with these!

Isolation is very good for me with the stock medium tips. I'm going to try the small tips later with deeper insertion and see which I prefer. Microphonics are minimal.

Sound is good. Better than I thought it'd be, honestly. Just on the warmer side of neutral. Soundstage is pretty good. Sibilance is well under control, which is very welcome.

I've got a few other single-BA IEM to put these up against in the near future. Should be fun!

Sweet, I went and picked mine up after reading your post. I had forgotten Fedex tried to deliver on thursday (wasn't home to sign for it unfortunately) and was holding it at a pick up centre. Listening to the B100 as I type this as well :) Gonna be fun comparing the two siblings and to others in similar price brackets!

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #88 of 187
I found the comply tips made the B100 warmer sounding reducing the treble a bit but did not change the bass impact. They made an excellent isolating IEM even more isolating though, very impressive.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #89 of 187
Just curious for my own info, how do you find the comply tips we included in terms of the affect on the sound?

I just tried them. A little difficult to put on the earphones vs. silicone but they sound good. Nice stage and more natural and transparent then the silicone. Iso is about the same as a firm silicone so not much different in isolation. I did say earlier that like a bit firmer silicone than the ones I got with the B150 but the foams are a great match and good choice. Red color is nice too!

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #90 of 187
Just curious for my own info, how do you find the comply tips we included in terms of the affect on the sound?

Still stand by my earlier posting with comply foam though the supplied medium comply foam don't fit my ears but instead used..see below

If any you have comply foam T-130 made for Phonak Audeo ..pls try them on!( Size Large)

Have the B100 and with them....its simply awesome ...timbre of bass is sublime and really bring out the texture....detail and clarity also seem more focused imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back